Wavefront optics emerging as new tool for measuring and correcting vision - Medical Xpress

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Interesting isn't it? Except if you are a patient who needs this type of correction today, there are very few choices....perhaps only one choice that I am aware of. We introduced wavefront-guided corrections to our scleral lenses in early 2011, when nobody seemed interested. Now suddenly they are. When I attended ARVO in 2012, most of the wavefront gurus had moved on to other uses for adaptive optics, such as in ophthalmic instruments.

The results are simply phenomenal. As my keratoconus patient from the UK said last week: astounding, really. Of course we've perfected the techniques and broadened the range of things we can successfully treat since the beginning of 2011. We are still making progress and finding newer and better ways of using wavefront information, while incorporating other complimentary technologies.

Of course this is an expensive and tedious process because it is so individualized and the degree of precision necessary exceeds anything the contact lens industry has experienced heretofore. However, we have worked very hard to adapt it to current manufacturing standards and to keep the file sizes manageable.

Dr. G.
www.laserfitlens.com

Last edited:
Interesting isn't it? Except if you are a patient who needs this type of correction today, there are very few choices....perhaps only one choice that I am aware of. We introduced wavefront-guided corrections to our scleral lenses in early 2011, when nobody seemed interested. Now suddenly they are. When I attended ARVO in 2012, most of the wavefront gurus had moved on to other uses for adaptive optics, such as in ophthalmic instruments.

The results are simply phenomenal. As my keratoconus patient from the UK said last week: astounding, really. Of course we've perfected the techniques and broadened the range of things we can successfully treat since the beginning of 2011. We are still making progress and finding newer and better ways of using wavefront information, while incorporating other complimentary technologies.

Of course this is an expensive and tedious process because it is so individualized and the degree of precision necessary exceeds anything the contact lens industry has experienced heretofore. However, we have worked very hard to adapt it to current manufacturing standards and to keep the file sizes manageable.

Dr. G.
www.laserfitlens.com

Greg -- why do you think it has taken so long for lens companies to pick it up? Just cost?

Greg -- why do you think it has taken so long for lens companies to pick it up? Just cost?

There was a manufacturer, Opthonix, that sold an aberrometer and custom eye glass lenses made from the information obtained by the aberrometer. Patients that had many high order aberrations appreciated the vision from those lenses...Izon lenses. Cost wasn't much higher than other high-end progressives

About 2 years ago they closed down. Claimed they couldn't secure more money through their venture capitalists.

I don't know if it is profitable, but the lenses worked for those with high aberrations.

There was a manufacturer, Opthonix, that sold an aberrometer and custom eye glass lenses made from the information obtained by the aberrometer. Patients that had many high order aberrations appreciated the vision from those lenses...Izon lenses. Cost wasn't much higher than other high-end progressives

About 2 years ago they closed down. Claimed they couldn't secure more money through their venture capitalists.

I don't know if it is profitable, but the lenses worked for those with high aberrations.

I wonder if they held any patents or IP that prevented other entrants?

My understanding is that IZon lenses really were not that special. The abberometer essentially provided a best fit sphero-cylindrical refraction or Rx to the 1/100ths of a diopter, for which pretty much any free form lens could be applied.

I don't think it is that simple. I find it ironic that the recent articles and papers are about wavefront-guided scleral lenses, when just a few years ago the same authors were looking at only soft lenses as the vehicle. If you search the early literature, it is replete with phrases such as contact lenses lack the required stability to provide a good platform. Just like the rest of us, researchers naturally go where the money goes, and at the time it was LASIK. Much of the applied wavefront research went to the refractive surgery market. In fact, AMO bought one of the premier wavefront sensing companies, Wavefront Sciences. I almost bought one of their aberrometers when they were still a private company.

At the time only a couple of us recognized the potential of scleral lenses as being wavefront optics platforms. I hesitate to put myself in the same sentence as Perry Rosenthal, but he was the other one. I've literally been laughed at when I suggested to a company that they pursue wavefront-guided scleral lenses.

