Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Episode 22: DAILIES TOTAL1 and the Evolution of Contact Lens Materials with Dr. Mile Brujic

Frequent ODwire.org contributor Dr. Mile Brujic sits down with us to discuss the evolution of contact lens materials -- from Paul's Era (PMMA!) through today.

We also speak in-depth about the new DAILIES TOTAL1 lens, which represents the very latest in contact lens material science and the first truly novel material in some time.

Mile's practice was one of the clinical test sites for the lens, and he shares his several months of experience working with it, and the impact its had on patients.

Loading the player ...

Feel free to ask follow-up questions of Dr. Brujic & leave comments in this thread.

If you want to listen on-the-go, subscribe to ODwire.org Radio in iTunes.

Episode 22: DAILIES TOTAL1 and the Evolution of Contact Lens Materials with Dr. Mile Brujic

Frequent ODwire.org contributor Dr. Mile Brujic sits down with us to discuss the evolution of contact lens materials -- from Paul's Era (PMMA!) through today.

We also speak in-depth about the new DAILIES TOTAL1 lens, which represents the very latest in contact lens material science and the first truly novel material in some time.

Mile's practice was one of the clinical test sites for the lens, and he shares his several months of experience working with it, and the impact its had on patients.

Loading the player ...

Feel free to ask follow-up questions of Dr. Brujic & leave comments in this thread.

If you want to listen on-the-go, subscribe to ODwire.org Radio in iTunes.

Just listened to the Podcast. When Dr. Brujic reviewed the power parameters it sounded like he said -0.50 to -2.00. I listened to it three times figuring he actually said
-10.00 but couldn't make it out. -0.50 to -10.00 right?

Also, when we begin experimenting with this lens (I can't wait!) surely it would be best not to bias the patient by telling them how wonderful the lens is and that 12/13 patients preferred it over their previous lens. We're doctors, not sales people, and we want the most honest assessment possible. -Charlie

Editor's note: -0.50 to -10.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had my first patient buy a year supply of this lens. She was a TruEye patient in the B lens. Had fitting set about a week. Seems to be good so far.

Several successes

I was fortunate to be at the USA launch of Dailies Total 1. I have had three patients return for their follow up visits and have 4 more still trying the lens.

My first patient had tried Dailies Aqua Comfort Plus lenses for 5 days after failing in almost every other lens over the years due to dryness. She came in the day after I received my fit set. All 10 lenses of the 5 pairs she had worn fell out in 2-3 hours due to dryness. She returned after 5 days of Dailies Total 1 wear with a wearing time of 16 hours.

My second patient had been a faithful, seemingly happy annual supply person with DAC+ for the three years she'd been my patient. She came in saying she wanted to just go with a 3 month supply as she was pretty sure she wanted Lasik. She tried Dailies Total 1 and is now postponing her Lasik decision as she is more comfortable than she has ever been in contact lenses.

My third patient wore rigid lenses (PMMA then GP) for 40 years before abandoning her monovision GP lenses due to dryness 5 years ago. She came in recently wanting a daily disposable lens to get her through a few weddings this summer, one as mother of the groom. She like the lenses so well she ordered 2 90 packs instead of 2 30 packs as she had originally wanted and plans to wear the lenses a lot.

At this time I am planning to let all my current DAC+ lens wearers try the new lenses to decide for themselves if the comfort is improved enough to warrant the additional expense of the lenses. I've never had a big issue with patient acceptance of daily disposable lenses due to cost and have a good percentage of my patients wearing daily disposables. I want to leave the decision to them once they have had a chance to experience the lens personally. Having the Dailies Total 1 as an option has reminded me to ask questions beyond the "How are your contact lenses doing?" if the patient answers with the usual "Fine". I want to give them the opportunity to love the way their contact lenses feel.

Mona, thanks for the report. To be consistent, I have to ask: are you in any way compensated/reimbursed by Ciba? Thanks. -Charlie

Charles McBride, O.D.
Beaverton, OR

I was fortunate to be at the USA launch of Dailies Total 1. I have had three patients return for their follow up visits and have 4 more still trying the lens.

My first patient had tried Dailies Aqua Comfort Plus lenses for 5 days after failing in almost every other lens over the years due to dryness. She came in the day after I received my fit set. All 10 lenses of the 5 pairs she had worn fell out in 2-3 hours due to dryness. She returned after 5 days of Dailies Total 1 wear with a wearing time of 16 hours.

