ODwire.org Supporting Member
Oct 12, 2007
School/Org
Southern College of Optometry
City
Slidell
State
LA
I'm an optometrist, but I don't "live to work", I "work to live." Optometry is my profession and career, but it doesn't 'consume' me or 'define me.' (Sometimes I wonder about some of you! :p) Is anyone having any fun? What do you do with your spare time? Other than you recent graduates busting ass to grow your practice (and at this particular moment in time, I don't envy you), what are (would) you be doing if not reading, posting and 'bashing' others on 'ODWire?' I have my opinions, just like the rest of you. Getting 'caught-up' in all of that at my age and length of time in practice seems a pointless waste of time and energy.

I've seen a few of you are scuba divers. Me, too! Dr. Shelly says he's a pilot. (Fixed-wing or rotary?) I've flown gliders and ultra-lights and R/C.

What else (for those of us that would like some escape from the usual) turns you on?

I am an Optometrist too and I also work to live very well and comfortably.
I love to work and find time to enjoy the money I have earned.
It gives me more pleasure to sit back, relax and then fuel-up to get back to work again.
I work like an Elephant so I can eat like an Elephant not to eat like a rat.:);)

I'm an optometrist, but I don't "live to work", I "work to live." Optometry is my profession and career, but it doesn't 'consume' me or 'define me.' (Sometimes I wonder about some of you! :p) Is anyone having any fun? What do you do with your spare time? Other than you recent graduates busting ass to grow your practice (and at this particular moment in time, I don't envy you), what are (would) you be doing if not reading, posting and 'bashing' others on 'ODWire?' I have my opinions, just like the rest of you. Getting 'caught-up' in all of that at my age and length of time in practice seems a pointless waste of time and energy.

I've seen a few of you are scuba divers. Me, too! Dr. Shelly says he's a pilot. (Fixed-wing or rotary?) I've flown gliders and ultra-lights and R/C.

What else (for those of us that would like some escape from the usual) turns you on?

1) Music (playing the guitar, piano)
2) Golf
3) Cooking
4) Visiting and photographing historic sites

I drive to Dallas to fistfight with McD.

Just kidding, I spend a lot of time w/my family. I play some reasonably good golf (enough not to embarrass myself), kayak on occassion and ride a road bike (yes, that's a bicycle) although not as much as my 36 y.o. love handles would like me to!

Live to work

Dear David,

Well - Here I go! Perhaps I'm the exception to the rule but I'm sure that there are others like me out there. Just perhaps too shy or too old to take the time to post.

Since I became an O.D., I have learned over the years that Optometry was the perfect lifestyle for me.

When my father was in the hospital, he asked everyone to leave the room as he wished to be alone with me. He sat up in the hospital bed and took my hands, "He said: "Son, I want you to find yourself a hobby!" I asked: "What hobby?" He replied: "Golf, biking, etc." "Anything to get you out of the office." I looked my dad in the eye and replied: "But Dad, I love what I do and I enjoy grinding glasses and contact lenses on my spare time."

Tears as big as crocodiles began to freely flow from my father's eyes and slooowly he began the find the words to speak: "Son, I worked all my life and never found anything that I loved that much. I'm so happy that my favorite son is happy with what he is doing." "Imagine, having a hobby that makes money." "Incredible". A few days later, Dad was laid to rest.

On the other hand, I have many friends who can't wait to 'retire'. Last week, I received two calls from O.D. friends that wish to sell their practice. They are both 80 years old. Perhaps, when I reach their age - I might also wish to retire but until that day arrives, I'm having a lot of fun -still.

Dear David,

Well - Here I go! Perhaps I'm the exception to the rule but I'm sure that there are others like me out there. Just perhaps too shy or too old to take the time to post.

Since I became an O.D., I have learned over the years that Optometry was the perfect lifestyle for me.

When my father was in the hospital, he asked everyone to leave the room as he wished to be alone with me. He sat up in the hospital bed and took my hands, "He said: "Son, I want you to find yourself a hobby!" I asked: "What hobby?" He replied: "Golf, biking, etc." "Anything to get you out of the office." I looked my dad in the eye and replied: "But Dad, I love what I do and I enjoy grinding glasses and contact lenses on my spare time."

