School/Org
UC Berkeley School of Optometry
City
Corona
State
CA
Off the newswire from World Net Daily
Monday, Oct. 15, 2007
'Mom' and 'Dad' Banished by California - Schwarzenegger Signs Law Outlawing Terms Percieved as Negative to Gays.

"Mom and Dad" as well as "husband and wife" have been banned from California schools under a bill signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who with his signature also ordered public schools to allow boys to use girls restrooms and locker rooms, and vice versa, if they choose.

"We are shocked and appalled that the governor has blatantly attacked traditional family values in California," said Karen England, executive director of Capital Resource institute.

"With this decision, Gov. Schwarzenegger has told parents that their values are irrelevant. Many parents will have no choice but to pull their children out of the public schools that have now become sexualized indoctrination centers."......

The bills signed by Schwarzenegger include SB777, which bans anything in public schools that could be interpreted as negative toward homosexuality, bisexuality, and other alternative lifestyle choices.

There are no similar protections for students with traditional or conservative lifestyles and beliefs, however......

Also signed was AB394, which targets parents and teachers for such indoctrination through "anti-harassment" training, CCF said. Schwarzenegger had vetoed almost identical provisions a year ago, saying existing state law already provided penalties for discrimination. Etc.

What do you think Optometry about this turn of events?

Addendum: I looked at a conservative legislative analyst's review of the ramifications of this bill SB777 and its companion AB394 and came away with these interpretations. These new laws ban any text, reference, or teaching aid that portrays marriage as only betweeen a man and a woman, materials that say people are born male or female (and not in between), sources that fail to include a variety of transsexual, bisexual, and homosexual historical figures, and sex education materials that fail to offer the option of sex changes. Also, such cultural things, like the homecoming queen can't be limited only to females.

Nobody has commented so far. California may be the lunatic fringe, but you can rest assured these measures are coming to a blue state near you. At the very least, millions of dollars of good textbooks are going to have to be replaced. This is money that could have gone for something else, like for doctors handling Medi-Cal patients who haven't had a raise in 12 years. Does anybody care?

Last edited:
No one with half a brain would think that a law that "bans anything in public schools that could be interpreted as negative toward homosexuality, bisexuality, and other alternative lifestyle choices." would mean that you can't mention "mom and dad" or "husband and wife" in school texts. These aren't negative images to gay or straight folks. They don't promote hate.

It's a law that keeps government subsidized establishments from teaching intolerance. And if you really really really think you can get away with wandering into the girls locker room because the governor "ordered public schools to allow boys to use girls restrooms and locker rooms, and vice versa, if they choose", then enjoy your week long suspension from school.

More sky-is-falling drivel. :rolleyes:

This could be a tempest in a tea pot issue. I've seen many issues get passed in this state legislature that promptly get ignored. There was a health screening measure passed a number of years ago that was to mandate vision screenings prior to entering schools that never got off the ground. For such a program to get off the ground requires funding and an implementing bureaucracy to come into being.

The ultra-politically correct textbooks this law mandates don't exist yet. It might take four or five years for the books to appear in the classroom. The lack of reaction to this law makes me think the dung won't hit the fan until Johnny and Janey actually bring home the radical new reformulation of the family in these yet to be conceived books.

The bathroom issue has to do with transsexuals, a group who's viewpoint we are not used to thinking about. If a student says, "I think I'm transsexual, and don't feel comfortable being in the boys bathroom, but feel better being in the girls bathroom." that student's wishes are supposed to be complied with according to this law. To not do so would constitute illegal discrimination under this new law.

I think most straights are willing to tolerate homosexuals these days, but the lobbying groups seem to be after much more than tolerance. They want a stamp of approval, and the power to punish anyone who publically disapproves of their radical agenda.

Gary R. Bell said:
What do you think Optometry about this turn of events?
...I think that Ahhhnold must have gottten hit in the head with one of those weights. Anybody remember his statement about how he'd psych out his opponents in "Pumping Iron"? -- give them a great night in bed.....rent the movie (or, NOT!).

"Newspeak" is here ("the only language in the world whose vocabulary gets smaller every year"). George Orwell was right -- just a few decades off in his projection of WHEN. Thoughtcrimes next!

I feel sorry for all our children and grandchildren....:( :mad: :(

No one with half a brain would think that a law that "bans anything in public schools that could be interpreted as negative toward homosexuality, bisexuality, and other alternative lifestyle choices." would mean that you can't mention "mom and dad" or "husband and wife" in school texts. These aren't negative images to gay or straight folks. They don't promote hate.

