Inside the AMA's wide-ranging fight against scope creep - American Medical Association

And yet, optometrists, young and old, continue to seek employment in ophthalmology practices that use the money earned by these enablers to fight us day-after-day, year-after-year.

It boggles the mind and defies logical explanation.

"they know not what they do..."

Or, do they not care about the rest of us?

On this board and at optometry meetings, I often hear gripes and complaints and all these new schools and how we are just stamping out under-qualified optometrists that are almost pre-ordained to go work in corporate optometry and by inference, somehow work against optometrists in private practice.

Brothers and Sisters - when was the last time WalMart worked against expansion of optometry scope of practice laws?

How about National Vision or Luxottica?

I know who our enemies are and you just read an article in the previous post that highlights how organized the effort is.

Open your eyes everybody...

Last edited:
Reactions: Donald bader
when was the last time WalMart worked against expansion of optometry scope of practice laws

Indirectly when they put in remote exams, but I understand your more general remarks.

Reactions: Ed Makler
Eye examinations delivered using remote technology IS NOT the same as actively using power and money to oppress us and discriminate against us.

It is not the same.

We can’t really fight telehealth, but we have to fight organized medicine AND organized ophthalmology.

That is what SOME OF US have to do to protect our profession.

It would always help if we had more fighters. Join your State Association and the AOA. It is our best weapon other than developing person relationships with State Legislators.

Hard to fight our enemies when you work in their house instead of the fields…

Last edited:
Big box devalues optometry. Oversupply devalues optometry. Lots of enemies out there and then sometimes we are our own worst one.

Reactions: Donald bader
We are talking organized hate from medical doctors directed towards our profession - nothing else is even close

Last edited:
I'm always fascinated when I read ODwire about how our profession has changed so much,
and how it hasn't. I started out in the early days of the "side by side" locations. I did pure
optometry, never sold a pair of glasses. I always took pride in the fact that I never sold a pt.
a pair of +0.50s that they may or may not have needed. I did my job, gave pts. the Rx and
they went wherever they liked to fill it.

I joined my local state society and the AOA. I paid my dues and assessments which they used
to then sue all of the "side by side" docs because they didn't like the location of our practices.
Simply put, nothing but economic competition as proven by the fact that we prevailed in court.
We were our own worst enemy. It's always about the money!

As I recall, ophthalmology only disliked us a little then, only minor economic competition. We referred
everything to them. As our scope of practice expanded, mainly with DPA's and TPA's they
came to dislike us more and more (even bordering on hating us). Now, as we expand more and
more into their domain along with the other professions they've got so much more to hate. It's
always about the money!

And, as for OD's young and old choosing to work for ophthalmologists; good salary, good benefits
and good hours allowing them to spend their good salary. Not that mind boggling, still always
about the money.

Optometry was a wonderful profession for me and served me well, but still glad to be retired now.

Last edited by a moderator:
So!, it's all about you. I thought we all do it(whatever) for the advancement of the profession and for future generations.
No, doc, not all about me or you

. If you read into why people make the decisions they do, more often than
not it's about the money. So, many of the threads I read here involve proper coding and billing and how to
maximize profits. You think the doctor deciding to go back to private practice is doing so with the
expectation of making less money?

Unfortunatley, I don't believe most people are as noble as we'd like to believe.

Forgive me for being jaded, it comes with age ;)

Reactions: Kenneth C Dzubey OD
No, doc, not all about me or you. If you read into why people make the decisions they do, more often than
not it's about the money. So, many of the threads I read here involve proper coding and billing and how to
maximize profits. You think the doctor deciding to go back to private practice is doing so with the
expectation of making less money?

Unfortunatley, I don't believe most people are as noble as we'd like to believe.
Forgive me for being jaded, it comes with age ;)
I gave up money to do what I do. Call me a stupid idealist.

Dr. Glazer is right on point!

It is always about the money.

The more we make - the more they hate.

The most money is usually owning your own private practice.

I did not say it was the easiest way to practice - but it is usually the most profitable way to practice.

We do so many of us take the easy way out?

Why do so many of our colleagues not care what their bosses do to oppress all the rest of us?

It is frustrating and I am ranting - I just finished my 3-day work week and it is time for a cold beverage.

Reactions: Ed Makler
Dr. Glazer is right on point!

It is always about the money.

The more we make - the more they hate.

The most money is usually owning your own private practice.

I did not say it was the easiest way to practice - but it is usually the most profitable way to practice.

We do so many of us take the easy way out?

Why do so many of our colleagues not care what their bosses do to oppress all the rest of us?

It is frustrating and I am ranting - I just finished my 3-day work week and it is time for a cold beverage.
Sorry we're not closer I'd love to join you in a cold one ( my preference, Heineken; hope that's not political)
Still composing on why I took the easy way out

You worked for yourself - that's not the easy way out - that's the best way out!

Ice cold beer is ice cold beer - bring it on and don't forget the second bottle!

I'm always fascinated when I read ODwire about how our profession has changed so much,
and how it hasn't. I started out in the early days of the "side by side" locations. I did pure
optometry, never sold a pair of glasses. I always took pride in the fact that I never sold a pt.
a pair of +0.50s that they may or may not have needed. I did my job, gave pts. the Rx and
they went wherever they liked to fill it.
I joined my local state society and the AOA. I paid my dues and assessments which they used
to then sue all of the "side by side" docs because they didn't like the location of our practices.
Simply put, nothing but economic competition as proven by the fact that we prevailed in court.
We were our own worst enemy. It's always about the money!
As I recall, ophthalmology only disliked us a little then, only minor economic competition. We referred
everything to them. As our scope of practice expanded, mainly with DPA's and TPA's they
came to dislike us more and more (even bordering on hating us). Now, as we expand more and
more into their domain along with the other professions they've got so much more to hate. It's
always about the money!
And, as for OD's young and old choosing to work for ophthalmologists; good salary, good benefits
and good hours allowing them to spend their good salary. Not that mind boggling, still always
about the money.
Optometry was a wonderful profession for me and served me well, but still glad to be retired now.
Oh, I feel I practice "pure optometry." No corporation can displace my practice and I am not at the mercy of any optical or other individual with an interest. I make a difference in people's lives in a way that no other type of professional can. I believe glasses are a medical device and I take pride in every pair that gets dispensed from my practice.