Interview: Olympian Laurie Hernandez on Contact Lenses, Perseverance, and DWTS!

Discussion in 'ODwire.org TV & Radio' started by AdminWolf, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Richard_Hom

Richard_Hom ODwire.org Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    School/Org:
    UC Berkeley School of Optometry
    City:
    San Mateo
    State:
    CA
    In a YouTube interview, she said the chalk dust was too disturbing even if she was wearing soft contact lenses.

2. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Interesting -- Laurie said it didn't seem to bother her "you get it in the eyes whether you are wearing CLs or not". Guess everyone has a different tolerance! Still if i'm faceplanting, I don't want anything near my head.

3. Richard_Hom

Richard_Hom ODwire.org Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    School/Org:
    UC Berkeley School of Optometry
    City:
    San Mateo
    State:
    CA
    Adam,
    My daughter did gymnastics for a year and she heard many children in the upper grades who wore contacts but only if they never wore glasses while training. If they started with contacts (at age 8-12) ,then there is still a chance they can start contacts. Uneven bars with bars usually begins after the first year (at least with my daughter).

I think it is perception. Guessing from the appearance of her lenses and frames, she must be at least -4 This means that she has adapted to her perception of space and movement. It would be difficult to revert to soft contact lenses.

4. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    So the "protip" here is to really do a thorough history with your patients, and understand their avocations. Particularly the kiddos, because you could in a real sense alter the course of their lives (and that's even putting aside the self-esteem issues of glasses vs. lenses,etc.)

Paul made the decision to fit me with lenses when I was around 8 or 9 (back in the stone ages), I can only imagine that it has become an order of magnitude easier and cheaper to fit a kid in the interim.

5. Gretchyn Bailey

Gretchyn Bailey ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2001
    School/Org:
    Optometry Times
    City:
    Lansdale
    State:
    PA