Boots optometrist who missed fatal condition in boy, 8, apologises to family as she is struck off - Daily Mail

missed swollen optic discs......

Does Boots dilate?
Probably not regularly. UK chains like Boots and Specsavers sounds like optometric hell, basically America's Best but the optometrists are also expected to answer the phones.

I believe the facts of this case were that there were retina photos that for whatever reason were not reviewed that demonstrated the child had optic nerve edema at the time of the examination.

Reactions: Kristin Bartlett
Those parents were after blood. I don't think there have ever been criminal charges from medical negligence for an optometrist. (Correct me if I am wrong.) I would be hacked off too. I wonder if they left that eye exam feeling fully confident in it and had no gut instinct to seek a second opinion. No one has the vested interest in your child that you have. That optometrist received an optometric death sentence at least and can never practice again, not a small consequence.

I hope this will be the catalyst to improve optometry over there and they will teach there than no matter where you work, do the right thing. Kind of the way that they optometrist that diagnosed amplyopia without an amblyogenic factor and missed pathology in the 90s in Florida made a great teaching case that was hammered into us.

Reactions: Matt Judd
Probably not regularly. UK chains like Boots and Specsavers sounds like optometric hell, basically America's Best but the optometrists are also expected to answer the phones.

I believe the facts of this case were that there were retina photos that for whatever reason were not reviewed that demonstrated the child had optic nerve edema at the time of the examination.
I have been a consultant on cases like that in the US. The OD takes a nice picture of the pathology for and extra fee then misses it.

Cases missed, papilledema not noted with Optos?
Yes, and detachments missed on optos. Metastatic breast cancer missed on Optos. Plaquenil toxicity missed and present on photos. That sort of stuff.

I’ve missed a small retinal tear on a patient twice (same patient). Another doctor missed it also. Saw it on the fourth exam. Look back on Optos showed it clearly. :eek:

Having said that, in this case this optometrist did NOT look at the patient’s photos.

Ms Rose had been looking at examination photos belonging to another patient instead of Vinnie's, and later 'dishonestly' gave an inaccurate recording of the examination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Judd
Who missed the findings on the Optos? Helen Keller?
Staff take the photo and the optom never bothers to look. Easy to miss that way. I am sure this happens all the time in those kind of operations. Schlocktometry just bit everyone in the a$$ here.

This is happening in many offices in THIS country. OD isnt at least grabbing a 90D etc for whatever reason.

Staff take the photo and the optom never bothers to look. Easy to miss that way. I am sure this happens all the time in those kind of operations. Schlocktometry just bit everyone in the a$$ here.
Kristin, even if they did look as we know this is not the standard of care. This is just plain old crappy care and makes optometry look bad once again. Not saying MDs do not make mistakes but we are held to much higher standard.

Kristin, even if they did look as we know this is not the standard of care. This is just plain old crappy care and makes optometry look bad once again. Not saying MDs do not make mistakes but we are held to much higher standard.
Absolutely. There is no substitute for the viewing of the internals in real life and looking at photos is no substitute, even though in this case, if she had taken a look at them, she should have caught that something was wrong.

Reactions: Mark Welding OD