Chinese executives sign San Antonio deals - San Antonio Express-News (subscription)

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
It says they are forming a 50-50 partnership to open eye clinics in the Rio Grande Valley and presumably will be bringing ophthalmologists in from China, while optometrists go to China for internships?

I would think that the TOA and TMA will have something to say about this?

It says they are forming a 50-50 partnership to open eye clinics in the Rio Grande Valley and presumably will be bringing ophthalmologists in from China, while optometrists go to China for internships?

I would think that the TOA and TMA will have something to say about this?
did you bring it to their attention?

did you bring it to their attention?

Nope. My reading was rather cursory, and I don't get involved in things that don't involve me. I believe @Tommy Lucas is the man and he's here on ODWire. Why do Chinese ophthalmologists need training in San Antonio?

Perhaps the biggest deal signed Friday involves the University of the Incarnate Word.

UIW President Lou Agnese Jr. signed an agreement with Li Bin, a shareholder in a chain of 80 Chinese eye-care hospitals.

Li, who also is president of Guangdong Material Fuel Co. Ltd. in the Guangdong province near Hong Kong, will buy UIW’s $6 million investment in one of its four San Antonio eye care clinics operated by the university’s Rosenberg School of Optometry, Agnese said.

Li’s Aier Eye Group/Aier School of Ophthalmology, with 7,000 doctors, and UIW each will invest $4 million in a new eye care clinic in the Rio Grande Valley.

“That’s $14 million. If that all works out, UIW will send its fourth-year optometry students to China for internships. We also will become 50-50 partners for new eye clinics in Texas. This is a wonderful opportunity,” Agnese said before signing the paperwork at a Mexico Group monthly breakfast held at Pico de Gallo restaurant by the Free Trade Alliance San Antonio, which is the host for the Chinese delegation.

Agnese and Timothy Wingert, dean and professor at the Rosenberg School of Optometry, will visit Aier Eye Group in October. The Chinese eye care hospital group will pay a reciprocal visit to San Antonio in December to finalize investment plans, Agnese said.

“It’s a huge step for U.S. and Chinese (eye care) cooperation,” Li said through an interpreter.

Last edited:
Nope. My reading was rather cursory, and I don't get involved in things that don't involve me. I believe Tommy Lucas is the man and he's here on ODWire. Why do Chinese ophthalmologists need training in San Antonio?

Remember to get someone's attention use the 'at notation', like @Tommy Lucas . This will send them an 'alert'.

ad