Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Hey everyone!

This year's conference is going to be massive: 60 credits (50% more than when we started in 2015), at the same price as prior years. The exhibit hall this year has the most companies we've ever had at a show.

I'll use this thread as updates to the event come in.

Look forward to seeing everyone there, should be a fun event

-- ad

Yep. By far the best speaker program. Very diverse with twists like pediatricians telling what they really know and ER docs among plenty of A list recognizable Odwire names.

More vendors mean more discounts on equipment and services.

massive amount of work but it should be by far the best conference we ever put on. Deserves it with a 2020 tag on it!

This year's conference is going to be massive: 60 credits (50% more than when we started in 2015), at the same price as prior years.

The added sponsors have helped to keep the same prices, although inflation has made everything more expensive.

Our goal is quality COPE approved C/E at a price you can afford.

Your way to show your appreciation is to visit the sponsor's virtual booths. Say hello to the sales reps standing by and learn about show discounts. It's like Vision Expo from the comfort of your home or office.

This year we're focusing on making sure the vendors all keep their show specials running for as long as possible.

We'll also be sending out more e-mails to registrants as new 'deals' come up in the run-up to the conference, so it makes sense to register during the early bird period.

In the past, the savings in the exhibit hall have been large, similar to expo, etc. ODs have spent several million dollars in the exhibit hall over the past 5 years, I suspect many docs wait to buy until an event like ours. (Sort of like a 'black friday' situation.)

Reactions: Steve Silberberg
Early bird registration is now well underway.

I've updated the conference site to reflect all the approved COPE IDs for the lectures; there are only a couple left that we don't have the details for!

The breadth of classes this year is particularly good -- speakers include an ER doc, pediatrician, and a PhD immunologist!
(the immunologist is going to discuss manipulating the ocular microbiome to prevent disease...)

Early bird registration is now well underway.

I've updated the conference site to reflect all the approved COPE IDs for the lectures; there are only a couple left that we don't have the details for!

The breadth of classes this year is particularly good -- speakers include an ER doc, pediatrician, and a PhD immunologist!
(the immunologist is going to discuss manipulating the ocular microbiome to prevent disease...)
Yes many more but DR. Leger Phd, I found in a article in Nature outside the Optometric /OMD literature. His work shows how we by Rxing certai drugs are actually destroying normal flora that I never heard of that exists in the ocular tissues. Not giving much a way here but landmark research!!

Best CE of its kind!

And you can learn in your underwear!! Woo hoo.

199b82ca6a03685c1b9fd90be1deb85d.jpg

Just put scotch tape on the computer camera. We don’t want any arrests
Fortunately the only people who will be on camera are me and gretchyn, and I promise we'll wear pants...
maybe.

You did not just dare me not to wear pants, did you?? :D

By now you should have received an invitation to participate in CEwire2020.

The holiday season is coming up in the next few days and there will be many fun distractions.

A word of advice if you plan on taking C/E credit courses register now while thinking about it. The early bird pricing ends on 1/1/20. Save yourself $30 by signing up before 1/1/20. Hopefully now while reading this and thinking about it.

Go to www.CEwire2020.com.

Hey everyone!

This year's conference is going to be massive: 60 credits (50% more than when we started in 2015), at the same price as prior years. The exhibit hall this year has the most companies we've ever had at a show.

-- ad
I have been attending the Texas Optometric Association convention over 25 years. I missed last year because of a health problem

The convention has been held in Austin, Tx for years. The previous hotel in the north of Austin became too small for the large turnout .

The TOA hotel rate was about $180 per night. On a regular weekend the room cost was about $99 per night

About 5 years ago the convention moved to downtown Austin and the room rate was about $220-250 per night and parking was extra

This year because of the large turnout we moved to a new hotel about 1 block away, the TOA rate is $274 before taxes plus parking. Three nights at the hotel is over $1000. In the past I have taken 4 to 6 staff members, but three rooms will now be over $3000

The registration fee after December 20 for TOA members is $595. I can get all my hours including the required ethics class for the year, plus attending special non credit classes will get you a $200 rebate which I have donated back to the TOA

Flying from Dallas is $200 or the cool bus with first class seats is $200. Driving for me is about 4 hours on a constantly worked on highway

I have always enjoyed this convention, the interaction with friends and meeting the many students who attend the convention.

However, everyone has a number and I think they have reached my number to not attend this year

it has been a tradition for me for so many years to attend this convention and I am saddened that I have been priced out this year

However, everyone has a number and I think they have reached my number to not attend this year

CEwire2020 can give you 8 hours of the 16 hours required annually

TX 16 1 year per year Up to 8 hours on line

If the expense is an issue for you, imagine a recent graduate with a growing family having to take time away from home and office.

