Site Administrator & Tech Lead
- Feb 24, 2001
- University of Michigan Medical School
- Lake Oswego
On this edition of ODwire.org Radio, we were incredibly fortunate to have an in-depth conversation with Dr. Irving Bennett.
For those who don't know him, Dr. Bennett literally wrote the book on practice management in eye care, and is the founder of the Bennett Center for Practice Management at PCO.
With a career that spans eight decades (he started in the mid-1940's), Dr. Bennett has seen just about everything.
Highlights of our talk include:
- How he devised & founded Optometric Management
- How he founded VisionExpo, the largest eyecare show in the world
- His thoughts on board certification, practitioner oversupply, the opening of new schools, and where he sees the profession heading
- An amusing (painful?) story of how he passed up an opportunity to be the first to import Varilux lenses to the US!
If you are at all curious about the history of eye care, you won't want to miss this show.
And if you have any follow-up questions for Dr. Bennett (or just want to reminisce), you can post in this thread.