optometric scholarships

I am a practicing optometrist in Florida.
We have a foundation called The Olive Tree Foundation for Education, 501-c , that provides optometry grants to economically disadvantage college students in Peru South America.

We believe that through education we can erradicate poverty and create a better economy for 3 world countries.

We ask for support in our cause and guidance to find sources of founds.

Thank you for your consideration

William
772 763 4488

More information needed

Do you have a web site? Where do Peru Optometry students attend college?

Please supply some details why people should support this cause.

optometry scholarships

thank you for your response

The school in Peru is Escuela Superior Privada de Optometria, which has been in existence for 25 years. The school web site in Peru is www.optometriaperu.com.

Our foundation provides scholarships to these students in Peru so that they can complete the 3 years Optometric program.
The total cost to become an Optometrist in Peru for the 3 year program is 2400 american dollars.
We are currently sponsoring 5 students in Peru and we are looking for private founds in the United States, to provide the scholarships , which are life changing opportunities for this students.

I will try to attach info on our Foundation

Thank you for consideration,

Dr. William Olivos
772 763 4488

Additional Information

I was requested to place this material on to this topic...

"The National Heritage Foundation presents…

THE OLIVE TREE FOUNDATION FOR EDUCATION

(a 501C not-for-profit organization)(tax identification number: 582085236)

“Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.”
-Proverbs 4:13 (Holy Bible, King James Version)

The objective of this foundation is to provide scholarships for allied health professions to underprivileged high school graduates in Peru and other Latin American countries. The importance of post-high school education is paramount for the development of job security and family stability in today’s unequal opportunity environment in third-world countries. Services provided by trained professionals in the fields of eyecare and nursing have a very positive impact on the public health of the predominantly disadvantaged populations of third-world countries, such as Peru.
This foundation offers scholarships to prospective students of optometry and nursing, who have proven to be outstanding academicians in high school, yet lack the financial means to pursue the higher education necessary in order to achieve their professional goals.

The cities of Lima, Trujillo, and Arequipa, Peru will be targeted first for the initial development of this project. The proper selection of candidates and the prompt distribution of funds for the scholarships will be ensured personally by the founders of the Olive Tree Foundation for Education via direct communication with the deans and students of the institutions involved.
The Olive Tree Foundation for Education will renew scholarships to students on a quarterly basis, only after they have met strict requirements established by the foundation. Such requirements will include the maintenance of a minimal grade-point average, regular attendance, volunteer work for the community and professional conduct.

To insure impartiality in the selection of scholarship recipients, the screening, interviewing and final decisions will be made by the founders of the foundation, namely Dr. William A. Olivos and Susan L. Olivos, M.Ed..

The olive tree is a significant Biblical symbol. Its branch represents peace. Its oil has multiple uses as well as healing properties. Its fruit is a source of nourishment. When properly planted and cared for, the olive tree will flourish and provide fruit for those in need of it, who in turn can plant their own olive trees, thus perpetuating its seed.

We believe that education is like an olive tree, for it is man’s divine right to acquire knowledge and use it for the progress, advancement and prosperity of the human race.
When used wisely, as our Creator intended, education can bring peace, nourishment and healing to an impoverished society.

-Susan Olivos

To donate to the Olive Tree Foundation for Education, make your check out to
The National Heritage Foundation. (On the memo section specify
‘The Olive Tree Foundation for Education’). Kindly send your check to:

Dr. William Olivos, 601 NW Waverly Cir.,
Port St. Lucie, FL 34983

Email: fiveolivetrees@aol.com
Phone: 772-336-2315

Saludos, soy estudiante de la escuela de optometria (ESPOO).
Me parece un gran incentivo para estudiantes con excelente promedio academico y escasos recursos.

Last edited:
charlie mendieta leiva said:
Saludos, soy estudiante de la escuela de optometria (ESPOO).
Me parece un gran incentivo para estudiantes con excelente promedio academico y escasos recursos.

A comienzos del mes se han dado una serie de problemas en el instituto, alumnos del sexto ciclo nos informaron que estudiantes con bajo promedio y a pesar de que si cuentan con recursos economicos tienen beca, no me parece se use a la fundacion con estos fines, habiendo gente que realmente lo necesita.

Un caso en particular es de la alumna Erika Zuñiga Herrera con quien comparto clases, tiene beca otorgada por la fundacion ;informacion que me dio el delegado estudiantil, el señor Herrera (tio de la alumna) diciendo que la alumna por tener buenas calificaciones y escasos recursos fue nombrada por el mismo para la beca de la fundacion. Por el contrario, esta alumna tiene bajas notas en sus cursos, copia en los examenes y en lo economico no se si tiene bajos recursos, pero cada dia se compra sandwich y gaseosa en la cafeteria.

Espero se tomen en cuenta mis palabras, considero que mis demas compañeros tambien estan en desacuerdo.

gracias

Ouch. Those are some pretty strong words. I'll translate in a bit...Dr. Olivos, you might want to weigh in on this issue...

Hello, I'm a student at the school of optometry. This program seems like a great incentive for students who are above average academically but have scant financial resources.

At the beginning of the month a series of problems at the institute have come to light. Students of the sixth cycle (not sure what that is) who are below average academically and do have enough money are receiving grants. This does not seem to me what the use of the foundation is, given that there are people who actually need the money.

One particular example is a student named Erika Zuniga Herrera, whom I share classes with. She has a scholarship from the foundation. I have been told (hearsay and rumors, possibly?) that her uncle stated that she had good grades and scant resources and was thus given a scholarship. On the contrary, this student gets bad grades, copies on tests, and seems to have money, given that she buys her lunch (a sandwich and soda) every day in the cafeteria.

I hope that you take my words into account. I consider my classmates in agreement with me on this issue.

This sounds like sour grapes, given that one specific student is mentioned and it involves hearsay. I thought I would translate to give everyone a chance to see what Dr. Olivos is responding to.