Scleral lenses have only recently come into prominence. I could go on, but I'll stop here.

I think we will see more "wave front guided spectacle lenses" in the future.

Look at Lenscrafters...They came up with "Accufit" for the measuring of the specs.
They're using the Nidek 5100 with OPD aberrometer and coining the term "AccuExam".
I'm fairly confident this will lead to the "AccuLens" which is only available at LC.

The "Hype" should be incredible, then we'll see a significant interest in "Wave front lenses".

My understanding is that IZon lenses really were not that special. The abberometer essentially provided a best fit sphero-cylindrical refraction or Rx to the 1/100ths of a diopter, for which pretty much any free form lens could be applied.

I believe that is correct. Izon did have plans for contact lenses, but scrapped them early on. I don't know why, but could have been patent issues. I think that once Izon figured out they couldn't really do much with single vision lenses, they went into the freeform progressive lens market where companies 100 times their size reigned supreme.

When I moved here about 30 years ago, I had a neighbor who was a visionary. He was firm believer in the future of HDTV. He took me to the NAB convention in Dallas where Sony had set up the world's first HDTV production suite so you could see a production from start to finish and I got to see my first HDTV monitor. It was awesome. This was in the mid- to late 1980's. He put everything he had in launching his own HDTV production company. Unfortunately, he was just too far ahead of the market and lost a bundle.

I think there might be an analogy there. Not sure that Izon's product was good enough, but they did have the right idea....just at the wrong time.

I think we will see more "wave front guided spectacle lenses" in the future.

Look at Lenscrafters...They came up with "Accufit" for the measuring of the specs.
They're using the Nidek 5100 with OPD aberrometer and coining the term "AccuExam".
I'm fairly confident this will lead to the "AccuLens" which is only available at LC.

The "Hype" should be incredible, then we'll see a significant interest in "Wave front lenses".

I think we may see the term wavefront more in the future, but it's a difficult concept for the public to understand. We know that registration error is the reason wavefront corrections don't work with spectacles. How long do you think it will be before the new standard will no longer be 20/20 but 20/10?

The other major stumbling block is the demand side from OD's, who don't have aberrometers.

Somebody at B&L was a visionary in wavefront guided contact lenses because they do have some patents having to do with large scale manufacturing of individualized lenses....

The other major stumbling block is the demand side from OD's, who don't have aberrometers.

That's where Opthonix was smart.

I was sold the Izon Aberrometer for about $10k, but was given about $4k in "coupons" to buy their Izon lenses.
This aberrometer is one of the best autorefractors I've owned, its networked to all the exam rooms and has a nice presentation of the HOA using the basic stop light...Green-Yellow-Red colors.

When Izon went broke, I received emails and calls from Zeiss to buy their aberrometer for around $30-40k, so I could prescribe their "Wavefront" lenses.

That's where Opthonix was smart.

I was sold the Izon Aberrometer for about $10k, but was given about $4k in "coupons" to buy their Izon lenses.
This aberrometer is one of the best autorefractors I've owned, its networked to all the exam rooms and has a nice presentation of the HOA using the basic stop light...Green-Yellow-Red colors.

When Izon went broke, I received emails and calls from Zeiss to buy their aberrometer for around $30-40k, so I could prescribe their "Wavefront" lenses.

That's interesting to hear. My take on the Izon aberrometer was that it was a "toy." The aberrometer I currently have provides data up through the 8th zernike order. I've used it every day since 2006. Back then it was one of the few - and maybe the only one I could buy without purchasing an excimer laser.

That's interesting to hear. My take on the Izon aberrometer was that it was a "toy." The aberrometer I currently have provides data up through the 8th zernike order. I've used it every day since 2006.

It might be a toy. It's the only aberrometer I've ever owned. It seems to be a great autorefractor, the axis is usually dead on, and occasionally over minus of the cyl.,

I have no idea if it accurately measured the HOA, but their lenses made a subjective difference to those patients it flagged with significant HOA's. I don't know what order of zernike it was good for.

