Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Episode 3: Exiting Commercial Practice, Part 2

At some point during their careers, many docs working commerical look to change their mode of practice. But how does one actually do it successfully?

In this two-part episode, we interview a number of clinicians who have made the switch.

In Part 2, we speak with:

"Dr. X" -- an ODwire.org Member who went from commercial to private practice

and

Dr. Steven Nelson, who went from commercial to a nursing home practice.

Loading the player ...

Last edited:
by the way, "dr. x" has his voice disguised, he doesn't really sound like woody woodpecker :)

adam

Good interviews; Nelson's voice sounded pretty much the way I expected him to sound.

Good work Paul and Adam and thanks to Steve for an authoritative rundown on how to prepare your commercial practice for what life throws at it.

Another great episode, very informative! Many Thanks to Dr. X and Dr. Nelson.

I wish Dr. X could have gone more into how he is marketing his PP and how long he anticipates it would take before he can go full time there. I ask because in Dr. X's case he does have source of income coming in so his PP doesn't need to support him right away. But, what if CP lets you go when they find out you are planning to leave, might be better to that a secret until your PP is somewhat established.

Dr. Nelson made a great point about the salary differential between PP and CP which in most cases is far too great. When most grads have 150k-200k loan they have no choice to go with the bigger paycheck regardless of how much that hurts the profession or looked down upon by PP owners. Also, Dr. Nelson deserves his own weekly podcast.:)

Editor's note: I hope Dr X is reading this and he can respond as an Anonymous Poster.
Dr Nelson did a great job. Nelson opinion each week...might be a bit much. ;-).

Last edited by a moderator:
That was lots of fun to hear you, Steven. I especially liked, "I don't do being annoyed really well."

Very good radio program! Mr. Nelson 'nailed' it - have an exit strategy from Day 1.

DavidWells said:
Very good radio program! Mr. Nelson 'nailed' it - have an exit strategy from Day 1.

I really liked Adam's comment about it being OK to kick you out of the plane if you packed your parachute.