Patient claims blindness due to alleged misdiagnosis - The Louisiana Record

Not knowing the details of this case, one thing I find interesting is that the patient is suing the OD, not the MD who performed the surgery. (I thought the usual sequence was "sue 'em all and let the jury sort it out"?)

Yeah, that's confusing to me as well. She underwent surgery and as a result went blind. But it's the OD that caused the blindness? Apparently she didn't go blind between May and December 2nd, but did immediately after the surgery on December 9th. Would be enlightening to have more details.

Yeah, that's confusing to me as well. She underwent surgery and as a result went blind. But it's the OD that caused the blindness? Apparently she didn't go blind between May and December 2nd, but did immediately after the surgery on December 9th. Would be enlightening to have more details.
Depends on what the actual condition was, the disease she actually had. This would be an interesting case study if we could get the information. Too bad this smears an OD name with out having any actual information to make an informed decision.

Depends on what the actual condition was, the disease she actually had. This would be an interesting case study if we could get the information. Too bad this smears an OD name with out having any actual information to make an informed decision.

Yeah, i have a problem with the press publishing names in these types of suits, too.

ODwire is private, and we're all professionals here anyway, many (most?) will be dragged into a legal action sometime in their professional lives. So we know it comes with the territory. But the lay public may not be so understanding....

Maybe what happened was that the patient thinks the OD missed something and the OMD did the best that he/she could do under the circumstances. For example if an OD misses a large retinal detachment and much later the detachment was discovered by an OMD and the patient had retinal surgery with an OMD but the visual outcome was bad because it was not treated in a timely manner the patient may decide to sue the OD but not the MD.