Optometric state boards have to address the question...

Is public better served having ODs forced to sit in a classroom without a quiz to guarantee comprehension
(ie not dozing through the course) versus an on line lecture where the instructor is present to answer questions and a quiz for comprehension?

On line can be accomplished for under $3 per credit hour which is within the budget of every OD.

Let's learn the counter argument from optometric state board decision makers.

By now you should have received an invitation to participate in CEwire2020.

The holiday season is coming up in the next few days and there will be many fun distractions.

A word of advice if you plan on taking C/E credit courses register now while thinking about it. The early bird pricing ends on 1/1/20. Save yourself $30 by signing up before 1/1/20. Hopefully now while reading this and thinking about it.

Go to www.CEwire2020.com.
are transcripts also available

I've participated in this CE every year...but not on the "live" day. I usually do it months later and take the test. If you are watching the lectures live do you still have to take the tests? I ask because if you don't have to take the test I would block days out of my work schedule to do it "live" k

I've participated in this CE every year...but not on the "live" day. I usually do it months later and take the test. If you are watching the lectures live do you still have to take the tests? I ask because if you don't have to take the test I would block days out of my work schedule to do it "live" k

You must attend the courses on Saturday and Sunday 2/8/20 and 2//9/20 when the instructors are standing by to answer questions in real time. You can take and pass the test anytime after that.

If you do not pass first time you can review the course and retake the exam. The key for"interactive" is being interactive with the lecturer as if you were sitting in a live classroom.

You must attend the courses on Saturday and Sunday 2/8/20 and 2//9/20 when the instructors are standing by to answer questions in real time. You can take and pass the test anytime after that.

If you do not pass first time you can review the course and retake the exam. The key for"interactive" is being interactive with the lecturer as if you were sitting in a live classroom.
In the classroom/lecture hall you don't take a test...that's why I was wondering. So even if we attend the interactive day the test still has to be taken, right?

Take the course...spend 50 minutes attending...pass the quiz.
The courses
Information automatically sent to your state board.
the courses allow you to print a transcript + we send to ARBO if you give us your OE tracker number automatically. Easy peasy and we do all the work.

In the classroom/lecture hall you don't take a test...that's why I was wondering. So even if we attend the interactive day the test still has to be taken, right?

For C/E credit when taking a course on line even if interactive, requires quiz required to prove comprehension.

For some reason the decision makers believe sitting in a classroom even if napping or playing video games on your iPhone magically allows the material to be absorbed. :rolleyes:

No exam required.

Reactions: Ronald Bodman
For C/E credit when taking a course on line even if interactive, requires quiz required to prove comprehension.

For some reason the decision makers believe sitting in a classroom even if napping or playing video games on your iPhone magically allows the material to be absorbed. :rolleyes:

No exam required.
Ron : I audit the tests for content, Form (which is very specific per ARBO/COPE) . We try and make sure the tests are fair and if you watch the lecture you should pass. ARBO requires 70% to pass BTW

We encourage all the speakers to have their slides and notes available for the future for the benefit of the attendees. Believe me, Paul, Adam and I do this firstly for Optometric education and the good of the profession to give the best education at a ridiculously inexpensive price. If we make minimum wage for the hours we put in and the expenses we incur it would be a surprise!

Reactions: Richard Pagan
Right now is not listed on the Texas Optometry Board website. In the past, they have accepted hours as "live" if you do it during those interactive hours. Looking forward to it. I find a pitcher of margaritas improves my retention:)

Right now is not listed on the Texas Optometry Board website. In the past, they have accepted hours as "live" if you do it during those interactive hours. Looking forward to it. I find a pitcher of margaritas improves my retention:)

Best to check with your state board regarding "live and interactive". if they say yes please post on this topic to allow other Texas ODs the benefit of this information.

Just to clarify, previous years Texas did approve CEWire as "live." I think they just need a notice from CEWire regarding the interactive nature to again get it approved as such. I just noticed that it is not listed on the Texas Board website.

Just to clarify, previous years Texas did approve CEWire as "live." I think they just need a notice from CEWire regarding the interactive nature to again get it approved as such. I just noticed that it is not listed on the Texas Board website.

thanks for the heads up. We'll follow up.

Just a quick update for everyone --

The CEwire2020 site is now up-to-date with a bunch of new courses and speakers.

Check it out to see the latest. We've got a huge number of OD-MD collaboration lectures this year. It feels like half the anterior seg docs at Wills are going to be there :)

Just about all the lectures have made it through COPE, so we're in the home stretch coming up to the live portion of the event.

Over the next few days i'll be creating discussion threads around each of the lectures, so be on the lookout for those too..

thx
ad

Reactions: Richard Pagan
Hey everyone!

-- ad
Hi!