Tears as big as crocodiles began to freely flow from my father's eyes and slooowly he began the find the words to speak: "Son, I worked all my life and never found anything that I loved that much. I'm so happy that my favorite son is happy with what he is doing." "Imagine, having a hobby that makes money." "Incredible". A few days later, Dad was laid to rest.

On the other hand, I have many friends who can't wait to 'retire'. Last week, I received two calls from O.D. friends that wish to sell their practice. They are both 80 years old. Perhaps, when I reach their age - I might also wish to retire but until that day arrives, I'm having a lot of fun -still.

That is good that you enjoy it that much, but I have never in my life heard of anyone who lay on their death bed and exclaimed "God....I wish I spent more time in the office all those years ago."

I enjoy being an optometrist as well, but I have plans and goals for things I want to accomplish outside of optometry, and I look forward to my time away from the office when I can do those things.

Last week I had three wonderful experiences that will be etched forever into my mind.

1). A patient came in on Friday. When I introduced myself, the patient exclaimed: "Dr Yamamoto, you have been here for 40 years." I gently prodded her that she was very close in her estimate. I looked at her closely but did not recognize her as having ever been in our practice. Finally, I got brave enough to ask: "How long have you been coming to us for eyecare." She replied: "This is my first visit." I must have looked a bit surprised by her answer when she said: "My parents drove me past your office for many years while I was growing up and I remember seeing your office." "Finally, I'm now 46 and having problems reading so I decided to come to you. All my friends tell me that you are a 'caring doc' and I wanted a 'caring doc' for my first eye exam." I was pleased that my deep love for my profession was noticed by our patients.

2). I got a call before Christmas from a retired O.D. He was the biggest thing going when I arrived in town 44 years ago. This O.D. was charging $100 for an eye exam while the rest of the world back then were charging $12.00. I became one of his admirer's from a long distance and never had the opportunity to have met him in person. He was on the other end of the phone telling me "how he admired me as a very reputable O.D." Most of his church members were my patients as well as his neighbors. I was flushed with embarrassement as he went on and on. He not once asked if I had ever considered retirement. What we did focus on was :"How sorry he was that he had retired from his practice." We ended up the wonderful conversation by inviting him to use our facilities for his families eyecare. He began to weep on the phone and reply that He was overwhelmed by my generosity. He ended the conversation in this fashion: "Don't make the mistake that I did by retiring from the most wonderful profession on earth." I reassured him that that was the furthest thing from reality.

3). On Saturday, I opened my email to find a PM from a young female O.D. She began to relate how she used to be my patient as a young girl and that her experience which she had during those days inspired her to become an optometrist. She related how she was one of a classmate of our son. I was so touched by that PM. What a wonderful way to bring 2007 to a close.

Not so long ago, a local O.D. died at home at a ripe old age. You see, he was still practicing at the time. He was a rare find. Loved his profession. His patients loved him. He died doing what he loved. Optometry kept him alive as he lived to work. His long life had a purpose. I should be so lucky.

As I have said on many occasions, this is not everyone's cup of tea. Each of us must beat to our own tune that plays inside our head. For me, working provides us income that I can give to those less fortunate than us. There are many folks out there in need of help. Thus, being of sound mind and of good health, I am one of the fortunates that God has elected to put to good use. I don't intend to disappoint my maker. My mission in life has a purpose. My background has prepared me for a life of self-sacrifice for the good of others.

Happy New Year to All,

Inspirational, Dr. Yamamoto. Thank you for that.

My favorite saying is apparently a bastardization of yours,
Dr. Miller: I have taken it as "Live to work AND work to live" instead of "OR".

The saying connotes to me that your life is consigned to full-time work, and if you don't meet the obligation, the consequences will get you.

Not much fun, right?

What I think the "secret" is, is to accept the obligation and try to make it fun.

Again, just a little harshness on my part, but I'm of the opinion that "boys play and men work".

Whoops, better get offline now:eek:!

