1. Welcome to ODwire.org, the largest and longest-running social network for eye care professionals, with over 20,000 ECP members!

We offer private peer-to-peer discussions, articles, webinars, podcasts & more!

Our site is free to all Optometrists, OD Students, Opticians, and Ophthalmologists, and practice administrators. Join us!

An Optometrist's Third World Initiative

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Paul Farkas, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Steven Nelson

Steven Nelson ODwire.org Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    TX
    You mean the practice that you and his dad built? Are you laying that at his golden feet also before kissing them? A "force for good"? Seriously?

I have no desire to meet him because your irrational and melodramatic defense of his business which flies in the face of what we spend tremendous energy conveying to the public and legislators (you know? that care by OD's is paramount to public health?) has left a terribly bad taste in my mouth.

2. Richard Pagan

Richard Pagan ODwire.org Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2006
    School/Org:
    New England College of Optometry
    City:
    Pine Bush
    State:
    NY
    dude, stop comparing the moped waitress to "optometry", it's NOT optometry, if anything its refracting opticianry. Its a minimal refractive effort and a sales pitch for low cost glasses, nothing more. If its happening in a third world country then so what? they aren't getting care ANYWAY, no matter what. Might as well have some glasses, if they can help. The fact that it happens in Canada should be far more disturbing.

3. Steven Nelson

Oct 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    TX
    The point is that by creating this sham it decreases the need for a real optometric care system to develop. The people think they're getting an exam and they can see through the new glasses, so all is right with the world...:rolleyes: Jordan KNOWS that's the end product and justifies it by saying "at least they can see" which they CAN (and that's a good thing) until they go blind for no good reason.

4. Richard Pagan

Richard Pagan ODwire.org Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2006
    School/Org:
    New England College of Optometry
    City:
    Pine Bush
    State:
    NY
    I'm not disagreeing with you but the third world is NEVER going to get proper care. With or without Jordan.

5. Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Memphis
    State:
    TN
    Though obviously I disagree, I appreciate you weighing in on the matter.

6. Matt Pearce

Matt Pearce Member

Jan 21, 2003
    School/Org:
    PUCO
    City:
    West Linn
    State:
    OR
    While I agree with the sentiment, I disagree that an "optometric care system" needs to develop.

Optometry is not the solution to visual impairment in the developing world. It is far too difficult a task to create an entirely new profession with the requisite schools, supervisory boards, etc. It is much easier to take existing professions and add on eye care specialization within those professions.

7. Steven Nelson

Oct 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    TX
    You make a very good point and I don't think it needs to necessarily revolve around optometrists. I guess I should more correctly refer to it as an "eye care" system...one that involves TRAINED HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS, NOT SEAMSTRESSES PLAYING THE PART OF DOCTORS.

I think in these countries it's "take what you can get", so if it's regular physicians or even their equivalent of PAs or NPs as long as they have a healthcare background and reasonably extensive eye specific training it should be adequate even if they're merely acting as refractionists doing medical triage because they would have established examination protocols and the appropriate inroads for referrals. I don't think it needs to be Bascom-Palmer at all to be adequate and provide hugely for the public welfare, but those folks at least deserve trained medical professionals and not some a-hole on a bicycle with glasses in a bag.

Now he's opening stores in cities in El Salvador, so we can let this idea of altruism go. It's a business...a business that is targeted specifically in areas that don't have health care infrastructure. I don't begrudge him coming up with a business model, but it seems he's taking advantage of the system a bit and it makes me want to puke when all of the "good PR for optometry" diatribe starts. He's opening stores because the initial endeavor didn't make any money.

I have no doubt that he's trying to do a good thing. I'm just saying that just because you believe it doesn't mean you actually ARE doing a good thing. Sometimes you do as much damage as good.

8. Matt Pearce

Matt Pearce Member

Jan 21, 2003
    School/Org:
    PUCO
    City:
    West Linn
    State:
    OR
    It sounds like you and I are in complete agreement. Kudos to you for being so smart. ;)

9. Steven Nelson

Oct 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    TX
    Thank you, sir. :)

10. Kevin J. Count

Kevin J. Count Paraprofessional

Oct 19, 2010
    School/Org:
    Depaul University
    City:
    Chicago
    State:
    IL
    Steve, isn't that an educated refracting optician?

11. Steven Nelson

Oct 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    TX
    Educated in what?

I'm talking about people with backgrounds in medical care learning refraction as part of an approach to delivering medical eye care, not being skilled in the selection and fabrication of ophthalmic lenses/spectacles which is where your education lies. Not beating up your education, just saying that it has nothing to do with medical care. It's OK, neither does my attorney or accountant but it makes them no less important.