Optometrist Dr Sydney Bush dies aged 90 - AOP

Dr. Bush was a really interesting guy! We had our moments with him here, sad to see his passing.

Reactions: Kristin Bartlett
I had the opportunity to get to know Dr. Bush better than most people here. I was very upset with him at first for his claims that I thought were very unsubstantiated. I challenged him to prove his claims which made him very angry.

However, as I got to know him and even spoke with him on the phone and corresponded by email, I realize that a lot of the things he said had some validation in studies that I could find in the US Library of medicine.

For those who are unfamiliar with his work, he was a big believer in vitamin C to cure almost anything, and the most diseases are some version of scurvy, or chronic lack of vitamin C.

He showed me retinal photos showing reversing of atherosclerosis after intense treatment with vitamin C over months to years.

He received no accolades for his work and was harassed by not only other doctors, but even the British healthcare system. It was clear to me from my conversations that he had paid a high price for daring to believe something against the main stream of medicine.

His research however did leave me to understand a greater value of vitamin C and other supplements, knowledge that I have passed down to my patients. So his work to an extent always live on in my practice.

By sincerest condolences to his family.

Reactions: Kristin Bartlett
Sad, he had the best interest of his patients at heart. He was not great on scientific method, but he had many ideas that were anecdotally sound but need more rigorous testing. I spoke to him a few times and he did tend to ramble as he did in his postings, but that seemed to be because he was just so full of ideas.

You had a good run my friend.

Reactions: Frederick Frost
Hail and Farewell...

I banned once this unabashed shameless promoter.

After years of his pleading, I allowed him back in with the proviso of only monitoring topics and no more vitamin C evangelizing.

He could not help him himself and we are back sneaking the Vitamin C story back. You You can bet as night follows day there will be a Bush promotion waiting in the wings.

That will not happen!

Dr Sydney Bush, I'm closing this topic. The Internet is huge. Surely the Vitamin C folks have a place to share their miracle cures and longevity stories. ODwire.org is not the place.

Unless of course if Vitamin C can cure "The Dry Eye Problem" sweeping the world.

I went back to 2004 to find this....Paul..am I missing something?

Was he promoting vitamin C or his sale of a product?

Do you truly think that you were right in banning him? Because "you" thought his ideas were incorrect?

MIGHT I REMIND YOU OF ONE OF YOUR CONTEMPORARIES....https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/chemistry/1954/pauling/facts/

Now will you look at that...Oregon State University???
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-C

On the other hand...

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pauling.html

I guess when you aren't sure, perhaps its beneficial to err on the side of listening and making your own decision..

It's what I have always suggested. Listen and decide for yourself. Why do we feel we are so smart..so self righteous that we know what is fact and what is fiction.

Those supporting claims do indeed often have an agenda...those shooting holes in those claims often have an equal agenda.

We listen we learn..we should not sit in judgement unless we are in a court of law and are required to make a judgement.

Otherwise you are of the same make up of those who sought to exterminate and still do certain groups of people.

Dr. Bush is gone....rest in peace...he lived longer than many of us will...but he tried to disseminate information that he felt was beneficial...and you loudly proclaim that "YOU banned him"..hope you are indeed proud.

I do not remember the entire story so I'm not in a particular place to judge myself..I just read this old post and wondered why you felt it necessary to ban someone?

Others have been banned...perhaps rightfully..perhaps not...I always say..
Its your board...do what you want.

Here...ban me!

I am truly fascinated by this topic.https://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-conten...-J-Bush-Cardio-Retinometry-Vitamin-C-2013.pdf

I actually woke up at 4:15 this morning with my stupid high blood pressure because I remembered Fred's comment about how Dr.Bush claimed he could fix everything with Vitamin C

I go to a board certified fellowship trained cardiologist.

The other day I was chatting with him about my BP of 214...that's right 214...I'll put up a picture.

He said...Allan, we need to get you in for a Vitamin C blood level..then we need to infuse you with Vitamin C.

I politely asked..you know Dr. I see these places in strip centers.

He said..they don't give you "enough" vitamin C. I'm talking serious doses.

We shall see..but for the moment, I am not interested in promoting anything...just not disputing things you/we know nothing about.

IMG_8175.jpg

Ok quick reference News: Vitamin C for Sepsis Remains Controversial : Emergency Medicine News
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins › journals › ...
by R Sorelle · 2017
Patients in the treatment group received 1.5 g IV vitamin C every six hours, 50 mg hydrocortisone IV push every six hours for four days, and 200 mg intravenous thiamine every 12 hours for four days. This cocktail was given as an adjunct to usual care for sepsis in the intensive care unit, Dr. Marik said.

It may be more than C itself, check out this guy. Dr. Paul E. Marik proclaims end to corticosteroid monotherapy for sepsis ...
MDedge › article › critical-care › dr-paul...
Mar 8, 2018 · Dr. Marik became a celebrity in the critical care medicine community after he and his colleagues reported the results of his retrospective study evaluating the combination of hydrocortisone, vitamin C, and thiamine for treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock (Chest. 2017 June.