Last edited:
Inspirational, Dr. Yamamoto. Thank you for that.

My favorite saying is apparently a bastardization of yours,
Dr. Miller: I have taken it as "Live to work AND work to live" instead of "OR".

The saying connotes to me that your life is consigned to full-time work, and if you don't meet the obligation, the consequences will get you.

Not much fun, right?

What I think the "secret" is, is to accept the obligation and try to make it fun.

Again, just a little harshness on my part, but I'm of the opinion that "boys play and men work".

Whoops, better get offline now:eek:!

Guess I'm just a "boy" then.....I'd rather play and work less. Alas, I do have responsibilities. Seriously, after 30 years in practice, it's not fun anymore. I have lots of hobbies and other interests that keep what little sanity and hair I have left. Just this past Monday night (New Year's Eve) my barbershop quartet sang the Canadian National Anthem and the Star Spangled Banner at the New Orleans Hornets/Toronto Raptors basketball game. (I almost majored in music.....often wish I had.) But my "mostest" fun is had skydiving. I had always wanted to try it, and once I did, I was hooked.
So, maybe AND instead of OR isn't too far off for most, but trying to make optometry fun isn't gettin' it for me. I'm always on the look-out for a new distraction! Guess I'm looking for that proverbial "one thing" (you know, like in City Slickers?)

Jeffrey... boys play... men work... and girls just wanna have fun! :)

I enjoy my work (most of the time :D). I enjoy the things Harvey talks about. I enjoy the fact that you don't have to look too hard, to see that you are doing 'good' for the community you live in.

However, if I was to win 15 million, I can guarantee you I would not be in full time practice. I'd still work for fun, but not full time. My focus would be much more on aid work. Last year I was paddling in Uganda, and I met a couple of paddlers/dentists who were combining their paddling with dental aid work. Seemed like an awesome way to do things!

What do I do for fun? Anything outdoorsy. My loves are climbing, whitewater kayaking and freediving. I occasionally scuba dive and ride my mountain bike. I roadbike, run, swim and flatwater kayak in order to keep fit for all the other stuff :)

I think that being too focused on your job is an unhealthy thing - you need to have hobbies, and experiences in the outside world in order to relate to your patients. I think it's all very well to 'have a calling', however to remain grounded, and current, you need to not be at work 15 hours a day, 6 days a week (yes I am aware of my atrocious grammer in that sentence).

My patients enjoy the fact I have an active outdoors life, and often pop in, just to find out how my last trip went... I also find that after a break from work, I am a lot more patient focused, and a lot less jaded. Doesn't mean that I hate my job... it just means that we all need a break occasionally!

steff

O.K. O.K. I get the message. I will make an appointment with the nearest shrink to find out 'why' I'm still enjoying optometry so much. After reading all the post's -there must be something loose in my head.

Here's something even worse. I've been donating my salary back to the practice for 5 years so they can buy me more toys to play with. The toys are getting more expensive so I might have to pay my company the privilege of working here. I hope that my analyst will find that loose screw so I can enjoy something other than Optometry.

There's nothing wrong with you Harvey. Of all the docs I've met, or chatted with, you would be my number one choice BY FAR to examine my eyes. I bet having an exam by you in your office would be an incredible experience, and well worth the price of admission.

Keep working hard, and taking pride in your life's calling. Nothing wrong with that.

Stephen,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was getting a bit worried about myself having too much fun in the exam room.

Tonight during our last exam, the staff came poking their head into our room as the patient, her husband and I were giggling and laughing so hard. I was doing a trial frame exam when the husband took one look at his wife with the ugly trial frames and remarked: "Hey, those look really nice on you." He kept on making similar remarks that kept us in stitches. I asked him to assist me by holding loose trial lenses and asking his wife 'which is better?" He got a blast out of that. Then I got him to hold a maddox rod in front of her eyes so we could do phoria testing and he asked his wife 'how many zebra's did she see running across the screen?" We laughed some more. I then turned on a small spot light across the room and he asked his wife if the Zebra's were running through the choo choo train's lights. We laughed again and again. I had him hold the near point card in front of his wife and he turned it upside down and asked her to read the smallest print that she could. We couldn't stop laughing. When we finished, he asked if I had time to do the same exam on him.

