Big W exits optometry; will close 41 stores, 175 jobs affected - Insight News

I know lots of good optometrists that work at WalMart stores/opticals around the country. It is a “decent” place to work as far as I know and those optometrist suffer from the same discrimination that I do in the State of Texas. They are cool with me and I do not support disparaging them on this website.

This is the equivalent to Walmart optical.

Glad they failed. Now the optometrists should go work somewhere else decent.
Sadly don't think there is a shortage of corporates hiring. But yes, a very good thing that Big W gets its arse out of optical.

This may have been discussed before. But does the American OD degree reciprocate in Australia at all?
You have to sit board exams especially for foreigners-there is no board exam for Australian optometrists. But, if you were Australian optometrist and wanted to practice in America you would have to get the degree and then boards so easier the other way around.

I know lots of good optometrists that work at WalMart stores/opticals around the country. It is a “decent” place to work as far as I know and those optometrist suffer from the same discrimination that I do in the State of Texas. They are cool with me and I do not support disparaging them on this website.

He didn't mention the ODs, he mentioned the employer. I don't disparage my colleagues either but I do strongly believe that many employers and corporations and not good for optometry, optometrists or patients. I don't think the refract and refer model is good for anyone but a greedy corporation whose only goal is to sell as many pairs of glasses as possible...eye and systemic health be damned. If you are discouraged from practicing full scope care (for fear of your job commonly I hear) and don't have the needed equipment is that a good situation for optometry and patients?

I do think some situations and locations can turn a really good OD into a mediocre one.