You've had much more experience with wavefront optics than most of us...

Other than subjective responses of the patient....how do we know how much "zernike order" data it needs to measure for best vision? ie...if you had an aberrometer that provides data to the 10th zernike order, or conversely..only to the 6th zernike order...would the patient be able to tell the difference?

TIA

It might be a toy. It's the only aberrometer I've ever owned. It seems to be a great autorefractor, the axis is usually dead on, and occasionally over minus of the cyl.,

I have no idea if it accurately measured the HOA, but their lenses made a subjective difference to those patients it flagged with significant HOA's. I don't know what order of zernike it was good for.

You've had much more experience with wavefront optics than most of us...

Other than subjective responses of the patient....how do we know how much "zernike order" data it needs to measure for best vision? ie...if you had an aberrometer that provides data to the 10th zernike order, or conversely..only to the 6th zernike order...would the patient be able to tell the difference?

TIA

That's a very good question. It depends on the level of higher orders. I've read some papers suggesting that up to 16 orders or so were necessary to accurately describe a highly aberrated eye. This is the group I am routinely treating, and why I went after wavefront in the first place: they needed it. Probably for the average person, up to 4 would probably suffice (spherical aberration is a fourth order).

Reactions: Larry Greidinger
(spherical aberration is a fourth order).

The Izon would display Coma, Trefoil and Spherical HOA's.
Does that mean it measures at least to the 4th Zernike?

The Izon would display Coma, Trefoil and Spherical HOA's.
Does that mean it measures at least to the 4th Zernike?

Yes. You're good to go!

The output of my aberrometer is 44 lines, or 44 separate zernike aberrations. Of course the great thing about zernikes is that you can use all of them or a few - as many as you want.

Well, the first four orders will account for most of the aberrations in terms of quantity, if not in importance. There are different kinds of coma, astigmatism, etc. The point is what are you going to use them for. Right now, nothing I guess.

I think of about 3 questions per day that I'd like to ask you. I suspect most of them you'd like to keep close to your chest.

The question I'd like to ask is: Yes, you can get good results with wavefront, but again, what is the practicality of the matter?

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT IRREGULAR CORNEAS from cones or grafts. I'm talking about HOA from mother nature and possibly from lenticular changes.

Withe spectacles, just how much position of wear "registration error" exists to offset it, and, for that matter, fingerprints or even scratch coat or AR coat uneveness or even lens stress from lens/frame sizing errors? And how would we reliably even check in such jobs? To me it sounds like folly.

As to CLs, your scleral platform makes sense, but I continue to be skeptical because don't the lenses film, fog, warp, and do everything else my spherical RGPs do?

What's more, is how much "chasing of the HOA" we'd be doing. If it's from lenticular change, is that going to change annually? A pair of glasses should last awhile. If you pay a "HOA premium" in year one (say $200), and the benefit evaporates in 12 months, you can do the math.

And if there are concurrent lower-order aberrations progressing over time, doesn't that wipe out the relatively miniscule gains from HOA correction?

Doesn't "scleral settling" screw things up, too?

I.e., are we hitting a very moving target? I really don't know.

The question I'd like to ask is: Yes, you can get good results with wavefront, but again, what is the practicality of the matter?

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT IRREGULAR CORNEAS from cones or grafts. I'm talking about HOA from mother nature and possibly from lenticular changes.

Withe spectacles, just how much position of wear "registration error" exists to offset it, and, for that matter, fingerprints or even scratch coat or AR coat uneveness or even lens stress from lens/frame sizing errors? And how would we reliably even check in such jobs? To me it sounds like folly.

As to CLs, your scleral platform makes sense, but I continue to be skeptical because don't the lenses film, fog, warp, and do everything else my spherical RGPs do?

What's more, is how much "chasing of the HOA" we'd be doing. If it's from lenticular change, is that going to change annually? A pair of glasses should last awhile. If you pay a "HOA premium" in year one (say $200), and the benefit evaporates in 12 months, you can do the math.