I had her return the favor and she acted as my assistant. I was beginning to wonder if we would ever finish with the exam. Our staff must have thought that we lost it completely. When we finished, their son who had been waiting in the front asked if we had time to do his eyes. I obliged and dismissed the staff to go home while my wife stayed to do the honors at the conclusion of the exam. We finished around 7:30 p.m. making for a long fun filled day that should have ended at 5:30. Oh yeah! Both parents wanted to assist me during the son's exam and they kept taking turns pulling stunts on him. We even had the son roaring with laughter. At the conclusion of the exam, the husband and father asked if he could buy the trial frame for his wife. The look on her face was priceless. Without breaking stride, I replied: "Sure!" & I broke into a monstrous smile which made all of them laugh.

That is a typical day in our practice. Lot's and lot's of laughter- just having so much fun. Then again, I may be a bit 'nuts'.

No shrink necessary...

O.K. O.K. I get the message. I will make an appointment with the nearest shrink to find out 'why' I'm still enjoying optometry so much. After reading all the post's -there must be something loose in my head.

Here's something even worse. I've been donating my salary back to the practice for 5 years so they can buy me more toys to play with. The toys are getting more expensive so I might have to pay my company the privilege of working here. I hope that my analyst will find that loose screw so I can enjoy something other than Optometry.

Those individuals who did not have the advantage of a comfortable middle class life, never took tennis and golf lessons etc as kids. Many never had choices other than work hard at school and do your share supporting the family. Those in rural areas might have spent time hunting and fishing but not if you were a city kid.

Learning hobbies later in life takes real effort. It's much easier to fall back on the things you do well. If work gives pleasure all the better.

If "life is work and work is life" and no apologies because that is what is enjoyed, only one addition element is needed. An understanding spouse is the key.:)

If not home life becomes a disaster. Divorce negotiations are waiting in the background. Beware! :eek:

There's nothing wrong with you Harvey. Of all the docs I've met, or chatted with, you would be my number one choice BY FAR to examine my eyes. I bet having an exam by you in your office would be an incredible experience, and well worth the price of admission.

Keep working hard, and taking pride in your life's calling. Nothing wrong with that.

As an optometrist, I would NEVER let Dr. Yamamoto examine my eyes however I would LOVE to work for him. In fact, I would be willing to work for free....no wait.... I WILL PERSONALLY PAY DR. YAMAMOTO FOR THE PRIVELEDGE OF WORKING IN HIS OFFICE.

Why would I do this? Because clearly....it's optometric rapture.

By his own admission, his office is so glorious that it causes other ODs to become clinically depressed with just one viewing!

Harvey Yamamoto said:
We receive several visitations from all over this country each month. I no longer conduct the tours and allow my staff to do so. I am always available for questions that might arise from the tour, My staff also noticed while conducting the tours that most of the visiting O.D.'s appear very despondent at the end of such tours.

In fact, one OD was SO despondent, that he actually lost the will to live and ended up DYING because of his visit to Dr. Yamamoto's office!

Harvey Yamamoto said:
An old O.D. acquaintance traveled 350 miles in his motor home with his family to visit our practice. 2 years later he passed away and we were invited to his funeral. The widow invited my wife and I to spend the night with her after the funeral. While we were having a quiet dinner, she spoke up with her mouth quivering. We watched in total silence as the words began to slowly come out. "The biggest mistake that I ever made was to allow my husband to visit your practice. He was never the same man once we returned to our practice. He became despondent and changed his entire demeanor. I asked why? She said that when he observed you manufacturing glasses and contact lenses, he knew was so awe struck that he never regained himself.

Other ODs, long since retired, break down weeping just at the extension of an invitation to be a patient in Dr. Yamamoto's practice!