Do you know if there will be courses that will satisfy the opioid requirements for AZ and MN?

Also (I should probably know this) if we attend 'live' Feb 8&9 we get 'regular/live' COPE credits but if we do it 'on demand' it would be considered 'correspondence/internet' credits?

So there will be different classes at specific times and we sign up for the ones we want (there are no times/dates listed on the website at this time).

Thanks for your help!! I am obviously new to this.

Hi! Do you know if there will be courses that will satisfy the opioid requirements for AZ and MN? Also (I should probably know this) if we attend 'live' Feb 8&9 we get 'regular/live' COPE credits but if we do it 'on demand' it would be considered 'correspondence/internet' credits? So there will be different classes at specific times and we sign up for the ones we want (there are no times/dates listed on the website at this time). Thanks for your help!! I am obviously new to this.
Hi Madeline!

We do have a 2-hour narcotics course offered --

NARCOTICS: WHAT’S THE BUZZ?
Benjamin P. Casella, OD

Credit Hours: 2
COPE ID: 65837-PH

Narcotic analgesics certainly have their place in primary eye care. However, prescribing these potent and potentially addictive medications comes with great responsibility on the part of the prescriber.

This course will update the clinician on proper prescribing protocol for narcotic analgesic medications, including common indications, contraindications, and typical dosage amounts and frequencies. There will be case presentations for audience participation interspersed within.

You will want to check with your boards to determine eligibility.

In terms of the type of credits offered:

* If you attend LIVE (Feb 8 & 9 , from 11am ET - 8pm ET), you get what COPE calls "Online Interactive" credits.
* If you watch ON DEMAND (ie, the recordings), until August 1, 2020, you get "Online Enduring" credits.

Again, you'll want to check with your specific board and how each credit type maps to your laws. For instance, NY does allow them as "live" credits if you show up live, and so forth...

It is hard for us to stay current with every single state and province, so if you get a definitive answer, be sure to let us know.

Thanks!
Adam

Reactions: Madeline Lynn
So there will be different classes at specific times and we sign up for the ones we want (there are no times/dates listed on the website at this time).

On 2/8/20 and 2/9/20 all 60 hours of courses will be offered "Live and Interactive". They will be offered on 4 tracks from 11am ET /8am PT -7PM ET/4PM PT. That allows you to take up to 16 hours "Live and Interactive" and ask instructors questions in real time.

Taking all the hours offered will make taking and passing the needed quizes difficult. You may take the quiz later and still receive credit for participating "Live and Interactive". All courses and quizes will remain "On Demand" through August 1,2020. That allows participants to take the course a second time as a review to guarantee passing the quiz.

CEwire2020 is designed to make online C/E as pleasant and painless as possible while guaranteeing that participants absorb the material. Your state board makes the final decision if what is offered meets their requirements.

BTW the initial schedule is just about drawn up, I should have the times later today, i'll post a PDF copy for everyone to look at.

--ad

The initial course schedule for CEwire2020 has been released, i've attached it here for convenience.

I'll be adding it to the CEwire2020 web site today.

I'm sure there will be some changes before the event.

Thanks!
ad

Attachments

• cewire2020-schedule-r2-2020-01-21.pdf
    189.1 KB · Views: 560
For those who must take their courses "Live and Interactive" you can get 16 hours in 2 days.

Fortunately, there are no complaints if you have dinner while getting educated.;)

For those who must take their courses "Live and Interactive" you can get 16 hours in 2 days.

Fortunately, there are no complaints if you have dinner while getting educated.;)

Correct, and then the lectures will all be available on demand after the show is over through August 1st.

We're just waiting for a couple of more courses to get through COPE, other than that all systems are "go" February 8th...

Looking forward to having Gretchyn back out here in the studio again!

Good job. It is very hard fitting 60 hours into 2 days. For all try and plan your live interaction days so you can converse vis text with the speaker.

Good job. It is very hard fitting 60 hours into 2 days. For all try and plan your live interaction days so you can converse vis text with the speaker.

This interactive feature is unique to CEwire for COPE approved on line education. Even if you don't need the C/E credits, you have the opportunity to take a course and ask questions in real time. Best of all you are doing from the comfort of your home.

This interactive feature is unique to CEwire for on line education. Even if you don't need the C/E credits you have the opportunity to take a course and ask questions in real time. Best of all you doing from the comfort of your home.
A key point is dont worry about passing the quiz in the two live days. AS LONG AS YOU WATCH THE COURSE LIVE you can pass the quiz at a later date!! The software time stamps your attendance while you watch per COPE rules. So you can go from course to course live and even replay the lectures to pass the quiz. YOU MUST WATCH THE COURSE or the quiz,even if passed, WILL NOT COUNT!!

Last edited: