Co-Management Tips with Drs. Azman & Greiner!

AdminWolf

Site Administrator & Tech Lead
Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR

In this ODwire TV segment, Best Practices 2019 Winners Drs. Ben Azman and Katie Greiner sit down with us to discuss co-management.

We hit on:

* The benefits of co-management to both the patient and the optometrist
* How to establish (and nurture) co-management relationships with ODs, OMDs, and other health care professionals
* How to use co-management to build your practice

Leave your feedback for Drs. Azman & Greiner in this thread!

Reactions: Frederick Frost
Thanks again to Drs. Azman & Greiner for sitting down with us and sharing their tips on co-management.

One thing that I found striking about the talk was the issue of OD-to-OD referrals. Something, sadly, many people are still uncomfortable with, but when used properly can benefit everyone.

-- ad

Thanks again to Drs. Azman & Greiner for sitting down with us and sharing their tips on co-management.

One thing that I found striking about the talk was the issue of OD-to-OD referrals. Something, sadly, many people are still uncomfortable with, but when used properly can benefit everyone.

-- ad

Do you refer to a fellow OD? What sort of specialties in optometry where you refer?

if you do not refer to ODs... why not?

Many ODs are comfortable referring to OMDs who are fellowship trained in a specific specialty such as retinology or ocular plastic surgery. They are assured that patients will return for optometric primary care and eyewear.

Would you refer more to ODs who limit their practice to complex contact lens care or vision therapy?

I have used the Azmans for co management over the years. They were doing dry eye stuff long before it was "commonplace". They would do plugs etc and then send the patient back for follow up.

Tom Azman is my low vision guy. He will come to my practice so the patient does not need to travel. He does the laborious low vision testing and supplies aides as needed and I do the follow ups and make sure the patient is happy.

Tom was doing work on enhancing perception on color deficient patients for years before the Enchrome lens came out.

They were offering comangament on Scleral lens and other complex lenses for years. I see the patient back for follow up.