Harvey Yamamoto said:
I got a call before Christmas from a retired O.D. He was the biggest thing going when I arrived in town 44 years ago. This O.D. was charging $100 for an eye exam while the rest of the world back then were charging $12.00. I became one of his admirer's from a long distance and never had the opportunity to have met him in person. He was on the other end of the phone telling me "how he admired me as a very reputable O.D." Most of his church members were my patients as well as his neighbors. I was flushed with embarrassement as he went on and on. He not once asked if I had ever considered retirement. What we did focus on was :"How sorry he was that he had retired from his practice." We ended up the wonderful conversation by inviting him to use our facilities for his families eyecare. He began to weep on the phone and reply that He was overwhelmed by my generosity.

The glory isn't just confined to Dr. Yamamoto! His office manager, who also happens to be his wife is so wonderful that the entire staff becomes immediately clinically depressed if she so much as takes one morning off to run errands or go Christmas Shopping.

Harvey Yamamoto said:
She had to do last minute shopping for our grandkids this a.m. and my entire staff is depressed without her effervescent personality. I told them that she would be joining us for lunch and that seemed to have cheered them all up.

Dr. Yamamoto....please accept my offer! I would be willing to pay you $800 per day to come and work in your office just so I can be part of the rapture.

To: Dr Ken Elder,

Well said. Yes, we will gladl accept your offer. We will then be the only practice on ODwire with two nuts willing to pay the practice for the opportunity to work. Don't worry about me doing your exam. I will introduce you to Dr. Z-View. He also works for free and he's pretty good.

To: Dr. Paul,

I've always noticed that you are able to take my dialogue and carefully analyze the 'real meaning' in what I post. That is a gift that not many are given.

Yes, I've had a harder life than most who post's on ODwire. But in spite of my deprived opportunities - I did participate in sports. i.e. Baseball, Basketball, Football. I made the varsity team in all the aforementioned sports and lettered in each one. I played with much fervor and intensity making the coach's appreciate having someone on their team who was willing to sacrifice their physical abuse for the good of the team.

In college, I took up tennis and made the team to go on to win many games. Again, I was diving for balls and played with much passion which translated into the same passion I had for mowing lawns, pumping gas, making dolls, cleaning toilets and even optometry.

Heck, while in the military, I was introduced to a game called Golf. I excelled at golf working my way up the ladder of understanding the game and sported a 22 handicap & our son was blessed with a 12 handicap (He could religiously drive the ball 280 yards from any given tee). I had no problem winning tournaments with my son. One day when my son and I returned from a game of golf - 'My wife asked an interesting question which made me really think.' Here was her question: "I don't understand this game that you call golf? Both you and our son get up at 5 a.m. and stand outside for your friends to pick you up then you go without breakfast as you are so excited - then you both come home, kick the dog, kick the furniture, & appear grumpy and tired." She was right. Most times we would have less than expected 'great games' and we would be mad at ourselves for not hitting that perfect drive. Thus after romancing this game called, golf (12 years) - I turned in my clubs for the patternless edger. My son and I were making our own custom made clubs in our garage. We both owned 3 complete custom made clubs. We were serious golfers and loved the sport.

Paul, The drive which was developed in me through our years of hardship while growing up has obviously had a greater influence on our work ethics which you were able to pick up on. Thanks for that. I take my hat off to you.

Ooops...I'd better be careful....people are getting pretty darn sensitve these days, and it'll only get worse in 2008 with radicals Huckabee and Obama primed for a show down. Serious raw nerve stimulation for sure. I'll reword:

May I please join you two, and perhaps act as the intermediary to form a bond of mutual respect and admiration? If it's not too inconvenient, I mean. Afterward, we can go enjoy a nice bottle of White Zinfindel by the fire place, while listening to Michael Bolton and Celine Dion. We can cap the night off by going to the local clothier to try on jeans and compare booty shapes.

I'm so excited! Please don't keep me hanging.:):):)

Dear Stephen,

Yes, Yes, Yes. By all means you are invited to join Ken and I. We can become the 3 amigo's of ODwire. Don't forget to bring the White Zinfindel and I might even allow Ken to check your eyes after we empty the bottle. You might become the magical 'glue' that keeps us all together.

Dr. Yamamoto....please accept my offer! I would be willing to pay you $800 per day to come and work in your office just so I can be part of the rapture.