My second patient had been a faithful, seemingly happy annual supply person with DAC+ for the three years she'd been my patient. She came in saying she wanted to just go with a 3 month supply as she was pretty sure she wanted Lasik. She tried Dailies Total 1 and is now postponing her Lasik decision as she is more comfortable than she has ever been in contact lenses.

My third patient wore rigid lenses (PMMA then GP) for 40 years before abandoning her monovision GP lenses due to dryness 5 years ago. She came in recently wanting a daily disposable lens to get her through a few weddings this summer, one as mother of the groom. She like the lenses so well she ordered 2 90 packs instead of 2 30 packs as she had originally wanted and plans to wear the lenses a lot.

At this time I am planning to let all my current DAC+ lens wearers try the new lenses to decide for themselves if the comfort is improved enough to warrant the additional expense of the lenses. I've never had a big issue with patient acceptance of daily disposable lenses due to cost and have a good percentage of my patients wearing daily disposables. I want to leave the decision to them once they have had a chance to experience the lens personally. Having the Dailies Total 1 as an option has reminded me to ask questions beyond the "How are your contact lenses doing?" if the patient answers with the usual "Fine". I want to give them the opportunity to love the way their contact lenses feel.

Not on the Ciba/Alcon payroll

I am simply a practitioner who uses a lot of Alcon products. I jumped on the Focus Dailies bandwagon a number of years ago and the number of Dailies Aqua Comfort Plus lenses I purchase as a solo practitioner is high. That loyalty to the company resulted in the invitation to the USA launch in Dallas last month. The 600 or so practitioners invited to the launch got our fit sets the week after the educational program. I was impressed with what the scientists and optometrists had told us about the new lens and it has lived up to the hype in my short experience. I've never been shy about singing the praises of products that I use successfully or about letting others know what hasn't worked for my patients. That's why I like forums like this one and ODs on Facebook where I have multiple posts about my experiences with the Dailies Total 1 lenses.

Mona Dewart said:
I am simply a practitioner who uses a lot of Alcon products. I jumped on the Focus Dailies bandwagon a number of years ago and the number of Dailies Aqua Comfort Plus lenses I purchase as a solo practitioner is high. That loyalty to the company resulted in the invitation to the USA launch in Dallas last month. The 600 or so practitioners invited to the launch got our fit sets the week after the educational program. I was impressed with what the scientists and optometrists had told us about the new lens and it has lived up to the hype in my short experience. I've never been shy about singing the praises of products that I use successfully or about letting others know what hasn't worked for my patients. That's why I like forums like this one and ODs on Facebook where I have multiple posts about my experiences with the Dailies Total 1 lenses.

Much appreciated. It means more that way.
-Charlie

Tried them on myself:
I'm a happy 1 Day AV Moist wearer. high myope. My observations:
  • Had 2 lenses with definite defects. Optics are messed up if lens doesn't look perfect on your finger.
  • They weren't kidding that its a slippery lens to handle.
  • Initial comfort is better than anything I've ever worn
  • Great comfort/VA for 12-14 hours
  • Late in the day, the lens gets unfortable. I could really feel a sharp edge every evening
  • Would be tough to stretch this lens out to multiple days of wear-taking it out once seems to mess up the optics.
  • Love the level pricing mandate. Apple/Oakley does it, why can't B&L, Vistakon, Cooper, etc?
  • Curious to see what happens when Lens.com starts to offer it for a buck over cost?

underwhelming

My experience with the lens has thus far left me unimpressed.

I've worn Air Optix for years, and do well with them. I nearly blinked out the Total 1 after about 9 hours of wear, presumably from dryness. That is something that has been only a very rare experience for me in my 30 years of contact lens wear.

Others who have tried the lenses on our practice have been similarly unimpressed. While some have very much disliked the comfort/dryness, most find that the lenses are "fine". Hardly a ringing endorsement.

When my wife wore them, she thought they were as good as her previous, much less expensive daily disposables. Then she asked me how much they were, followed by how much is LASIK. Her logical consumer mindset asked why she wouldn't just choose LASIK?

Good question. It wouldn't take many years to be ahead cost-wise, with good distance clarity for all waking hours. Of course it isn't always as simple as that, but on the other hand, in the consumer's mind, sometimes it is as simple as that.

At the end of the day, I suspect this will be a good trouble shooting, part time wear, niche lens. The lens is good... not perfect.

The price structure is great, but the price itself will be a considerable hurdle.