Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Episode 11: The Genesis of the AOS & Analysis of the BC Trial

If you've been interested in how the whole board certification dust-up started, this interview will help you get some perspective.

Because in today's show, Paul and Adam sit down with Dr. Michael Rosenblatt, a founder and Board Member at the American Optometric Society to discuss:

• How and why the American Optometric Society was formed
  • The political challenges of working in organized optometry
  • What the outcome of the board certification trial means to the average OD
  • His take on where the AOS will be headed in the coming weeks and months

If you've got any follow-up questions for Dr. Rosenblatt, please post them in this thread.

Loading the player ...

Thanks to ODwire.org Supporting Members for making this radio show possible.

Thanks again to mike for an informative interview; if you've got follow-up questions for him, just post 'em here!

cheers
adam

Excellent! Very informative. I totally agree. Those who are into Board Certification can just certify themselves. Leave the rest of us alone. And those who are against stand alone vision plans dont have to take them. But dont ruin it for the rest of us by advocating blocking them from the insurance exchanges - for most of us, VSP (regardless of what you may think of them) accounts for the majority of our practice income. Everyone can have their own opinions, just dont ruin things for those who dont share your yours. Just my 2 cents about all these disagreements in our profession.

Brian T. Pham said:
Excellent! Very informative. I totally agree. Those who are into Board Certification can just certify themselves. Leave the rest of us alone. And those who are against stand alone vision plans dont have to take them. But dont ruin it for the rest of us by advocating blocking them from the insurance exchanges - for most of us, VSP (regardless of what you may think of them) accounts for the majority of our practice income. Everyone can have their own opinions, just dont ruin things for those who dont share your yours. Just my 2 cents about all these disagreements in our profession.

Learn the issue before commenting, please. Especially about vision plans and exchanges. That kind of ignorance can be devastating to the profession. You seriously need to look at what VSP has done lately and ask yourself how safe it is putting your eggs in that basket. What will you do when VSP starts paying like Davis and Spectera? They are ALREADY bringing in providers that are being paid at those levels. Putting them in a position where they can step between ODs and medical plans (as they have done in several states) is flat-out stupid and suicidal.

Don't think of it as keeping VSP out of the exchanges as much as trying to keep VSP from keeping ODs from medical insurance.