Dear Ken,

I've been rethinking this offer. On second thought, I might be the stupid one. Since you are better looking and younger than I, my wife jsut might run off with you and that would leave me in a real bind. I would have to go to a tatoo parlor and have the guy 'tatoo' stupid across my forehead. Now we wouldn't want that, would we?

At times, Hindsight is better than foresight. Yes?

Dear Ken,

I've been rethinking this offer. On second thought, I might be the stupid one. Since you are better looking and younger than I, my wife jsut might run off with you and that would leave me in a real bind. I would have to go to a tatoo parlor and have the guy 'tatoo' stupid across my forehead. Now we wouldn't want that, would we?

At times, Hindsight is better than foresight. Yes?

That's ok, Harvey. I think it's probably best that I don't show up at your office. I don't want to end up killing myself.

Dr. Yamamoto...have you seen Ken?

Stephen,

My wife finally showed back to the office. She had gone to the airport to wait for Ken.

We also heard from Ken. He said that he changed his mind and mentioned something about not wanting to commit 'Hari-Kari'. I have no idea what he meant by that.

Dear Ken and Stephen,

Now that was a great dialogue and we enjoyed having fun with you guys. Let's all have a wonderful 2008.

Stephen,

In defense of Ken, 'He used a more direct approach.' In japanese: "Hari-Cari" means as follows: Hari when spoken by a native means 'stomach'. Cari means 'cut'.

The story behind : "Hari-Cari" is quite interesting. In Japan's old feudal system, 'WarLords (Shogun) ruled throughout Japan". Ever hear about the 7 Samurai warrior's. Their warlord was humliated by another warlord and he was killed by the enemy while sleeping. His band of Samurai warriers fought the enemy bravely until just 7 were left. Traditionally, the remaining Samurai warriors were supposed to take their own life by cutting their stomach open while on bended knee while their buddy would cut off their head to end a warrior's life. As the story goes, the 7 remaining warrior's elected to wait a year until things had cooled down. A year later, they got together and donned their battle gear. In the still of the night they visited the warlord who had slain their leader and between the 7 brave samurai's defeated the enemy warlord and his vast army of samurai's.

Once the battle was won and their dead warlord's defeat was avenged. the 7 Samurai's got together and commited mass 'Hari-Kari'. My grandmother told me this story while I was a little boy. When she told me that we had Samurai warriors in our bloodline 200 years ago, I felt pretty proud of my heritage. We also had royalty from her side of the family making us children pretty special. A movie was made about this story about 20 years ago and I had the privilege of watching it on TV. It was exactly as grandmother had related it to me.

Although, I come from a long line of such warrior's. I don't think that I would have the strength to do such a thing. Grandma told me many other fascinating stories relating to 'Hari-Cari' and the tradition behind it but I've said enough. The Chicago broadcaster's name was spelled: Harry Carey or something like that.

Wow!

Is there something about optometrists to be read between the lines here?!?! I started this thread to maybe have a little less serious line of discussion than the majority of things on ODWire....you know, outside interests, hobbies......FUN stuff?!?!?! HTF did this seque to SUICIDE?

Geez! Some of you guys crack me up!:)

Stephen,

In defense of Ken, 'He used a more direct approach.' In japanese: "Hari-Cari" means as follows: Hari when spoken by a native means 'stomach'. Cari means 'cut'.

The story behind : "Hari-Cari" is quite interesting. In Japan's old feudal system, 'WarLords (Shogun) ruled throughout Japan". Ever hear about the 7 Samurai warrior's. Their warlord was humliated by another warlord and he was killed by the enemy while sleeping. His band of Samurai warriers fought the enemy bravely until just 7 were left. Traditionally, the remaining Samurai warriors were supposed to take their own life by cutting their stomach open while on bended knee while their buddy would cut off their head to end a warrior's life. As the story goes, the 7 remaining warrior's elected to wait a year until things had cooled down. A year later, they got together and donned their battle gear. In the still of the night they visited the warlord who had slain their leader and between the 7 brave samurai's defeated the enemy warlord and his vast army of samurai's.

