Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Dr. DeClue

Please excuse me if this is a re-post. I tried to post it yesterday but I don't think I was successful

Today I had the priviledge of attending the funeral of Dr. DeClue. As I listened to the pastor of the church deliver the eulogy and tell the attendees of his many and outstanding accomplishments I couldn't help but think of some discussions and advice he gave me over the years:
  • 1977: Dr. DeClue (Doc) encouraged me to go back to school and become an optometrist. At the time I was working as an optician at a practice where he was the employed OD. 1994: He congratulated me as I received my degree from the University of MO School of Optometry and remined me of the advice he'd given me 17 years earlier.
  • He's the only OD I know who closed his practice for one month EVERY year and spent 30 days traveling with his wife all over the world.
  • Because he was so active socially, politically and was so well known in the community I had no doubt he could have won just about any election. I asked him one day why he didn't run and he replied, "Bob, it is better to be a king maker than a king."
I was joined by 3 other African American ODs at the funeral. They are all a number of years younger than me but I know they too appreciate the fact that we might not be where we are had it not been for the courage and perserverance of Doc.
Finally, some years ago I came up with a professional and personal motto that says "Blindness is a loss of vision, not a loss of sight." The pastor wound up her remarks by stating that one of the most memorable things Dr. DeClue did was help people make the most of one of God's most precious gifts; the gift of sight. With all respects, I take exception: Doc's greatest gift to his family, his patients, his community (and especially to me) was the ability to focus on our individual and collective vision.

Please excuse me if this is a re-post. I tried to post it yesterday but I don't think I was successful

Today I had the priviledge of attending the funeral of Dr. DeClue. As I listened to the pastor of the church deliver the eulogy and tell the attendees of his many and outstanding accomplishments I couldn't help but think of some discussions and advice he gave me over the years:
  • 1977: Dr. DeClue (Doc) encouraged me to go back to school and become an optometrist. At the time I was working as an optician at a practice where he was the employed OD. 1994: He congratulated me as I received my degree from the University of MO School of Optometry and remined me of the advice he'd given me 17 years earlier.
  • He's the only OD I know who closed his practice for one month EVERY year and spent 30 days traveling with his wife all over the world.
  • Because he was so active socially, politically and was so well known in the community I had no doubt he could have won just about any election. I asked him one day why he didn't run and he replied, "Bob, it is better to be a king maker than a king."
I was joined by 3 other African American ODs at the funeral. They are all a number of years younger than me but I know they too appreciate the fact that we might not be where we are had it not been for the courage and perserverance of Doc.
Finally, some years ago I came up with a professional and personal motto that says "Blindness is a loss of vision, not a loss of sight." The pastor wound up her remarks by stating that one of the most memorable things Dr. DeClue did was help people make the most of one of God's most precious gifts; the gift of sight. With all respects, I take exception: Doc's greatest gift to his family, his patients, his community (and especially to me) was the ability to focus on our individual and collective vision.

Thanks for posting, Dr. Smith. It sounds like Dr. DeClue was quite a remarkable individual!

I hope more folks who knew him post their remembrances.

He really closed for a month every year?! that is incredible! I haven't heard of anyone else that has done the same.

Yep, he closed the doors for one month. No receptionist, no fill in doc, only a sign on the door and an answering machine informing callers when the office would reopen.
Personally, I thought he should have had a doc stand in but the success of his practice is evidence that closing up didn't hurt him. His son has been writing a book about the family for several years. He sent me a copy of part of the doc's chapter. It reads like a who's who in local, national, and international personalities. I had no idea he was entertained by and had himself entertained so many notables.
Bob

Thanks for posting, Dr. Smith. It sounds like Dr. DeClue was quite a remarkable individual!

He really closed for a month every year?! that is incredible! I haven't heard of anyone else that has done the same.

I don't believe I learned more from any clinical instructor in optometry school than I did from Dr. DeClue. Even today, 26 years later, I specifically recall things he taught me. I don't know that I can say that about almost any other person.

I agree. He was a great teacher and loved his profession of optometry. I am honored to have know him.