#35: Growing Your Practice with Advanced Clinical Technologies - Dr. Jennifer Redfern

AdminWolf

Site Administrator & Tech Lead
Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Episode 35: Growing Your Practice with Advanced Clinical Technologies - Dr. Jennifer Redfern
Loading the player ...

(24 minutes)

Young clinicians frequently ask how they can differentiate themselves in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

In this ODwire.org Radio Show, Dr. Jennifer Redfern sits down with us to discuss the impact of using the latest clinical technologies in her practice.

We focus on the Duette lens by SynergEyes, and how she’s using this advanced technology lens to differentiate herself & grow her contact lens practice.

If you have any questions for Jennifer, feel free to leave a message in this thread (or contact her via an ODwire.org Private Message.)

Our thanks to SynergEyes for sponsoring this show

Again, feel free to leave questions for Dr. Redfern in this thread -- she's an ODwire.org member and i'm sure happy to share her experience.

ad

Does she charge any more for the fitting if she's fitting a Duette for an irregular cornea? Does she take vision plans? Is she billing the fitting as medically necessary?

Since these are hybrid lenses, do we have to release the Rx to patients? I thought that the FCLA only required releasing the CL Rx for soft contacts.

Does she charge any more for the fitting if she's fitting a Duette for an irregular cornea? Does she take vision plans? Is she billing the fitting as medically necessary?

Hi Richard!

Great question. In general, yes, I charge a great deal more for an irregular cornea contact lens fit....BUT...I never ever use a Duette lens for an irregular cornea. Duette lenses in all of its platforms (Duette HD, Duette MF, and Duette Progressive) are not indicated for irregular corneas. I think this is one of the biggest misunderstandings that exist about the Duette lenses. Now that the lenses are fit on flat K with the flattest skirt possible, these lenses only work with regular corneas. For irregular corneas I tend to reach for UltraHealth (Duette's sister lens designed for irregular corneas), a specialty RGP, or a scleral lens. I have tried to fit Duettes on post-surgical corneas and they were not successful. However, on regular corneas, these have been my favorite lenses to work with.

I do take vision plans. The only reason I have billed Duette lenses as a medical necessity is for patients with very high refractive error. I believe VSP will pay for lenses out of medically necessity if they are above a -6.00 (or so).

I'm not sure if we have to release the Rx from an FCLA standpoint. However, even if you wrote out their prescription for Duette lenses, they wouldn't be able to get them online anyway. I really like that about these lenses!