Having problems getting one credit

Discussion in 'CEwire2020' started by Karen T Walker, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Karen T Walker

Karen T Walker Active Member

Nov 26, 2007
    School/Org:
    Univeristy of Houston College of Optometry
    City:
    Tolleson
    State:
    AZ
    Sorry for the trouble--I tried going through the help desk but what they suggested fell short for some reason.

I attended the Sunday 12:00 pm class 68477-AS (Acquired Blepharoptosis....). It was the only class that didn't show upon the credit list afterward, and still isn't there today. The help desk told me to log off and back on, and go to the certificate list--still not there -- and then try to list at the bottom of the help page (I assume that's the list). I filled out that I took the class, but it said I had to prove it, or some such.

Can you fix? Thank you.

Karen T Walker, O.D.

2. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Hi Karen, no problem. check your private messages!

thanks
    Adam

ps -- the problem you ran into is that the software for whatever reason thought you weren't there for the full hour, so didn't count the credit.

pps -- ARBO is running weeks behind in uploading credits to the OE tracker. The pandemic has hit them hard, so expect to see any activity from this weekend's CEwire in your tracker sometime after thanksgiving.

3. Matt Judd

Matt Judd Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2003
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Hendersonville
    State:
    TN
    Just wondering out loud...why does the "pandemic" affect arbo being able to process ce credits?

I understand manufacturing delays, but this one...don't know

4. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    So I can only tell you what they at ARBO tell me -- I try to keep in touch with them at least on a weekly basis, I'll be calling them again today to get an update.

Apparently they are 3+ weeks behind in processing credits, not just for us, but for everyone.

In order to make an educated guess as to what is going on there, you need to understand how ARBO works.

They aren't a large, rich organization with dozens of employees. They are in fact incredibly lean -- i'd guess there are no more than 3 or 4 people who are considered 'full time' staffers.

In order to collect CE credits from various providers (like CEwire), ARBO built a web-based portal. Based on my interaction with it, it was developed a decade ago, and has only seen small continuous improvement rather than any wholesale redevelopment in that time.

The process of getting credits from a provider into their system is semi-manual. We submit the credits to them electronically in a variety of ways, but this data isn't automatically imported into their system (in fact, you can even submit a well-formatted spreadsheet to them via email.) A HUMAN BEING on ARBOs end has to take this file, look it over to make sure the data looks reasonable, then enter it into their system where it appears on the OE Tracker.

I have no idea what that back-end system looks like, but based on working with ARBO, i can confidently say it doesn't have super-robust exception handling, and instead they rely on humans to handle a lot of the integrity of the data.

This system worked reasonably well in pre-COVID times. There were a limited number of CE providers, and a relatively limited number of events. They knew that after, say, Vision Expo or CEwire they'd be receiving gigantic data uploads of tens of thousands of credits in one giant glob.

Then COVID happened. ARBO modified their rules to waive online testing. Suddenly, every tom, dick and harry was offering "COPE Approved" Zoom talks, with 1 credit here and there.

So ARBO found themselves flooded with these small batches of data coming from all over the place. And as everyone knows, scale is good -- this is why it is more efficient to buy in bulk.

Onesies and Twosies are always more costly.

That is, whether a batch uploaded has 100 credits or 10,000, a human has to deal with it on ARBOs end. This is a rate-limiting step.

So we're left with a traffic-jam and backlog of ARBO trying to deal with a flood of submission. I liken it to a backup of planes on the tarmac at O'Hare waiting to take off -- nothing more aggravating than seeing a two-seater prop plane taking up the same amount of runway and traffic time as a 737, but that's just the way it works.

Better automation could help the OE Tracker issue, but is everyone willing to pay for it?

Matt Judd likes this.
  5. Matt Judd

Matt Judd Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2003
    School/Org:
    SCO
    City:
    Hendersonville
    State:
    TN
    I wonder if it's more to do with more frequent virtual CEs that have been happening? We've done one almost monthly since the rules changed

6. Clarence Widmann

Clarence Widmann ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    School/Org:
    PCO
    City:
    Waco
    State:
    TX
    Just thought I'd add that my first experience went well this past weekend. 14 hours in my underwear and all 14 hours show on my certificate. Great job.

Mark Kleindorfer likes this.
  7. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Thanks Clarence!

The trick now is seeing how long it takes ARBO to post the creduts, Again this is out of our control, but if all works well within the next 1-2 weeks you'll get an email confirmation from the OE Tracker.

I spoke with ARBO yesterday, they wanted to remind everybody not to rely on those confirmation emails but instead to always log in and check your OE Tracker to make sure your credits have posted.

Fortunately for everyone, you know the COPE administrator for the conference (me) so if anything goes awry, I can help you fix it, just drop me a line

-- ad

8. Clarence Widmann

Jun 28, 2009
    School/Org:
    PCO
    City:
    Waco
    State:
    TX
    Texas already has the live conference listed on their list of approved courses. I just printed out my certificate and faxed it to them. That should do it. I'll let you know if they say different.

celive.png

9. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Great!

I'm hoping in 2021 ARBO catches up & gets used to this "new normal", at least until their rules revert to the old way of doing things (maybe in the summer?)

10. James Harper

James Harper ODwire.org Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    School/Org:
    University of Houston College of Optometry
    City:
    Odessa
    State:
    Tx
    i am not getting the course numbers on OD wire CE certificate to match up to the numbers shown on the TOB course numbers ie, ODwire course numbers are 6_ _ _ _ and TOB course numbers are 2_ _ _ _
    What am I missing?

11. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Give me a couple of incorrect course names and numbers, i'll post the link to the course on the ARBO site so you can see definitively what it is supposed to be! (ARBO is the ultimate arbiter of what the proper course ID is -- is it possible that TX messed up inputting the numbers?)

thanks,
    Adam

12. James Harper

Sep 17, 2007
    School/Org:
    City:
    Odessa
    State:
    Tx
    If you look at Ryan's post the OD wire courses in Texas don't all show course name, and the course ID numbers are 20781 and 20895 which are different from OD wire numbers (unless I am not looking at the correct info).

13. James Harper

Sep 17, 2007
    School/Org:
    City:
    Odessa
    State:
    Tx
    Sorry Adam - That should have read Dr. Widmann Post #8

14. Clarence Widmann

Jun 28, 2009
    School/Org:
    PCO
    City:
    Waco
    State:
    TX
    Just glancing at things I think Texas assigns it's own number to each conference. I don't think each individual course in the conference is listed on their site.

http://www.tob.texas.gov/files/PDFdocs/LIVECE.pdf

15. Jonovan Ottenbacher

Jonovan Ottenbacher Active Member

Nov 5, 2007
    School/Org:
    Univeristy of Houston College of Optometry
    City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    CA
    ARBO pulls the video from the webcam on your laptop and has someone watch you the entire hour you're watching the lecture. This is so they can ensure you were actually paying attention and not wandering around raking leaves or whatever. With the increased usage of online CE, they need to watch many more hours of webcam recordings.

Matt Judd likes this.