American Surgeons warn House against latest salvo in Florida's resurgent Eyeball Wars -...

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Reactions: Frederick Frost
I read that damn study when it came out and I warned my colleagues in Oklahoma about it. All it said was that optometrists performed more LPI procedures than ophthalmologists. There was no hazard to the patient and there was no difference in outcomes. If anything the optometrists may have been a little too conservative in their initial treatment of the angle showing increased care and concern for their patients.

When I see articles like that that are so damn biased for the MDs it really pisses me off.

Are our colleagues in Florida even asking for laser procedures? What exactly is the scope expansion being considered? Does anyone know?

By the way refer severe glaucoma to an ophthalmologist in 72 hours????? So what? The optometrist will have solved the problem by then, what a waste of taxpayer dollars.

My mentor Dr. Covert who used to be on the state board long ago had told me that even when optometrists wanted to have diagnostics in Ohio, the MDs had what they called a "bloody eyeball" file that they would use to talk about cases that optometrists had screwed up patient's eyes. The association had an equally long "bloody eyeball" file for the MDs.

As the saying goes, time to load for bear!

Reactions: Eric W Syverson
"The proposal would expand the scope of optometry beyond that of ophthalmologists..."

What would that be?

"The proposal would expand the scope of optometry beyond that of ophthalmologists..."

What would that be?

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
f930211d-6a23-486b-9a05-3ff76adc3d0e.png

House Bill 1037 Passes Health Quality Subcommittee

The FOA is proud to inform you that House Bill 1037, successfully passed the Health Quality Subcommittee today.

Please thank Representative Manny Diaz, Jr., the bill’s sponsor, and the committee members (links below) for their support of House Bill 1037.

HB 1037 Sponsor: Representative Manny Diaz, Jr. (R)
Chair: Representative Cary Pigman (R)
Vice Chair: Representative Rene Plasencia (R)
SB 1168/ HB 1037

Optometry: Provides sole authority to Board of Optometry over certain powers & duties; deletes provisions related to statutory formulary of oral ocular pharmaceutical agents; authorizes & provides requirements for certified optometrists in ophthalmic surgery to perform laser & non-laser procedures; provides requirements for course & examination; provides exceptions to prohibition against ophthalmic surgery procedures in practice of optometry; deletes express prohibition against surgery for certified optometrists.

Follow on Twitter | Like Us on Facebook | Forward to a friend
Copyright © 2017 Florida Optometric Association,
All rights reserved.

Unsubscribe from this list

open.php

Reactions: Frederick Frost
Eventually the absurdity of how much our scope has been suppressed to the detriment of the public will be known. When non-doctoral providers can provide greater "Eye and Adnexa" scope than an optometrist - eye doctor - the irony has to come to light....maybe.

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
f930211d-6a23-486b-9a05-3ff76adc3d0e.png

House Bill 1037 Passes Health Quality Subcommittee

The FOA is proud to inform you that House Bill 1037, successfully passed the Health Quality Subcommittee today.

Please thank Representative Manny Diaz, Jr., the bill’s sponsor, and the committee members (links below) for their support of House Bill 1037.

HB 1037 Sponsor: Representative Manny Diaz, Jr. (R)
Chair: Representative Cary Pigman (R)
Vice Chair: Representative Rene Plasencia (R)
SB 1168/ HB 1037

Optometry: Provides sole authority to Board of Optometry over certain powers & duties; deletes provisions related to statutory formulary of oral ocular pharmaceutical agents; authorizes & provides requirements for certified optometrists in ophthalmic surgery to perform laser & non-laser procedures; provides requirements for course & examination; provides exceptions to prohibition against ophthalmic surgery procedures in practice of optometry; deletes express prohibition against surgery for certified optometrists.

Follow on Twitter | Like Us on Facebook | Forward to a friend
Copyright © 2017 Florida Optometric Association,
All rights reserved.

Unsubscribe from this list

open.php
I'd like to know what is is that optometrists are going to be allowed to do that ophthalmologists are not.

I'd like to know what is is that optometrists are going to be allowed to do that ophthalmologists are not.

Bill surgery to a VCP?