Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
[Download May 14-15 Lecture Schedule] [Register Here]

Hey everyone, as we're in the little "intermission" period between CEwire2022 live events, I want to give everyone an update.

* Believe it or not, this year's conference now has had over 3,000 OD participants so far (that's not registrants, or people who signed up but didn't show, which is how other conference's measure -- that's actual participants!)

* We've submitted something around 50,000 hours of credit to ARBO so far.

* The brand new software has held up admirably -- during the intermission between the first and second live events, we were able to smash most of the outstanding bugs that we saw. The software has been about an order of magnitude more reliable than the old platform, as measured by support issues so far.

There's still time for people to sign up for the final interactive event on May 14-15 -- with no quizzes required -- and of course all the lectures are available on demand from now until August 1st.

Thanks to everyone for making it a fun event!
Adam

What is interesting is that these 3000 are ODs willing to pay for attending C/E.

For balance, it might be useful to hear from those ODs who took the free courses sponsored by industry. Is this something you wish remains with the new ARBO/COVID regulations beginning 7/1/22.Is there value in a "free lunch"?

Last edited:
What is interesting is that these 3000 are ODs willing to pay for attending C/E.

For balance it might be useful to hear from those ODs who took the free courses sponsored by industry. Is this something you wish remains with the new ARBO/COVID regulations beginning 7/1/22.Id there value in a "free lunch"?
They're willing to pay because of
1). The quality of the CE/Speakers
2). The quantity of the CE
3). The exceptionally low cost of the CE
4). The reputation/experience of CEwire from past events
5). The fact that Adam, You, and I have dimples :D :D :D

Is that really surprising? 60 CE credits for $170, even if they can't use all of them.
We like to think altruistically that people may take CE to learn as well as to maintain their license at least some peopel

Reactions: Kristin Bartlett
Just since you picked up on my post Steve, what's your take on how many of the 3000 do so?
I have no idea but as an example when IDOC was a small company I attended their national meetings. There was great lectures and information that people were riveted to even though no CE was offered.

I think the majority take the courses for licensing, but I also think they get a lot out of them to take back to their practices. Many just mail it in I agree and you're not going to change human nature

I have no idea but as an example when IDOC was a small company I attended their national meetings. There was great lectures and information that people were riveted to even though no CE was offered.

I think the majority take the courses for licensing, but I also think they get a lot out of them to take back to their practices. Many just mail it in I agree and you're not going to change human nature
Guess the reason to participant is moot, just that there is a benefit derived. Congrats!

I've downloaded the presentation slides and course materials as available to read through and learn stuff at my leisure. I like learning, and even though I'm not practicing much anymore, it's good to know what it is I will be missing. :)

Yes, I need the credits to renew my license (one last time) but I seek out courses that interest me, not just anything that builds numbers. The price is right, the time is flexible and supporting the process that makes it happen has value, too.

So thanks, you guys! Well done! I hope ODWire continues on long past my participation.

Reactions: Steve Silberberg
Congrats on the success. No doubt CEWire is a good value and having the ability to pick and choose your courses and watch them at your own pace is a great selling point.

It seems odd that these thousands of ODs that sign up for CE rarely ever post on the message board. Are message boards dying out?

It seems odd that these thousands of ODs that sign up for CE rarely ever post on the message board.
There's a private CEwire discussion forum that you can't see unless you're registered for the event. It's got about 600 messages on it so far. My observation too is that people are using it to communicate privately with the speakers and each other vs. publicly.

Optometric shyness is rearing its head again, I fear! That's one reason i'm glad I brought back the anonymous post functionality.

-- ad

There's a private CEwire discussion forum that you can't see unless you're registered for the event. It's got about 600 messages on it so far. My observation too is that people are using it to communicate privately with the speakers and each other vs. publicly.

Optometric shyness is rearing its head again, I fear! That's one reason i'm glad I brought back the anonymous post functionality.

-- ad
"Optometric shyness" is pervasive on all forums. I would bet we get a mad rush to our May interactive weekend with ARBO changing the rule potentially at the AOA meeting.

"Optometric shyness" is pervasive on all forums. I would bet we get a mad rush to our May interactive weekend with ARBO changing the rule potentially at the AOA meeting.
Absolutely possible -- we don't know exactly what ARBO is going to propose at the meeting and how it will apply to the last half of 2022, so if people are looking for a "sure thing" without quizzes, etc, you'll want to get any CE you do done before July 1.

