Dec 28, 2000
www.odwire.org
School/Org
Columbia University / PCO
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
I received this video from my great nephew David Farkas a Leica Camera Representative. For those, where photography is serious a hobby this might be of interest.

78bdec60-c1be-4fc1-8b0f-c02e4f8f6826.png

New Video: Thoughts on the New Leica M10 Monochrom

Leica expert David Farkas explains the advantages of monochrome sensors versus converting from color to black and white, then delves into details about the new M10 Monochrom.

Editor's note: I did not understand a word of the presentation . ODwire.org has no relationship with Leica Camera.

Last edited:
I received this communication from Dale Farkas founder of Dale laboratories. He is David's proud father as well as a photography expert and enthusiasts...

Hi Paul,

I can see why you thought the video you saw was over your head. It was really for the Leica “techies”; not “normal” photographers.

The video that should be posted is at .

This one has the pictures, which are pretty awe inspiring, after David’s real English description of the camera. The photos start about four minutes into the video.

I think your readers would appreciate this video more than the other, earlier one. Believe-it-or-not this camera makes it pretty easy to get great shots. (Though maybe not at David’s level, at least better than your OD photographers would normally get with any other cameras or cell phones.)

Please keep in mind that this is a very specialized Black & White camera. Leica also has other cameras that do color and are perfect for some of your ODs who are interested in photography. Please visit LeicaStoreMiami.com for options.
Thanks again for plugging David and his efforts.

Best regards,

Dale

Anyone into Black and White photography wish to comment.

I'm clueless.

The first paragraph has the key relevance to the current thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_printing#Color_separation_process

Typically color separation is the responsibility of the color separator. This includes cleaning up the file to make it print ready and creating a proof for the prepress approval process. The process of color separation starts by separating the original artwork into red, green, and blue components (for example by a digital scanner). Before digital imaging was developed, the traditional method of doing this was to photograph the image three times, using a filter for each color. However this is achieved, the desired result is three grayscale images, which represent the red, green, and blue (RGB) components of the original image.

The next step is to invert each of these separations. When a negative image of the red component is produced, the resulting image represents the cyan component of the image. Likewise, negatives are produced of the green and blue components to produce magenta and yellow separations, respectively. This is done because cyan, magenta, and yellow are subtractive primaries which each represent two of the three additive primaries (RGB) after one additive primary has been subtracted from white light.

Cyan [C], magenta [M], and yellow [Y] are the three basic colors used for color reproduction. When these three colors are variously used in printing, the result should be a reasonable reproduction of the original, but in practice this is not the case. Due to limitations in the inks, the darker colors are dirty and muddied. To resolve this, a black separation is also created, which improves the shadow and contrast of the image. Numerous techniques exist to derive this black separation from the original image; these include grey component replacement, under color removal, and under color addition. This printing technique is referred to as CMYK (the "K" stands for key, a traditional word for the black printing plate).

Today's digital printing methods do not have the restriction of a single color space that traditional CMYK processes do. Many presses can print from files that were ripped with images using either RGB or CMYK modes. The color reproduction abilities of a particular color space can vary; the process of obtaining accurate colors within a color model is called color matching.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/stamp-collectors/transcontinental-railroad-box-set-S_570429

Note the CMYK and gold separations within the red envelope in the lower left-hand section of the diagram below.

570429-Z0.jpg

570404-Z0.jpg

Last edited: