1. Welcome to ODwire.org, the largest and longest-running social network for eye care professionals, with over 20,000 ECP members!

We offer private peer-to-peer discussions, articles, webinars, podcasts & more!

Our site is free to all Optometrists, OD Students, Opticians, and Ophthalmologists, and practice administrators. Join us!

2. *** CEwire2020 will be online LIVE on May 30 & 31 AND June 27 & 28
    63 LIVE COPE-Approved Credits! [REGISTER HERE] [COURSE SCHEDULE]
    Dismiss Notice

A New ODwire.org feature Mac Users who are technophobes...

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Paul Farkas, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Housekeeping tip on your Apple from MacMentor...

Insider News from The MacMentor

Is your Mac slow because you are hoarding files, and don't realize it?

Hoarding possessions makes your home a less livable space. It’s difficult to find what you’re looking for and to navigate rooms, which ultimately slows you down.

Hoarding files on your Mac is similar. Storing unnecessary emails, photos, movies, apps and other files takes up valuable space and disrupts your Mac’s processing speed. There’s nothing more frustrating than Safari taking forever to open a new window or experiencing a lag when launching an app.

Marie Kondo’s KonMari Method--the state of mind that sparks joy in one’s life by appreciating belongings before letting them go--is all the rage because it teaches people to optimize their spaces for better functionality.
    Similarly, your Mac is a valuable space that performs more effectively when you tidy it up.

Contact me today to learn how to make your Mac work better and faster!

Call me at 847.902.6681.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Introducing a wireless charger...

I've been waiting for an excellent, eco-friendly wireless charger, that charges multiple devices to hit the market, the wait is finally over!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm excited to tell you about about a new company called GoNimble that has wireless charging pads as well as portable wireless chargers. I recently ordered the wireless charging pad that supports 2 products.

There are a couple of reasons for loving these products and this company. First, the products are Eco-Friendly! Made of fully recyclable aluminum, plant based plastics and NO chemical adhesives. The fabric of the GoNimber devices is made from Hemp, and recycled plastic bottles. Another reason to love this company, they include a bag, with pre-paid shipping, with each purchase for you to recycle old electronics.

I'm excited to introduce you all to these great new products, you can get a discount by using the following link: http://nimble.refr.cc/geoffh.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. I've been using the dual charger for a few weeks now and it works great!

After your purchase, let me know your thoughts!
    Happy Wireless, Eco-Friendly charging!

3. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Update from Mac Mentor...

It's safe to upgrade to iOS 13.1!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Less than a week after releasing iOS 13, today Apple released iOS 13.1 for your iPhone and iPad. It is safe to upgrade, you may run into some minor glitches with third party keyboards, but if you don't use them, no worries. If you don't want to wait for you device to update automatically, go to the Settings app > General > Software Update to do the update manually.

Have a great evening, and as always, if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out.

email me with questions or concerns by click this button.
    [​IMG]

4. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Heads up from MacMentor...

Apple released macOS Catalina (10.15) today. For many reasons I urge you to hold off on updating at this time. The key reason, you very likely are still running 32-Bit applications, those applications will NOT run in macOS 10.15. Please schedule a session prior to upgrading to avoid any major issues with your Mac.

You can quickly email me below, to set up a session to check your Mac for 32-Bit applications.

5. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Insider News from The MacMentor

AT&T has quietly updated their data plans, and they will change yours without asking you!

I came home today to an interesting email from my carrier, AT&T. It stated that my previous data plan of 15GB/month was being upgraded to 30GB/month for only $10 extra. Curious, I click the link (I made sure it was from AT&T before clicking). When the AT&T page opened, I was SHOCKED to find out that my bill was going from $198/mo to $276/mo!

I immediately called AT&T to see if this was in fact correct, and 38 minutes later, the kind AT&T service person profusely apologized, but said "yes, this is correct, we have gotten rid of the plan you were previously on and moved you to the higher GB/mo plan".

I immediately put myself on the 9GB/mo plan, which ended up reducing my bill.

Please check your bill, AT&T should not be making this decision for you! You have a voice and a choice. Don't let AT&T charge you more than you need to be paying.

I can't speak to the other carriers, but if AT&T is doing this, I'd be shocked if the others weren't as well, they usually follow each other.

If you need help navigating your carrier bill, contact me I will happily go over it with you and make sure you're not paying more than you need to.

I look forward to seeing you soon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click the button below to shoot me an email, or call me at 847.902.6681.

[​IMG]

6. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Of interest if you use Apple products...

We've got a brand new website! Same web address, www.themacmentor.com, brand new look and feel!

I'm super excited to let you know our new website, www.themacmentor.com is live!

Please click the link above, as I welcome your feedback, and I would also welcome your testimonial. If you'd like, you could send them to me directly, or you could go to Google, search for The MacMentor and provide the review right there! They make it very easy.

If you're ready for your first session of 2020, please give us a call at 847.902.6681, or email us at geoff@themacmentor.com.

Thanks in advance for checking it out, I look forward to seeing you soon.

[​IMG]

7. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    MacMentor addresses COVID-19...

Did you realize using Apple Pay could actually help you from catching COVID-19?

[​IMG]

Apple Pay is not only a safe secure method to conduct transactions, as it anonymizes you to the terminal and processing bank, it could be the healthiest way to pay for things as well!

Using Apple Pay now while at retail establishments can now protect you from having to touch those terminals, which could save you from not only COVID-19, but other viruses as well, even the common cold!

