Claremore optometrist to pay $150000 in Medicaid, Medicare fraud case - Tulsa World

"In one instance, the federal government claimed, Duke billed Medicare for 68 hours of work on one day.

In all, the lawsuit claimed Duke billed Medicare in excess of 12 hours per day on 387 occasions, with 124 in excess of 24 hours per day."

I don't understand this part, how do you bill by the hour?

http://emuniversity.com/CodingBasedonTime.html

https://www.myoptumhealthphysicalhe...ursement Policies/E_M QuickReferenceTable.pdf

These are the only thing I could find, that they may have used for a guideline. It seems to me in this, and several cases, they are using the approximate face-to-face time with a patient, to nail people for over coding.

I know it is possible to bill an evaluation and management code based on time, but I don't know why you would possibly do this.

If you saw 24 level five new patients in one day, Medicare would've considered this 24 hours worth of billing perhaps.

It would be also interesting to know if technician time counts as face-to-face time or not.

If anyone else has any theories down the come up with these numbers against this doctor, please post.

Fred

This is from the CPT. It states, "Physicians typically spend XX minutes face to face with the patient and/or family:
99201 10 min
99202 20 min
99203 30 min
99204 45 min
99205 60 min
99211 5 min
99212 10 min
99213 15 min
99214 25 min
99215 40 min

As always, when committing fraud, be subtle about it.

It reminds me of when I got a speeding ticket and the highway patrolman said:

"If you are in the left lane passing everyone, you are the one that's going to get the ticket."

If CMS just audited every optometrist who was over $200,000K in Medicare billings how much money would they get back?

Probably a lot because the metric isn't whether you did the work commensurate with the payment you received, it's whether you've DOCUMENTED everything to their liking.

I've done $150K in Medicare before, 5 days a week no nights no weekends. Just busy with one doc on maternity leave.

So that's why I picked that number. If you worked in a traditional general OMD practice 5.5 days a week you could clear closer to $200K but hard to go over it.

I just picked an arbitrary number. The other way to do it is just audit the top 5% in payments, and/or the top 5% in payments per patient. You could pick whatever number you want.

And thanks to this website it's not hard:

http://projects.wsj.com/medicarebilling/#/1861578643

The guy in the original article bills easily triple the national average per patient. Are his patients really that sick? Because I have a decent amount of disease and I'm nowhere near that.

Probably a lot because the metric isn't whether you did the work commensurate with the payment you received, it's whether you've DOCUMENTED everything to their liking.
On page 3 of the CMS "Evaluation and Management Services Guide" in the first section labeled "Medical Record Documentation", which is the first substantive page of the Guide, they quote the adage, "if it isn't documented, it hasn't been done."

They go on to state on that page:

Clear and concise medical record documentation is critical to providing patients with
quality care and is required in order for providers to receive accurate and timely
payment for furnished services. Medical records chronologically report the care a
patient received and are used to record pertinent facts, findings, and observations about
the patient’s health history. Medical record documentation assists physicians and other
health care professionals in evaluating and planning the patient’s immediate treatment
and monitoring the patient’s health care over time.

Health care payers may require reasonable documentation to ensure that a service is
consistent with the patient’s insurance coverage and to validate:

❖ The site of service;
❖ The medical necessity and appropriateness of the diagnostic and/or therapeutic
services provided; and/or
❖ That services furnished have been accurately reported.

Immersed in EHR now, I find myself fantasizing about being able to document only what I need to get me to where I'm going and having audio, video (and thought?) documentation to back me up in case the authorities come calling.

Now that I can access my EHR from anywhere, I find myself spending time in the evening polishing up the records. Not good. Good, but not good. -Charlie