Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR

Like any test that has evolved over time, today's visual field tests have grown more accurate and reliable, but legacy systems have remained cumbersome for patients and practices alike.

In this ODwire.org webinar, Paul Karpecki, OD, explores how advancements in technology can help your practice overcome the limitations of legacy visual field tests.

He will discuss how the combination of Virtual Reality headsets with advanced, time-tested software, will lead to more efficient and accurate testing with a positive patient experience.

Attendees of this course will learn:

* How new technology can increase comfort and decrease anxiety for the patient, technician and practitioner

* How features like
Active Eye Tracking provide reliable visual field results

* Why new testing modalities will improve testing speed and clinic efficiency

About Paul Karpecki, OD:

As a practicing Optometrist and Medical Director of KEPLR Vision, Dr. Karpecki leverages his expansive clinical expertise and business acumen to elevate the role of Optometry.

He is committed to innovation and collaborates to bring new technologies and innovative treatments to the Optometric space. He serves as Director of Cornea Services at Kentucky Eye Institute in Lexington, KY, Gaddie Eye Centers in Louisville, KY and Center for Sight in Carmel, IN.

In addition to completing a full year Retina Fellowship at one of the top 20 US practices, Retina Associates of Kentucky, he is the Associate Professor at the University of Pikeville Kentucky of Optometry.

In addition, Dr. Karpecki serves as Chief Medical Editor for Review of Optometry and has authored 30+ peer reviewed articles, 400+ non-peer reviewed and 7 book chapters.

About the featured technology:

The
Smart System | VR Headset by M&S Technologies is a programmable VR Headset with Surface Pro 7 tablet that is powered by time-tested software for fast, accurate and convenient visual field testing.

This portable device includes Active Eye Tracking Functionality, QuickScreen Visual Field testing with full Threshold testing in 3 minutes per eye, and an intuitive interface for ease of use.

This is the first show we've done with Dr. Karpecki in a long while, so I'm looking forward to it!

For those who haven't traveled to any in-person events in a while... VR headsets are becoming an increasingly common way to do fields -- they can be faster and more accurate. I haven't traveled much either during the pandemic, but at the AA(Ophth) meeting last fall, they had demos of these units all over the place in the exhibit hall. From what I could tell they are becoming accepted by the OMDs in their clinics.

Paul's talk will go over the nuts-and-bolts of how these things work. We've have a Q&A afterwards!

Hope to see you there,
ad

Thanks everyone for a fun show, please ask follow-up questions in this thread.

-- adam

Would love to hear people's feedback on these devices -- just based on my travels at the AAO(phth) in the fall, they are apparently becoming popular.

What is the cost and current re-imbursement?
Hi Dr. Wells,

Thank you for your message. The Headset is $10.995. This is a one-time fee and you can do unlimited fields. The reimbursement codes are the same visual fields codes currently used, and the amount of reimbursement is also the same. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Mike Umali

Hi Dr. Wells,

Thank you for your message. The Headset is $10.995. This is a one-time fee and you can do unlimited fields. The reimbursement codes are the same visual fields codes currently used, and the amount of reimbursement is also the same. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Mike Umali
Thank you! My rep is coming by next week to demo the unit. I would like to review the operating manual in advance if you could post a link. Thank you.

This is the first show we've done with Dr. Karpecki in a long while, so I'm looking forward to it!

For those who haven't traveled to any in-person events in a while... VR headsets are becoming an increasingly common way to do fields -- they can be faster and more accurate. I haven't traveled much either during the pandemic, but at the AA(Ophth) meeting last fall, they had demos of these units all over the place in the exhibit hall. From what I could tell they are becoming accepted by the OMDs in their clinics.

Paul's talk will go over the nuts-and-bolts of how these things work. We've have a Q&A afterwards!

Hope to see you there,
ad
Look into a new company called Xenon Ophthalmics