As I'm sure you've heard or read, COVID-19 can live for days on surfaces, including retail payment terminals. By using Apple Pay, you can not only help protect yourself, but your loved ones and those around you as well.

We would be happy to assist you with setup, either in person or via the phone.

Call today, 847.902.6681, or email us by simply clicking the blue button below(Email The MacMentor)

If you have any questions, click the button below shoot me an email.
    Email The MacMentor[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    MacMentor assists helping fill your forced stay at home hours usefully.

Let's get your Photo Library in shape!

You know you have to do it, you dread going through it. Now is a FANTASTIC time to get your Photo library in shape!

Here are your steps!

First go through your library and delete photos that you don't need, or are duplicates.

Next, create albums for your photos so they are easy to find.

Then, create books, or print your photos from one of these great apps, Motif or Mimeo Photos (both available in the App Store on your Mac). You can also use online sources like Shutterfly.

As always, we are here to help. We can set up a Screen share session.

As a Bonus for the week of March 30th, screen share will be $100/hr. Act quickly as the slots will fill fast!

Call today, 847.902.6681, or email us by simply clicking the blue button below(Email The MacMentor)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Email The MacMentor

9. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    More advice from the MacMentor...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you close the websites you visit on your iPhone and iPad? You should!

Browsing the internet on your iPhone and iPad is super easy and safe using Apple's Safari web browser. However, many of us forget or don't realize that it's important to close out of the websites that we visit. There are 2 main reasons to do this. First, if you regularly use Safari, and visit many websites a day, but don't close those webpages, you are slowing your iPhone/iPad down, and more importantly wasting it's resources. Second, by leaving websites/pages open, you are leaving your iPhone/iPad vulnerable to outside attacks from hackers.

Here's your quick and easy fix. It's the same on both the iPhone and iPad: Go to the Settings App > Click Safari > Scroll down to the Close Tabs setting > choose After One Day. This will close all your websites for you auto-magically...:).

Next, (Still within the Safari setting), scroll down to Clear History and Website Data. Simply tap that setting, you'll get a pop up window that says in bold, Clear History and Data, Click the Clear option (will be in Red). Once you've done that the words, Clear History and Website Data will be greyed out (because there is nothing to clear).

This is a simple task that will help your devices run better and help you stay safer as well!

Any questions, don't hesitate to reach out, you can call today, 847.902.6681, or email us by simply clicking the blue button below(Email The MacMentor)

I hope you and your family are staying safe through this difficult time.

All the best,
    Geoff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Email The MacMentor

10. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    The MacMentor assists in housekeeping...

Our next project is...Removing apps from your devices that you don't use!

The topic of today's email is one you've no doubt heard me talk about before, deleting apps off your device that you no longer use.

Ok, raise your hand if a friend, family member or colleague has ever told you about this great app that you have to download. Whether that app is a game, some utility, or the latest fad app that you use for a day, a week, or perhaps a month but get bored with and then it sits in App Purgatory?! Well now is the time to clean those apps up! Remember the less clutter you have on your iPhone, iPad, Mac and even Apple Watch, the better and more efficient those devices will be.

Let's start with your iPhone and iPad. Go to the Settings app, click General, then click iPhone/iPad storage. This presents you with all the apps on your device. It tells you the size of the app, and the date it was last used. Tap on an app, and you can delete it right there! Simple and easy.

Now let's go to the Mac. This is a bit trickier as there are apps that come with the Mac that you either can't delete or shouldn't. If you are not sure if you can or should delete an app, reach out to me and I'll let you know. For the apps you know you've downloaded and no longer use, highlight and then either drag to your trash can (on your dock), or click the Delete icon on the Finder toolbar.

This is a quick and easy way to clean up and free up valuable storage on your devices.

I hope you find this tip useful and that you put it to use. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out, you can call today, 847.902.6681, or email us by simply clicking the blue button below(Email The MacMentor)

I hope you and your family are staying safe through this difficult time.

All the best,
    Geoff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Email The MacMentor
    [​IMG]

11. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Heads up from MacMentor...

Wunderlist is discontinuing service on May 6th, 2020

I'm very sad to announce that one of the staples of my App recommendations since 2013 has been sold and is discontinuing service.

Wunderlist has been purchased by Microsoft and their wonderful stand alone app will be making the move to the App Hall of Fame. If you are one of the millions of users of this terrific free app, you'll need to adjust quickly.

I will be on the prowl for the next great "Wunderlist" and will be sharing my thoughts prior to May 6th.

I don't like having to share this news, and do apologize for the short notice, but I just found out myself this morning.

I will be in touch soon with a substitute, and perhaps even better option, so don't fret!.

I hope you and your family are staying safe .

All the best,

Geoff

If you have any questions, click the button below shoot me an email...
    Email The MacMentor[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Paul Farkas

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    From Mac Mentor ...Limited participation

Happy Monday!

I'm planning a Zoom workshop this Friday, May 22nd to help you secure your iPhone/iPad.
    [​IMG]

Aren't my devices already secure? What will your workshop cover that I don't already know?

There are a large number of settings that you should be adjusting to ensure your iPhone/iPad are as safe as possible, I wanted to share them with you
    [​IMG]
    Awesome! Thanks MacMentor, I appreciate you always looking out for me and my devices.

Your device safety is my priority! Happy to help. To sign up, please email us at geoff@themacmentor.com or text us at 847.902.6681.
    [​IMG]
    How will we get the Zoom meeting info, and is there a fee?

I will send you the Zoom meeting information by end of day Thursday the 21st. There is a small $25 fee, payable via Zelle or Venmo. I look forward to seeing you this Friday!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]