It's a law that keeps government subsidized establishments from teaching intolerance. And if you really really really think you can get away with wandering into the girls locker room because the governor "ordered public schools to allow boys to use girls restrooms and locker rooms, and vice versa, if they choose", then enjoy your week long suspension from school.

More sky-is-falling drivel. :rolleyes:

Except for the fact that what one generation tolerates, the next is much more likely to embrace.

Tolerate what? Homosexuality?

Really Mike, thats what you're going with?

No. How about the State deciding what's best for everybody without considering everyone's point of view.

Where's the tolerance for the conservative view that doesn't think schools or government should be deciding what's best for my kids to hear, say or think (outside of actual academic subjects)? OH! That's right. Tolerance doesn't include conservative ideas or values!

How 'bout they stick to teaching academics, and leave the social education to their parents? Oh right! They've largely failed to teach academic subjects, so lets make sure they can claim success in some other arena.

Don't know about you, but I don't want the government or the schools raising my children, thank you very much, whether its No Child Left Behind from the current administration or the yahoo school boards back east (wish I could remember where) handing out BC pills and condoms to kids as young as middle school (6th graders!) without parental notification.

Clear enough for you?

Its a game the left has mastered. Incremental changes, and wait for the next generation to roll with it.

Last edited:
Really Mike, thats what you're going with?

No. How about the State deciding what's best for everybody without considering everyone's point of view.

Where's the tolerance for the conservative view that doesn't think schools or government should be deciding what's best for my kids to hear, say or think (outside of actual academic subjects)? OH! That's right. Tolerance doesn't include conservative ideas or values!

How 'bout they stick to teaching academics, and leave the social education to their parents? Oh right! They've largely failed to teach academic subjects, so lets make sure they can claim success in some other arena.

Don't know about you, but I don't want the government or the schools raising my children, thank you very much, whether its No Child Left Behind from the current administration or the yahoo school boards back east (wish I could remember where) handing out BC pills and condoms to kids as young as middle school (6th graders!) without parental notification.

Its a game the left has mastered. Incremental changes, and wait for the next generation to roll with it.

You think trying to promote tolerance for others different than yourself is somehow an affront to your religious or moral values? Tolerance is me having to accept that your views are different than my own and I have to acknowledge that it doesn't necessarily make you wrong just because I think you are. Conservatives really struggle with that differentiation.

If a conservative view is that gays are inferior or that blacks shouldn't be allowed to use the same drinking fountain as whites, then it has no place being promoted in schools.

Schools don't raise your children for you, they just don't allow them to hate others publicly in their government-funded public building.

Clear enough for you?

You think trying to promote tolerance for others different than yourself is somehow an affront to your religious or moral values? Tolerance is me having to accept that your views are different than my own and I have to acknowledge that it doesn't necessarily make you wrong just because I think you are. Conservatives really struggle with that differentiation.

If a conservative view is that gays are inferior or that blacks shouldn't be allowed to use the same drinking fountain as whites, then it has no place being promoted in schools.

Schools don't raise your children for you, they just don't allow them to hate others publicly in their government-funded public building.

Clear enough for you?

Crystal clear. Thanks for revealing yourself, Mike.

I don't think African Americans (who says blacks - come on), gays or anyone else is inferior. Nor does any conservative I know.

I just don't think anyone deserves special protection under the law. We all deserve EQUAL protection.

Schools do allow and promote hatred of "some" groups. Why else was my son told he couldn't speak about Jesus at Christmas because he might offend someone? (The context was what is important about the holidays for you) But hey Kwanzaa and [SIZE=-1]Hanukkah are just fine. I think they should all be fine.

Liberals think tolerance is what they say it is, and "screw you" if you don't agree, "we'll just get some idiot judge from the 9th circuit court to tell you we're right".

Time and again, they do.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't think anyone deserves special protection under the law. We all deserve EQUAL protection.

100% Agreed. I argue this point all the time with one of my more liberal friends about how wretched affirmative action is or being fined in the NFL for not interviewing a black coach. Then being ostracized for only interviewing one "because you have to."

Schools do allow and promote hatred of "some" groups. Why else was my son told he couldn't speak about Jesus at Christmas because he might offend someone? (The context was what is important about the holidays for you) But hey Kwanzaa and [SIZE=-1]Hanukkah are just fine. I think they should all be fine.[/SIZE]

Without knowing the context of his presentation, it would be difficult to speculate why. Sensitivities run high in public schools. Just look at this thread.