After surgery mistake blinded her, a Miles City woman vows to adapt to situation - KPVI News 6

This is a terrible story, but an interesting one nonetheless -- she shouldn't have been a candidate for the implant, but the OMD went ahead anyway.

The question I would pose to all of you -- how many patients have you steered away from potential disaster before they decided to go down a surgical path like this? (and OMG the details of this case -- making her wait 18 days to come in after the implant dislocated... malpractice indeed)

Terrible story. My neighbor across the street had anterior chamber implants to treat high myopia. She said she was originally about a minus 16. Now she needs cataract surgery and has seen a few different doctors. She’s been told the procedure to remove the AC implants is difficult and achieving the desired post op refraction is even more difficult.

She was a patient of the OD whose practice I purchased so will almost certainly be my patient soon. She told me this story while I was out walking the dog.

So, an aside..
If you do something outside the "law". Your insurance carrier is not liable.
Did you know that?
So, going for 3 million the insurance carrier may claim no responsibility.

So, an aside..
If you do something outside the "law". Your insurance carrier is not liable.
Did you know that?
So, going for 3 million the insurance carrier may claim no responsibility.

More important for ODs...

if a procedure performed by ODs is not specifically included in OD malpractice insurance, ,every effort will be made by the carrier to leave the OD hanging out to dry.

Hopefully Dr Craig Steinberg will comment.

Seems strange that the issue was her anterior chamber wasn't "thick enough" to receive the implant. That would be very unusual in a highly myopic patient.

Seems strange that the issue was her anterior chamber wasn't "thick enough" to receive the implant. That would be very unusual in a highly myopic patient.
Maybe it is diameter not depth.

I'm not sure if it is just anterior chamber depth that is critical here, but I wonder if this patient did not receive a prophylactic YAG peripheral iridotomy?

I would have though that the OD would have also attracted a lawsuit for not referring / ensuring referral in a timely manner or instituting IOP lowering therapy.

The larger the diameter of the ICL, the more the ICL vaults the crystalline lens and the more it can bulge the iris forward, hence the obligatory PIs. I had one patient with IOP complications secondary to ICL complications and the remedy was a small diameter ICL. She was around -15. I'm no expert. I've inherited two patients who had this done. -Charlie