Absolutely possible -- we don't know exactly what ARBO is going to propose at the meeting and how it will apply to the last half of 2022, so if people are looking for a "sure thing" without quizzes, etc, you'll want to get any CE you do done before July 1.
It may be your last opportunity EVER!

-- ad
Optometric shyness is definitely a real thing.

Not a lot of LCTs, Panzers, and Kieners out there that will say what is on their mind and willing to share the way they do things in their practices without fear of criticism.

I think much of it stems from optometry often being such a solitary profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AdminWolf

Not a lot of LCTs, Panzers, and Kieners out there that will say what is on their mind and willing to share the way they do things in their practices without fear of criticism.

Don't forget Steve Nelson.

Reactions: Matt Judd
Optometric shyness is definitely a real thing. Not a lot of LCTs, Panzers, and Kieners out there that will say what is on their mind and willing to share the way they do things in their practices without fear of criticism.

Just amazes me that your efforts are corralled by ARBO and State Boards.

And crowded...

Organized eyeMD's can share "on call", go in partnerships on expensive "lasers", build and staff "ASC's"... etc.

EyeMD's are not perfect. But they can fight like hell to prevent optometry expansion.

Optometry on the other hand...we are our own worst enemy.

We can't even agree on how to bill a simple eye exam...how to code it...and which insurance a patient can use and why.

We can't stop the sale of illegal contacts, the BS 24/7/365 calls and faxes from online contact lens companies, and waste countless hours and MONEY on stupid stuff like board certification.

Now we have "got stuck" with $50 eye exams...since 1997...and can't break free.

And worst of all...every freaking state does it different... (yeah Florida we are talking about you)...how can a OD that has been out for 20 years, on the lecture circuit, not able to retire in Florida and get a part time job?

Edited by moderator. What was removed?

No more diatribes...no more "negativism"

So far to my knowledge I have not been edited.

But I'm not posting much any longer either.

Edited by moderator. What was removed?
Nothing was removed -- the content of the comment is identical to what was posted, I think Paul just inserted linebreaks between the paragraphs to make it easier to read, as far as I can tell.

-- adam

Nothing was removed -- the content of the comment is identical to what was posted, I think Paul just inserted linebreaks between the paragraphs to make it easier to read, as far as I can tell.

-- adam
That is correct. Called editing.

In addition...some edit their own comments after posting. That too is noted.

Last edited:

-- adam
It's three sentences long. But hey, I should not have commented at all.

Editor's note: Your comments are welcome.Your observations are gold and optometry's loss. I hope you reconsider.

Last edited by a moderator:
And crowded...

Organized eyeMD's can share "on call", go in partnerships on expensive "lasers", build and staff "ASC's"... etc.

EyeMD's are not perfect. But they can fight like hell to prevent optometry expansion.

Optometry on the other hand...we are our own worst enemy.

We can't even agree on how to bill a simple eye exam...how to code it...and which insurance a patient can use and why.

We can't stop the sale of illegal contacts, the BS 24/7/365 calls and faxes from online contact lens companies, and waste countless hours and MONEY on stupid stuff like board certification.

Now we have "got stuck" with $50 eye exams...since 1997...and can't break free.

And worst of all...every freaking state does it different... (yeah Florida we are talking about you)...how can a OD that has been out for 20 years, on the lecture circuit, not able to retire in Florida and get a part time job?
Good post.

Worst enemy: us. Game. Set. Match.

We go against all of medicine in scope battles, really. So, the wins are exceptionally hard-fought. I’m not sure most ODs have that much interest in doing more now.

We don’t agree on simple, already defined terminology: examination, screening, profession, speciality, etc. So coding/billing… yikes.

Capitalism and commerce favor competition; every example where we resemble mere sales rather than professionals… we’ll be seen as self-serving clerks, not doctors.

We race each other for the bottom. We keep doing it. We must kinda want it that way. I used to think it was more external, but I’ve come to think it’s internal. I think blaming others is a way to reduce painful cognitive dissonance.

State boards that restrict mobility unnecessarily, whether by rule, law, fees, or more, are examples of regulatory capture. Ultimately, that goes poorly for a regulated profession let alone its individuals. Apparently, a few jurisdictions are able to get by with this. Most don’t at this point, thankfully. Most use endorsement properly. Some… no.

Reactions: Jeffrey S. Filandro