Bacigalupi named next Kentucky optometry college dean - Healio

DANG!!
"Bacigalupi began his optometric career with a private practice in rural Texas, where he was the only eye care provider."

Y'all have a friggin undersupply of ODs

Bacigalupi named next Kentucky optometry college dean
Healio
The University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Optometry announced the appointment of Michael Bacigalupi, OD, MS, FAAO, as the college's new dean. The appointment comes after an extensive search that brought four qualified candidates to campus, ...

Continue reading...

The appointment comes after an extensive search that brought four qualified candidates to campus, ...

Is the search being referred to for the Dean or for students? The profession is in trouble if the latter...

If 4 qualified candidates went here and 1 was chosen, I guess that means there are only 3 left for the Dean vacancy at NECO.

I'll try to get my resumé updated so I can get the position.

No joke, we are at almost an abysmal. 1.1 to 1 applicants per seat. If I heard correctly it used to be something like 27 to 1.

Dr. Bacigalupi seemed to do a credible job as assistant dean at Nova where he was liked and respected by most of the students.

Dr. Bacigalupi seemed to do a credible job as assistant dean at Nova where he was liked and respected by most of the students.
Agree.
Guessing Pikeville is trying to buy credibility.

They could enlist the ghosts of Borish and Prentice onto the faculty, and I'd still think this school was totally unnecessary.

Reactions: Kristin Bartlett
Agree.
Guessing Pikeville is trying to buy credibility.

They could enlist the ghosts of Borish and Prentice onto the faculty, and I'd still think this school was totally unnecessary.

So true. I think the only ones benefitting at these new OD schools are the OD staff, but on the backs of the general OD community and funded by the future ODs 30 year high cost student loan.

If 4 qualified candidates went here and 1 was chosen, I guess that means there are only 3 left for the Dean vacancy at NECO.

I'll try to get my resumé updated so I can get the position.
New dean for NECO has already been announced: Howard Purcell.

New dean for NECO has already been announced: Howard Purcell.

I wonder what the salary and beni package is for these recruited deans and the first round draft picks for faculty that they poach out of other successful OD programs.

I wonder what the salary and beni package is for these recruited deans
Minimum $250,000 year, with heavy pension and benefits and business expenses. Also, lots of vacation time.

Reactions: Michael Barris
Minimum $250,000 year, with heavy pension and benefits and business expenses. Also, lots of vacation time.

Wow Doug, now I understand why you are polishing up your resume. ;)

I have seen that the perks often exceed this base salary. Often including luxury housing, luxury wheels and much more.

Wow Doug, now I understand why you are polishing up your resume. ;)

I have seen that the perks often exceed this base salary. Often including luxury housing, luxury wheels and much more.
Forty years ago, the salaries and benefits of administrators were close to those of professors.

Sounds like those professors lived the sweet life 49 years ago. Did they have Lawrence Welk back then? :)

Last edited:
$250,000 seems mighty strong.

I don't think it's like that at U of H, at least not for the Assistant Deans.

I thought you had to have a PhD, too.

The first optometry school dean with an OD but without a Ph.D. in the last seventy-five years was Wall at Pacific University and subsequently Southern California College of Optometry. He had an O.D. and a M.D. but no Ph.D.

Andres Pagan, O.D., M.P.H., at Inter American University of Puerto Rico, was the second.

https://optometriceducation.org/students-future-students/member-schools-and-colleges/

On 17 May 2018, ten of 23 deans (or presidents if the school is free-standing) of US optometry colleges have Ph.D.s.

Names are available upon request.

Last edited:
PhD or no,t the Dean for the new college of optometry will require a medal of valor moving into a position where there is a shortage of students and a scramble for quality faculty.

Anyone in academia ready to step up and discuss why the need for another optometry college?

How about a member of the AOA's Accreditation Council on Optometric Education sharing their thoughts.
https://www.aoa.org/optometrists/for-educators/accreditation-council-on-optometric-education

image.png
$250,000 seems mighty strong.

I don't think it's like that at U of H, at least not for the Assistant Deans.

Good info Ed. Do you have similar data for OD school presidents (just checking options for our friend Doug)?

I actually mispoke. I meant to say that President gets $250,000+. I imagine a Dean is getting somewhere between 175-200K.

Soon we will be at a 1:1 applicant to acceptance ratio for optometry schools. That means anyone with a pulse can get in.