And if there are concurrent lower-order aberrations progressing over time, doesn't that wipe out the relatively miniscule gains from HOA correction?

Doesn't "scleral settling" screw things up, too?

I.e., are we hitting a very moving target? I really don't know.

Ah, good questions. Unquestionably the contact lens platform makes infinitely more sense than the spectacle platform. I don't even think about wavefront-guided spectacles except perhaps in reducing spherical aberration. You can always sell a feature, and maybe even convince the patient they can tell the difference. Think placebo effect here. However, wavefront-guided contact lenses are the real deal. Also, there are wavefront readers and one can always measure the wavefront error through the lens in front of the eye with an aberrometer.

Let me answer questions with a couple of examples. Recently I had a patient whose HOA were on the low end of the abnormal scale, and possibly in the normal range depending on the data source. He was 20/20 uncorrected. WG sclerals improved his vision to 20/10. While not everybody is correctable to 20/10, it is much less rare in my practice than it used to be. Maybe this speaks to your more "normal' patients. Think about improving visual performance. Wouldn't an aspiring baseball player love that?

Now, I have a really challenging KC patient who lives in New Zealand. KC is very prevalent down there. He had been having some GPC problems with the sclerals I made for him a year ago. We worked so much on the optics that we neglected to fine-tune the edges on his lenses. He wants to come see me but needs to be out of his Kerasofts for awhile. So, I made him a duplicate set of lenses, this time with the modified edges, and sent them. They were more comfortable. He dutifully had them checked out by his local optometrist and his visual acuity was still the same as before with the other lenses. This should speak to the reproducibility and longevity of both the lenses and the correction. Really this has not been an issue I have had to deal with.

Filming isn't a big problem. Fogging is. But we know why it happens and we know what steps to take to minimize it, but it requires a flexible lens platform - with more design flexibility than currently exists. Scleral settling does happen, in both the Y and Z dimensions. The Z-dimension settling, i.e. lens settles into the conjunctiva, is something that doesn't seem to effect the correction. The Y settling, or the lens dropping down, does matter. This has to be corrected by repositioning the optics. Same with lens rotation. Flexure needs to be controlled, and that is a design issue. Sclerals probably flex less than corneal lenses because they are thicker - typically 250 microns CT minimally.

Prescriptions do change, and so do aberrations over time. However, I haven't found this to be a deal breaker. After all, it is a major reason why we are in business. Most of my KC patients continue to see well. I just had one in the office post one-year sclerals. She is still seeing great with them and chose not to replace them.

Let me add that even if the magnitude of change only converts to a fraction of a diopter, it is enough to improve acuity from 20/20 to 20/10. Think about it. It's very subtle, but very powerful.

Last edited:
My goal is not to convince Jeff Keiner that he should be offering wavefront-guided optics to his patients. My goal has always been to improve the visual functioning of my patients and to make them happy campers. Wavefront-guided optics has exceeded my expectations, but sometimes falls short. That's why I am investing even more money so that I can fix the people conventional "Zernike" optics don't fix.

When I needed wavefront optics, it wasn't there for me. I didn't want to have to reach retirement before it became a clinical reality. That's what would have happened.

I value your opinion, Greg, because you have the practical to back up the theoretical!

Rock on!

I value your opinion, Greg, because you have the practical to back up the theoretical!

Rock on!

Thanks, Jeff. I appreciate that. Getting it out of the text book and into the clinic was the challenging part, but once you have one big piece of the puzzle, then the others fall in line. I also have many more real world patients to work with.

After working with wavefront for almost a decade, I can say it has taught me to look at patients differently. Now I know why the keratoconus patient struggles to make out the 20/30 line with their sclerals. I now know why the end-point is never good enough, or the range of indifference is so large. It's because the optics of the lenses we force on them don't match up to the optics of their eyes. That high astigmatism is actually coma, but the sphero-cylindrical refraction is only the best approximation for it. We are using the same paradigm that has existed for centuries.

Reactions: Troy Cassidy