Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
LEBANON — The Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority (VCEDA) recently approved a $5.6 million loan for the development of a college of optometry in Buchanan County.

More...

Did you read the article? They are trying to create jobs by cranking out colleges with graduate degrees.

Back to the article about degree inflation!

If the AOA does not take action about this I am out.

There's no way on God's green earth that this school is going to be stopped. It's not a "for profit"/proprietary venture like some of the D.O. school tie-ins.

This is about economic/educational development (insert waving flag .... band plays "God Bless America" .... pictures of grandma/grandpa/veterans/babies .... everyone eating hot dogs .... fade out). No way this one's being stopped.

But you're right. The AOA needs to talk about this in a direct manner.

Time to Teach!

Since this is 100 miles from me, maybe I'll teach there and get me a good retirement!

Here's the news article:
http://bdtonline.com/editorials/x480664028/Higher-education-New-college-will-create-66-jobs

http://timesnews.net/article.php?id=9028546:

LEBANON — The Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority (VCEDA) recently approved a $5.6 million loan for the development of a college of optometry in Buchanan County.
In its final meeting of 2010, the VCEDA board approved a request from the Buchanan County Industrial Development Authority for the loan to be used for the development of the tentatively named Appalachian College of Optometry to be located in the Buchanan Information Park in Grundy.
“Buchanan County has developed a very unique economic development strategy that is centered in part around the development of private graduate schools in the county as a means of creating direct and indirect jobs and other economic impacts,” said VCEDA Executive Director Jonathan Belcher.
The Appalachian School of Law and the Appalachian College of Pharmacy are both located in Buchanan County, and county leaders are now developing a college of optometry, he said.

Last edited:
Since this is 100 miles from me, maybe I'll teach there and get me a good retirement!

Here's the news article:
http://bdtonline.com/editorials/x480664028/Higher-education-New-college-will-create-66-jobs

http://timesnews.net/article.php?id=9028546:

In its final meeting of 2010, the VCEDA board approved a request from the Buchanan County Industrial Development Authority for the loan to be used for the development of the tentatively named Appalachian College of Optometry to be located in the Buchanan Information Park in Grundy.
“Buchanan County has developed a very unique economic development strategy that is centered in part around the development of private graduate schools in the county as a means of creating direct and indirect jobs and other economic impacts,” said VCEDA Executive Director Jonathan Belcher.
The Appalachian School of Law and the Appalachian College of Pharmacy are both located in Buchanan County, and county leaders are now developing a college of optometry, he said.

This is really #$%&#@ unbelievable. The "monkey see ... monkey do" EconDev crowd will shortly be on board. With this strategy I bet we see 10 new optometry schools in the next 10 years. Like Pogo said, "Jobs is jobs.".

They have no damn idea if these graduates will have quality (or any) positions when they graduate. They important thing is that they buy chips, pop, and gas on their way to class.

Oh wow. RAMUSA has many optometry service trips to that county in Virginia. I've been there two times. The area is beautiful but really remote. No cell phone service. Only cell provider was Altel. Very unlikely they will get a lot of applicants to go to school there...
Looks like they dont need our volunteer services now...

Last edited:
so now Sears will have someone to fill their tiny offices.

I can see the Lux chairmen shouting from the rooftops, "No corporate office will go unfilled. Sundays for everyone!"

so now Sears will have someone to fill their tiny offices.

I can see the Lux chairmen shouting from the rooftops, "No corporate office will go unfilled. Sundays for everyone!"

Worse yet, they may reopen some of those Sears offices they closed in the last few years.:eek:

Like most everything happening in this country right now, this is mostly about debt creation, i.e., prolonging the Ponzi scheme, coming up with new debtors to pay the old ones off, until the music finally stops...and the REAL crash gets underway.

Save time and just put this school right in a damn Wal-Mart !!!

From the movie "Idiocracy" Watch it sometime its hilarious and great social commentary

Frito: Yah I know this place pretty good, I went to law school here.
Pvt. Joe Bowers: In Costco?
Frito: Yah I couldn't believe it myself, luckily my dad was an alumnus and pulled some strings.

We are quickly heading down this dystopian road.