Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Real Cost of Recycled Spectacles. Optom Vis Sci. 2012 Feb 9; Authors: Wilson DA, Cronjé S, Frick K, Holden BA Abstract PURPOSE.: Many programs aimed at mitigating the problem of uncorrected refractive error and the resulting avoidable blindness use recycled (donated) spectacles as a seemingly inexpensive expedient. This article analyses the costs and benefits of recycled spectacles and compares them with alternative methodologies. Although well intentioned, it is argued that recycled spectacles will neither suit many of those affected by uncorrected refractive error nor provide a cost saving solution to the problem. Although this is not the first argument against the use of recycled spectacles, there has been no accurate costing of their delivery. This article assesses the real cost of delivery of recycled spectacles. METHODS.: The useable quantity of recycled spectacles was determined by examining two separate batches of donated spectacles. These data were used in the calculation of the cost of delivery. The metric used for comparison was only cost (i.e., it was a cost minimization analysis) because it was deemed that recycled spectacles and ready-made spectacles were the same mode of correction fundamentally. RESULTS.: Only 7% of the 275 recycled spectacles analyzed were suitable for use. The relatively small proportion of useable spectacles contributed to the high societal cost of delivering recycled spectacles, which was found to be U.S.$20.49, more than twice the cost of supplying ready-made spectacles. CONCLUSIONS.: Recycled spectacles are not a cost-saving method of correcting refractive error and should be discouraged as a strategy for eliminating uncorrected refractive error in developing countries. PMID: 22327796 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

More...

Really interesting! I guess there is also a hidden cost to the earth in carbon footprint when a pair is disposed of and a new one manufactured versus a donated pair being used.

I figured that out long ago. I only use new glasses on my mission trips. Plus, new glasses seem so much better to the patients.

I'm headed on my 10th mission trip in two weeks. We've used donated eyewear on each of the trips. Most of our eyewear comes from a church that has trained volunteers to read/clean/repair/sort the eyewear and they deliver them to us grouped by power, gender, and kids/adults. The estimate they can use about 10-15% of what is donated to supply mission teams with eyewear, so it's true that great numbers of eyewear are disposed of as non-usuable.

However, this is where I think the study is flawed. In many situations, there is no financial cost to recycling the eyeglasses from a staffing perspective and this is often done by volunteers, so nix that 'cost'.

And they write "The relatively small proportion of useable spectacles contributed to the high societal cost of delivering recycled spectacles, which was found to be U.S.$20.49, more than twice the cost of supplying ready-made spectacles"

This is ludicrous. They must be looking at supplying ready made glasses here in the US and then taking them on mission trips, because in the missions I go on, and like most missions, you can't make anything on site. So, for this to make sense, I would need to take as many pairs as I currently do, but take newly made eyewear that someone has to purchase. Right now, the eyeglasses we use are donated, serviced by volunteers, delivered by volunteers - there is no cost. However, using their conclusion paying for eyeglasses would be cheaper than free ones - I don't think so.

Brad Middaugh

My experience is more similar to Brad's.

No on site production possible & if I'm not handing the patient a pair of glasses before they leave the testing site, odds are they'll never get them. Same with meds.

My glasses usually are transported for free. Each member of the team takes 2 large suitcases filled with supplies on each trip (presonal items are limited to your carry-on bag). Any unused glasses are left for the next team to use or for my return visit.