Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR

Myopia Tx with Atropine – Truth and Myths
with JEFFREY S. COOPER, OD, MS, FAAO (@Jeffrey Cooper)

In this highly practical ODwire.org webinar, Jeffrey Cooper MS, OD, FAAO, FCOVD, Professor Emeritus, SUNY College of Optometry, catches us up on the latest research on atropine & myopia control.

We review the literature and have a Q&A (with special guest, @Leonard Press !) discussing how you can integrate this latest data into your own myopia control practice.

cooper-400.png

We have another discussion thread currently going on inside the site about atropine, you might want to check it out as well.

Last edited:
This program could be a game changer in your practice.

Ever wonder how some ODs get media coverage? Anyone with a myopic child is interested in learning more including medical writers and TV and radio producers.

We are fortunate to have one of the "Go to" experts share his knowledge.

There is no commercial sponsorship. Thank you Dr Cooper for sharing your knowledge for the love of education.

Attend the live presentation and feel free to ask questions. Dr Cooper will respond in real time.

This program could be a game changer in your practice.

Ever wonder how some ODs get media coverage? Anyone with a myopic child is interested in learning more including medical writers and TV and radio producers.

We are fortunate to have one of the "Go to" experts share his knowledge.

There is no commercial sponsorship. Thank you Dr Cooper for sharing your knowledge for the love of education.

Attend the live presentation and feel free to ask questions. Dr Cooper will respond in real time.

My guess is that this is going to be a pretty free-wheeling talk, it should be fun.

We're at the bleeding edge of knowledge about this topic, so what you'll be getting is a review of the science as best we understand it in 2018. And as Paul mentioned, no sponsors. This talk is purely for the community's amusement. So curse all you want :)

My guess is that this is going to be a pretty free-wheeling talk, it should be fun.

We're at the bleeding edge of knowledge about this topic, so what you'll be getting is a review of the science as best we understand it in 2018. And as Paul mentioned, no sponsors. This talk is purely for the community's amusement. So curse all you want :)

As long as we're on the topic, had something strange last week.

14 yo male with Rx OD -4.25 OS ~ -1.75 comes in to see if he still needs to take drops (atropine 0.01%) Rx'd by a pedOMD. Last exam there about 6 months ago. He had stopped drops a month ago. Manifest refraction was about -0.25 or so higher each eye.

My question is not related to efficacy of the drops. Question is: they said that Fidelis (local medicaid variant) paid for the drops from the compounding pharmacy!!?? Huh??? I can't even get them to pay for generic olopatadine instead of generic zaditor.

Anybody in NY state know if Fidelis will pay for low dose atropine for myopia control? And they don't consider this EXPERIMENTAL?

Thanks to Jeff, Len and everyone who attended last night, it was a big crowd. The talk was a lot of fun, and very practical.

I've posted the archive up here, we should continue the discussion in this thread.

Thanks again
Adam

I've posted the archive up here, we should continue the discussion in this thread.
During the editing of the Webinar there were time constraint issues.

Adam elected to eliminate my introduction and banter.

Understanding Dr Jeffrey Cooper's bio is important if you decide to take his advice.

Here is a small portion of the bio that reflects his education, awards and research qualifications...

Dr. Jeffrey Cooper is a Clinical Professor at the State University of New York, College of Optometry.

He graduated from the prestigious Pennsylvania College of Optometry in 1971, later that year he completed a special post-graduate training program in Vision Therapy.

He served as the assistant chief of the Vision Therapy Services from 1972-1978. Dr. Cooper received a Masters of Science in physiological optics. He has authored over 60 research papers that have appeared in numerous prestigious ophthalmological and optometric journals. Currently, he is on the editorial board of Binocular Vision and Eye Muscle Surgery and the Journal of Behavioral Optometry. He is a reviewer for numerous professional publications.

Dr. Cooper, under the auspices of Bausch and Lomb, served as a consultant to the USA Olympic Team. He has provided peer review for research grants submitted to the National Institute of Health/National Eye Institute. Dr. Cooper presently teaches in both the professional and residency programs – strabismus and amblyopia.He developed both the Computer Orthopter and the HTS therapy systems. Both of these treatment systems are used by more than 6,000 optometrists and ophthalmologists worldwide. He serves as a consultant to Vision 3D, and maintains practices in both Manhattan and Brooklyn.

The other part of his career was added by me ...

"I met Jeff 50 years ago while he was a student and house mate of my nephew Barry at PCO.
We have been colleagues and friends since that time and I watched he'd his amazing career in optometry.

In addition to his educational responsibilities Jeff is in active clinical practice as a partner in an ophthalmology group. His New York Park Ave office is around the corner from my former practice at 60th Street. He is in the clinical trenches not an "ivory tower" educator.

Dr Jeffery Cooper is the "Go to OD" for binoculars problems and vision therapy. About 10 years ago he got serious about myopia control and wrote papers being taken seriously by the eye care community. Jeff works with pediatric OMDs daily is aware that they are taking myopia control seriously. His goal tonight is not only to educate but to motivate"

Because of the record breaking size of the audience and time limitations, all the questions posed could not be address. Ask them again here. After listening to the presentation, if you have questions or comments place them on this topic and Dr Cooper will address them.

Because of the record breaking size of the audience and time limitations, all the questions posed could not be address. Ask them again here. After listening to the presentation, if you have questions or comments place them on this topic and Dr Cooper will address them.

I'm amazed that there are so few questions or comments on this topic.