Amniotic Membrane Therapy: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly (51961-AS)

AdminWolf

Site Administrator & Tech Lead
Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
cewire-logo-2017-250.png

40 COPE credits online, $179!
Watch online until May 1, 2017 [more info]

Amniotic Membrane Therapy: “The Good, The Bad, The Ugly” (51961-AS)

Craig Thomas, OD

Dr. Craig Thomas has placed hundreds of amniotic membranes on patients. In this talk, you will learn about regenerative therapy using amniotic membrane allografts. Emphasis is placed on the wound healing response of the ocular surface, indications for therapy, patient selection, allograft application techniques and postoperative complications.

Interview: Dr. Craig Thomas on Amniotic Membrane Therapy.

Watch Dr. Thomas' course at your leisure through May 1st, 2017 and earn COPE credit!

Get more information & see the full course list at CEwire2017.com

marco-meatball-300.jpg

Thanks again to Marco for sponsoring the CEwire2017 Livestream!

Reactions: Guirguis Faltes
Thanks again to Craig for a great lecture -- lots of good, practical tips for those just getting started with amniotic membranes! I think he's probably done more of them than just about anyone.

After listening to our interview and taking Dr Thomas' course you are ready to offer the Amniotic membrane lens in your practice.

To get the final bit of information listen to our interviews with the President of Blythe Medical who produces the Avril Amniotic Membrane Lens...
https://www.odwire.org/community/th...blythe-medical-aril-amniotic-membrane.101960/

They are offering a show discount through 5/1/17 . The list price is $250...the show price is $200. Order four lenses and you have more than paid for registration through the discount.

If they work for you, you may wish to order a greater quantity since the Avril Amniotic membrane has a 5 year shelf life.

Any regrets not signing up for CEwire2017? There is 42 days left to take 40 hours of COPE approved C/E. You will have access to the exhibit to take advantages of vendor discount.

To register first time registrants www.cewire2017 to sign up.

Last edited:
I learned something from LCT about amniotic membranes at SECO. He gave a 'top tip' -- if you place the lens and after a while the patient says "it feels like I have a hair in my eye", get the lens OUT, because they are having an immune response to the tissue.

He can give you the details, but I think in his protocol he keeps patients in the office for at least 15 or 30 minutes post-placement in order to make sure this isn't an issue (sort of like when you administer a vaccine.)

ad

I'm surprised at the lack of questions on this break through procedure.

Is the $200 - $700 per application price tag keeping many ODs away from this approach to a therapy that might succeed where other procedures have failed.

We highlighted this topic in our last newsletter. Over 20,000 ODs read the newsletter. Why the quiet?