How Danny Clarke Turned His Family Eyecare Practice Into A $3 Million Business Focused On...

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
So... a 41 y.o. OD bought his dad's practice that was doing almost 2 mil/year in 2010... They have 5 doctors on staff and he travels and consults about "sharing all your financial info with your employees" and 8 years later the practice is doing 3 mil/year in 2018.

Expected revenue. Wonder what his actual 2017 revenue was. Looks like he's a good marketer. He got Forbes to do an article. I guess reporters need material badly.

How Danny Clarke Turned His Family Eyecare Practice Into A $3 Million Business Focused On Employees
Forbes
For Danny Clarke, who followed his father to optometry school at the University of Houston, the business side of being a doctor is even more interesting than the science. “My dad relied on crisis management,” he says. “I wanted to do things differently ...

Continue reading...
Calvin Clarke was in my class of 1972 Danny Clarke was born during our first year of optometry school.

Calvin always had a good od practice, but I had no idea that Danny had turned the practice into a mega business.

Congratulations. It shows what optometry can be.

Reactions: Frederick Frost
Ed, it looks like he did $1.8million in 2010 (a year after The Great Recession). I'd say your classmate had a mega business.

It is always easier to make $3,000,000 when you start off with almost $2,000,000.

I do love me some optometry...

Reactions: Jonathan Warner
I’m not sure why were putting an Asterisk on what this doctor did. The practice grew 66% in eight years and there’s a lot more to the management just letting the employees in on the numbers; that is all that is been discussed in the article. This is outstanding job of running a multi doctor practice, and developing outside sources of income which should be viewed as an outstanding success.

Congratulations to him.

1.8M to an est. 3M in eight years is good growth as far as I can tell, especially for an established practice.
Congratulations to Dr. Clark and his office.

Take home for me, keep working with my colleagues in my office to keep the financial lines of communication open. This does not mean they look at the P&L every quarter, but they sure need to know how much the office is paying vendors, occupancy, taxes, insurance, utilities/telecomm and so on. They also need to have a monthly revenue goal. If the budget calls for say $50,000 in expenses for the month and we generate $44,000 everyone needs to know that. Likewise if we generate $80,000 that month they need to know. They also need to have some sort of reward for that effort in my opinion.

It is too easy for folks just to think "things work out". They can help them work out if they know what is required to operate on budget.

I’m not sure why were putting an Asterisk on what this doctor did. The practice grew 66% in eight years and there’s a lot more to the management just letting the employees in on the numbers; that is all that is been discussed in the article. This is outstanding job of running a multi doctor practice, and developing outside sources of income which should be viewed as an outstanding success.

Congratulations to him.
No asterisk on the doctor or practice. Asterisk on Forbes.

Last edited:
Danny Clarke is a member of the Cleinman network, and he was at this past weekend's network meeting. I spoke to two different practice owners who implemented the Great Game after attending his March conference, and they both raved about the changes seen in their practices since then. It's a LOT of work, but seems to be a very effective strategy.

(No financial interest, just a happy member of the Cleinman network.)