OM website forum getting out of hand

Eric Ball

Apr 22, 2001
Visit site
Do any of you ever visit the Optometric Management web froum? There are several people on there who really make Optometry out to be the worst profession in the world! "david Mann" and "John John" are always telling preopto students and new grads to go into any other profession but this one. If people are so miserable, why do they stay ODs? Why do they become ODs in the first place?

I throw my two cents worth in there occasionally, but it seems the predominate attitude is that we are all stupid for being ODs and that we may as well just curl up and die. Or worse yet, go back and become OMDs "like we really wanted to be". Give me a break!

Yeah, that's not good.
But you know, that OM site is pretty dead.
Sometimes things don't happen there for weeks at a time.

You're right.

But you know, I think most students that are serious have a mentor or a doctor that they grew up going to. If they've been seeing that doc for years... then chances are that doc is successful. That's the view of optometry many students have... their old family eye doc.

If you're having to seach online to get an idea... then you are going to hear all kind of things good and bad.

It kind of stand to reason that we hear a lot from the complainers on these websites.

The docs with million dollar practices are too busy making money! And to classy to brag about it.

I think optometry is like anything else... it's what you make of it. There are people that are not making much of their optometry career... but that doesn't mean optometry is a bad choice.

I think I'll post a response to that OM letter to the editor thread.
That's along the same line as this topic (unhappy people complaining about optometry and making it sound worse than it is.)

I understand what you're saying about OM, Eric... it is a more open forum and it's also more freewheeling. Not well moderated and not well organized. I've lost interest in most of the discussions over there.

There is a very negative tone at the OM site. It's not people calling for change like we have here -- it's just negative.

The right to an opinion is the essence of the Internet Websites

Hi Eric:

I understand your frustation but in a democracy everyone should be given the opportunity to voice their opinion. Opposing intelligent voices should negate the nonsense.

Kudos to Neil Gailmard, Optometric.com Administrator for not using his delete button.

Paul

I agree, but my plea is too have more of those reasonable voices speak up rather than allow only negative views of Optometry to prevail. For an open forum to continue, opinions must be able to be expressed. I would never suggest censoring any of these guys, but it is just very imbalanced by very vocal negativity. If anyone bothers to read that site, they are only getting a skewed view of our profession.

That's all.

My concern

If the Optometric.com website is Public, as is this discussion, not only ODs but individuals who really do not understand the issues can view the topic. It certainly paints a negative optometric picture.

How about inviting these two nay sayers on to www.seniordoc.org so that we may determine their issues. I think we can offer some viable alternatives.

optometry as a profession

I think that if you asked your friends who are lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc. whether they would like their kids to enter that profession, you would be surprised as to the numbers who would reply negatively

I'm uncertain if the OM Forum is Private. I notice there is an Optician Student as well as discontent Medical Student who would like to become an Optometry Student, on the OM web site. Neither was acceptable to be on our seniordoc.org private forums.

There are ODs who are VSP functionaries, who I am certain are seniordoc.org members. You can be certain our members rather strong opinions are getting back to VSP.

I look forward to the Review of Optometry article about VSP to see if the writers have the control of the article. Will the RO Marketing people press to temper the reporting, so as not to offend. Stay tuned!

Let's continue this discussion in the Private Forum.

;)

I have been on the OM website and have posted positive comments in support of optometry (I'm sure you've noticed this Eric), so with you and me, we cancel out their negative comments.

I have had several students who have contacted me directly wanting another view about our profession (from OM and Optcom). I did my best to give it a positive spin.

:D