Optometrists score another win - The Advocate

Can anyone describe the laser procedures to me? The article didn't go into it.

Are these particularly complicated? Or is it something you can pick up with a few dozen hours of CE/training?

Can anyone describe the laser procedures to me? The article didn't go into it.

Are these particularly complicated? Or is it something you can pick up with a few dozen hours of CE/training?

Really less than that. Things like YAG and PIs are really relatively simple with easily managed complications that you can preempt with meds beforehand.

They must have given up quite a bit because I thought they were getting much more increased scope than they are. It is just insane how medicine can control their own destiny but other professions like optometry can't control their own. With all the training we get our scopes of practice are laughable. I remember one OMD chuckling and telling me he couldn't believe we weren't allowed to to YAGs and PIs because if you know how to use a slit lamp you are good to go. I bet an OD grad knows how to use a slit lamp 100x better than a first year OMD resident. I've seen first year residents and it isn't pretty.

What's the reimbursement for YAG? How much does the equipment cost? Ok, good for those OD's.

I got to do a YAG on a patient. OMD said, sit down and aim these two (HeNe) beams first (past the IOL) and then fire a few times.

they tell you how to do it on youtube!

Jamie

I would love to do this! Perhaps we require 25 OMD supervised YAGs with follow up for global and then you are free to do them on your own.

What's the reimbursement for YAG? How much does the equipment cost? Ok, good for those OD's.

I got to do a YAG on a patient. OMD said, sit down and aim these two (HeNe) beams first (past the IOL) and then fire a few times.

they tell you how to do it on youtube!

Jamie

The reimbursement is roughly $320 here in Corpus Christi.

As for cost, take your pick: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370968301349?lpid=82

My wife trained rhesus monkeys to perform a visual task as part of her research. I saw the monkey perform the task, and it was about as difficult as aiming a YAG.

And that's a dumb monkey. I think you could train any of the Great Apes do to a YAG in about 2 days if there were juice boxes on the line.

Sent from the ODwire.org Mobile App

My wife trained rhesus monkeys to perform a visual task as part of her research. I saw the monkey perform the task, and it was about as difficult as aiming a YAG.

And that's a dumb monkey. I think you could train any of the Great Apes do to a YAG in about 2 days if there were juice boxes on the line.

And yet I can't train some ODs to bill properly.