Once the battle was won and their dead warlord's defeat was avenged. the 7 Samurai's got together and commited mass 'Hari-Kari'. My grandmother told me this story while I was a little boy. When she told me that we had Samurai warriors in our bloodline 200 years ago, I felt pretty proud of my heritage. We also had royalty from her side of the family making us children pretty special. A movie was made about this story about 20 years ago and I had the privilege of watching it on TV. It was exactly as grandmother had related it to me.

Although, I come from a long line of such warrior's. I don't think that I would have the strength to do such a thing. Grandma told me many other fascinating stories relating to 'Hari-Cari' and the tradition behind it but I've said enough. The Chicago broadcaster's name was spelled: Harry Carey or something like that.

Thanks for the story Harvey. I was aware of the difference between the broadcaster (Harry Carey) and the ritual (hari-kiri), but obviously the sarcasm did not convey well.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely Stephanie, but only if you organize a TupperWare party for our male forum members.:eek::p

Last edited by a moderator:
Holey moley! A Tupperware party???? I can, however do a webinar on making your dollars stretch on a holiday (including 15 ways to eat lentils, how to sleep under a park bench, and how to look hungry enough that other people feed you)!! :D

steff

Sheesh! So much for Optometric Economic advancement Down Under!

You ever get to Texas and need a job, look me up. I'll teach how to eat Filet Mignon every day and not feel guilty about it.:p

Aargh!!

Ha ha!!! Great thread guys (can I have some of that wine?) :D

steff

A fun loving, discriminating Australian ;) having access to marvelous Shiraz vintages would drink a California marketing invention called "White Zinfandel"?:eek:

The California Zinfandel is marvelous when you want a robust red. One I would recommend at a moderate price has the unlikely name of "Seven Deadly Zins". The ridiculous name belies a great bottle of wine.

Sheesh! So much for Optometric Economic advancement Down Under!

You ever get to Texas and need a job, look me up. I'll teach how to eat Filet Mignon every day and not feel guilty about it.:p

Optometric Economic Advancement - I spend my wage on universal health care... remember? :D On the upside, I don't know that my waist line would survive fillet mignon every night :D

Paul, yep - I'm usually an Australian red wine drinker... if someone else is buying... :)

Have a fantastic day everyone!

steff

Enjoy both work and life

I graduated in 1979 and have been in private practice since then. I still LOVE optometry, but I love life too. I work 9-5 on Mon, Wed & Thur. On Tues I work from 1 to 7. I work an ocassional Fri, generally on weeks that have a Mon holiday. I schedule a lunch/catch up break from noon to 1:30 and only see 10-14 patients per day. I have 3.5 full time staff and only delegate, history, acuities, FDT fields and Amsler grid. I do fundus photos on almost every patient and spend a lot of time educating patients. My staff is fantastic and many of the patients have become long term friends.

I live two miles from work and in the morning I stay at home until the first patient arrives. At home I enjoy a 16x40 foot pool and 2/3rds of an acre of privacy that takes a little too much time to keep up. I enjoy pruning, planting and my vegetable garden, but really need to hire more help with the day-to-day upkeep.

I've been involved in Kodokan Judo since 1968. I am a third degree black belt and an International referee. I travel quite a bit around the US and a little bit internationally. I practice and teach two days a week for a total of 4 to 6 hours per week.

My latest passion is golf. I take an hour lesson once a week and trying to turn pretty good natural ability to what I hope will end up being a decent game.

I enjoy downhill skiing and used to go waverunning/camping quite a bit, but lost the water toys in a divorce and haven't wanted to fill up the garage with more.

I love traveling and have been to Belize for 4 eye care missions and to Curacao, Aruba, Antigua, Bermuda, Dominican Republic, St Croix, The Netherlands (3 times), Switzerland, Cancun, Los Cabos (three times), Mazatlan (twice), Kauai (twice), The Big Island, Oahu (three times) and Maui and have a trip planned to Puerto Vallarta.

I don't think I'll ever retire, but I may drop a day every decade and end up seeing just my favorite patients.