Jul 27, 2001
Visit site
School/Org
Ohio State University College of Optometry
City
Boise
State
Id
The recent earthquake-tsunami disaster can be better understood by reading Simon Winchesters excellent accont of the Krakatoa eruption and resulting tsunami in 1883. A wall of water over 100 ft. high was generated which caused massive destruction and the eruption was heard 1500 miles away.
I recommend all of Mr. Winchester's books.

one of our own affected

I note in toady's NZ Herald that an 'optician' by the name Irawan lost his whole practice in these terrible Tsunami's. The loss of life is terrible.
Does anyone on SD know Irawan?
see link
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=9005018

Interstingly we had a significant quake between NZ and Tsamania on 24/12 - 8.1 on teh Richter scale and if one looks at the maps it was basically at the one end of the same fault....
http://www.geonet.org.nz/recent_quakes.html

also take a look at why they call NZ the 'shaky isles'! one can hardly see NZ for all the 'dots' on the map!
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/general/seismicity/australia.html

There are some amazing resources on this issue and one also noting that the earth wobbled, our days may be milliseconds shorter and the axis of rotation of earth may have changed.

Our hearts go out to all those affected. It could just as well have been LA, Frisco or NZ.....and no doubt in time sone of us will get another big one!

Positive optometric action!

This e mail arrived from member Jack Runninger who wrote...

"Thought you might be interested in this email in regard his Sri Lanka volunteering from Australian Dr. Damien Smith, who as most of you know was president of the World Council of Optometrists. He also tells me he will be unable to attend SECO this year.

Subj: Thank your mother for the rabbits.
Date: 2/1/05 2:50:51 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: RunningerJ@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Jack,

Your book arrived in today's mail and I am already chuckling at what I have read as I just leaf through the pages. It looks great, and I must say I am impressed by its size - such prodigious output.

With respect to the subject title of this email, I thought I would share with you a traditional
Australian greeting/farewell. It signifies absolutely nothing!

Thank you for sending the book, and for the great enjoyment I am to get from reading it. Your personal inscription adds such value to receiving and enjoying it.

I leave for Sri Lanka tomorrow for a week of needs assessment for vision care to Tsunami victims in the northeast of the island. I have been invited to help by the major INGO working with the Tamil population, and I will be assessing makeshift camps holding 850,000 displaced persons. The camps are
'administered' by the Sri Lankan NGO, Red Cross and Medicins sans Frontiers, so I will be setting up some novel but hopefully long term partnerships with
important global organisations. I believe that this will be the first sanctioned Tsunami Aid program by Optometry where our teams are fully supported in-country by infrastructure provided by other NGOs.

On my return, I will invite Brien Holden's organisations to provide the operations side
because he has resources but no place to utilise them.

Again, thanks for the book.

Best wishes,

Damien"