Pat Kiella

Jul 17, 2016
School/Org
Ferris
City
Charleston
State
Sc
Is college football changed for the worse with the new NIL payments, transfer portals etc? Seems like it takes the playing for the state team out of the equation and makes it kinda like a junior NFL.

Absolutely it is. It has transferred my 'power' to the big schools.

The transfer portal has made it too aware the better players at the smaller schools can just skip out at any time

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Donald bader
Is college football changed for the worse with the new NIL payments, transfer portals etc? Seems like it takes the playing for the state team out of the equation and makes it kinda like a junior NFL.
Isn't that what it really is? the minor leagues for the NFL?

Yes. I think it is bad for the game. I also think it's bad for most of the players but good for the few really top tier.

Like pro sports the reality of rooting for the home team with the home players barely exists anymore at least in Div I. You want to see some athletes playing for the love of the game ? Go watch a Div 3 or Ivy League game.

Maybe not the highest level of athlete but they put their hearts into it. I may be a bit biased as I was Varsity Gymnastics at Penn where there were / are (?) no athletic scholarships.

It's very similar to the Olympics. I basically stopped watching when the amateur only rule was eliminated. Without that rule there would be no Miracle on Ice etc.

Yes. I think it is bad for the game. I also think it's bad for most of the players but good for the few really top tier.

Like pro sports the reality of rooting for the home team with the home players barely exists anymore at least in Div I. You want to see some athletes playing for the love of the game ? Go watch a Div 3 or Ivy League game.

Maybe not the highest level of athlete but they put their hearts into it. I may be a bit biased as I was Varsity Gymnastics at Penn where there were / are (?) no athletic scholarships.

It's very similar to the Olympics. I basically stopped watching when the amateur only rule was eliminated. Without that rule there would be no Miracle on Ice etc.
It really is "all about the money". Everything else is secondary. USC and UCLA moving to the Big-10 just sort of underscores that. People only think about football, but consider how annoying this will be for, say, volleyball players who suddenly have to take a 4 hour plane ride every time they have an away game... I am certain the student athletes of these other non-revenue sports were not even considered.

Reactions: Donald bader
Every major sport that has "traction" has minor leagues with players that get PAID.

Baseball
Soccer
Basketball

Football has a "practice squad".

The NFL has been using college to "scout" out the best and brightest for years.

College players that don't make it to the pro's can now get on their "side hustle".

What could possibly go wrong? lol

NIL payments are necessary-pay is on the table (everyone pays taxes-we need more taxes-no money ‘paid’ under the table).

The star quarterback will make more than the second string cornerback (what’s more American-if you are great at something, you get paid better than if you’re average).

The average student-athlete gets his tuition which is a great part-time job. Transfer portal is necessary but more regulations may be necessary to ensure stability in the various teams.

I haven't watched espn lately and I often watch w/ sound off so I guess I now get my sports info from OD Wire!! Had to ask Google for updates.

https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...otball-nil-rule-changes-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...stunning-usc-ucla-move-big-ten-chaos-followed

So it's now the Big 16?
4 hour plane ride every time they have an away game
...6 hrs for Rutgers vs UCLA or USC

Football has been the $$$ sport for many years. 20+ yrs ago, MSU-Bozeman recruited a science researcher who excelled at getting huge grants so they could recruit a football coach who demanded a higher salary. Seems the rules dictated that no coach could be paid more than a faculty member!

Breaking news. Yale leaves Ivy League. :p

Screenshot_20220720-151006.png

Reactions: Pat Kiella
I haven't watched espn lately and I often watch w/ sound off so I guess I now get my sports info from OD Wire!! Had to ask Google for updates.

https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg...otball-nil-rule-changes-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...stunning-usc-ucla-move-big-ten-chaos-followed

So it's now the Big 16?
4 hour plane ride every time they have an away game
...6 hrs for Rutgers vs UCLA or USC

Football has been the $$$ sport for many years. 20+ yrs ago, MSU-Bozeman recruited a science researcher who excelled at getting huge grants so they could recruit a football coach who demanded a higher salary. Seems the rules dictated that no coach could be paid more than a faculty member!
It is ridiculous at this point -- I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the missions of these academic institutions.

And again, imagine you're a USC baseball or volleyball player. 6 hour flight to play in NY. All driven by football...

something colin coward brought up..

NIL.
lets say a car dealership pays 1M for name image likeness and the player stays a year then decides to transfer schools.

there is and can be no contract for these things. how long before the market resets?

paying non-professional athletes is another questionable decision that has happened since the COVID era began

Reactions: Pat Kiella
It really is "all about the money". Everything else is secondary. USC and UCLA moving to the Big-10 just sort of underscores that. People only think about football, but consider how annoying this will be for, say, volleyball players who suddenly have to take a 4 hour plane ride every time they have an away game... I am certain the student athletes of these other non-revenue sports were not even considered.
Unfortunately they were not considered because the big two 1. football, 2. basketball pay for all the sports.

Unfortunately they were not considered because the big two 1. football, 2. basketball pay for all the sports.
It is a strange situation -- college sports, in general, just aren't as big a deal culturally on the west coast as they are elsewhere.

If you look at the schools that you'd consider legit "Minor League Football", there are only a handful out here -- USC... UCLA... Oregon [100% because a single person - Phil Knight - has donated hundreds of millions to the school to make it so].

The rest are perpetual also-rans who occasionally do well (Oregon state, Cal, etc..) They have a following, but it isn't a religious thing like it might be at my alma mater or elsewhere back east.

So it is sort of understandable that those two schools bolted, and it would not surprise me in the least if Oregon was the next one to go somewhere else. Soon.

Reactions: Mark Welding OD
I just want Nebraska out of the Big 10. Any program that loses to my Hawkeyes seven times in a row doesn't deserve to exist.

Reactions: Derrick Randall
one of the benefits of being from the east coast/south. Football is king. Its a special time of the year.

I will say, my brother lives in Cour d L Idaho and they have some pretty rabid seahawk fans

one of the benefits of being from the east coast/south. Football is king. Its a special time of the year.

I will say, my brother lives in Cour d L Idaho and they have some pretty rabid seahawk fans
At this point the only ones left are rabid :)

[for those who don't follow football, the team's owner died several years ago, he left most of his estate to his sister, who doesn't seem to really care about any of the teams she inherited.... football, basketball, etc, but she won't sell any of them. So... benign neglect is sort of an understatement.]