LOW VISION

May 16, 2021
School/Org
Pennsylvania College of Optometry
City
Corona
State
CA
I notice a tremendous emphasis on medical conditions, most that will cause vision loss in some, if not many, patients. Yet I see no speakers on how to treat those with vision loss. Optometry used to be the vision care profession. We've lost our way. Optometry seems to care about diagnosis, treatment and prevention of vision loss but not about those who have actually lost vision.

Every CE course that has speakers on treating medical condition should have a speaker on how to treat vision loss....low vision.

Richard Shuldiner, OD, FAAO
Shuldiner Low Vision Training Institute

I notice a tremendous emphasis on medical conditions, most that will cause vision loss in some, if not many, patients. Yet I see no speakers on how to treat those with vision loss. Optometry used to be the vision care profession. We've lost our way. Optometry seems to care about diagnosis, treatment and prevention of vision loss but not about those who have actually lost vision.

Every CE course that has speakers on treating medical condition should have a speaker on how to treat vision loss....low vision.

Why don’t you do a course?

Why don’t you do a course?
Thanks Mike. I've done many, many courses. I've done them on Woo University, PSS eyecare, Optometric Management Symposium and many more.
The problem I face is the CE Administrators don't feel that low vision increases their attendance so it's hard to get on programs.

Richard

I did low vision in my practice, So I always show my students what low vision steps any OD should be able to do for a patient.

"Yet I see no speakers on how to treat those with vision loss"

Dr. Shuldiner,
I concur. The foundation of optometry has been the correction, amelioration, prevention, and rehabilitation of vision loss. We started as a prevention profession. I feel that the profession has overlooked the value of low vision and rehabilation.

Reactions: Michael Barris
Low Vision:
+6.00 adds
hand held telescopes
Feinbloom telescopes
Large print books
Audio books
99 inch TV screens
CCTVs
vibrating canes
dogs
..............y'all got other ideas ??
.......that's the problem with doing Low Vision......not much else exists or has been invented in the last 50 years

Low Vision:
+6.00 adds
hand held telescopes
Feinbloom telescopes
Large print books
Audio books
99 inch TV screens
CCTVs
vibrating canes
dogs
..............y'all got other ideas ??
.......that's the problem with doing Low Vision......not much else exists or has been invented in the last 50 years
Field expanding prisms.

Thanks Mike. I've done many, many courses. I've done them on Woo University, PSS eyecare, Optometric Management Symposium and many more.
The problem I face is the CE Administrators don't feel that low vision increases their attendance so it's hard to get on programs.

Richard
Hi Rich: We indeed did have you do 2 hours on Low Vision on CEwire. The audience demands more items from their State Board requirements such as Glaucoma, Narcotics, Human Trafficking, Treatment of eye disease, and Oral lectures. I also did low vision. In fact, I was the founder of the Low Vision Center at Robert Woods Johnson University Hospital. It is true most ODs have little or no interest in Low Vision and some may refer to the few who do it most have no idea of the depth of the field.

Our program is full this year but we can circle back to it in the future. I getting many solicitations for CE from other platforms and none offer Low Vision so the perception is that there is a lack of interest indeed