School/Org
Columbia University / PCO
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
I receive this interesting e mail...

Hi Paul,

The biggest surprise in photography has been how so many savvy photographers have begun shooting film ... again.

Younger people are "discovering" film while older amateurs & pros are bringing their film cameras down from closet shelves ... at least for some of their photography.

A problem for photographers: It can be difficult to find film in retail stores. That's especially true for pro films. So, we've decided to help!

It is a rather extended commercial. For more information go to..
http://archive.benchmarkemail.com/D...aboratories-Photographers---Fuji-OTUC-Version

Seeing the box of Kodak film shown in the e mail ,where you were limited to 36 exposures for $7, rather than unlimited shots using your I phone at no cost. The question is how many of the I phone photos have thought behind them. Do any of the thousand of iPhone photos ever enter an album?

Most of us have memories of parents or grandparents taking out the family album. Then carefully looking at black and white or faded color photo. Each has a story and a fond memory.

Can this initiative aimed at the young by Dale Labs, motivate more that the minority photo hobbyists to return to the time of your grandparents when each photo was a memory treasure using a camera?

This thought led me to think about life experiences by parents and grandparents that are gone and never be experienced by the younger generation

A few of my memories that may never be experienced by my children or grandchildren...

Flying First Class in a 747...
https://www.executivetraveller.com/the-fabulous-bars-lounges-and-restaurants-of-the-boeing-747

A few airlines still offer the newest version the 747-800 but nothing like the formality and quality of airline dining 40 years ago

Traveling overnight on the Orient Express Paris to Venice with a black tie dinner on board...
https://www.belmond.com/trains/euro...uGOP5kU1owh3sLzokJcaAjoKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
In small measure still available London to Paris shown in this commercial.

A taster menu at a Charlie Trotters in Chicago...

https://www.eater.com/2013/11/5/6336241/here-are-menus-from-charlie-trotters-over-the-years
Charlie Trotter is no longer with us but created a memory

A dinner on the top floor of the World Trade Center Windows on the World...
https://ny.eater.com/2013/9/11/6547477/windows-on-the-world-new-yorks-sky-high-restaurant
One thing to notice the well known eateries expected their clients to be dressed for the occasion. Today most restaurants are casual. Jackets and ties for men seem to be the exception.

Will fine dining ever return to more formality?

A BOAC supersonic Concorde Flight New York to London in 3 hours...
https://www.heritageconcorde.com/g-boac-204

Fortunately you your children and certainly your grandchildren will have the opportunity to fly a commercial supersonic airliner within the next 20 years.

Some of those memories above were expensive, but worth adding to your bucket list if there is a newer variation.

There are simpler memories to mention.

A pleasures like visiting a Horn and Hardart Automat with your kids and let them get their own lunches with change supplied by parent.
https://www.6sqft.com/horn-and-hardart-automats-redefining-lunchtime-dining-on-a-dime/

I hope I have stirred some memories. Share some of your experiences that would be difficult to duplicate today.

Hopefully you have a family album with old fashioned snapshots to help you recall.

Editor's note: In the interest of full disclosure, the e mail blast which began this topic was sent by Dale Laboratories. I'm on their mailing list. Founder of the company and president is Dale Farkas, my nephew.

Last edited:

Michael Barris

Jan 6, 2005
michaelcbarrisphd.com
School/Org
PhD Graduate Center City University of NY
City
Fredonia
State
NY
When my father graduated from high school, he and his classmates sailed on a passenger liner from Buffalo to Detroit to see Model-T Ford automobiles being assembled.

Editor's note:In the 1920s this is what your dad saw...

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Farkas

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2000
www.odwire.org
School/Org
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Useful information who are serious about photography...

How To Get Sharper
Hand-Held Pictures
Hi ODwire.org who are serious photographers,

Here's a short, entertaining video from photographer Chis Nicols.

He demonstrates the smartest ways to hold your camera in various shooting situations.​
Our Goal Is To Give You Creative Choices

When You're Ready To Make Prints ... We produce the best photographic prints, enlargements and photo art in the U.S. We've worked with America's photographers since 1974.

Quick Links For Online Ordering

iPrints Professional (ROES)
has thousands of photo print sizes and products. It's designed for serious amateurs, professional photographers and power users.
iPrints Classic is an easy-to-use site for amateurs and consumers. You'll be able to get pro-quality photographic prints with no learning curve!
iPrints.com ... our newest site ... lets you order beautiful prints directly from your Mac, PC, iPhone or Android.

Are You Shooting Film ... or Would You Like To?

Learn more about our new upload options. Then ...
Mail your film to us for developing, scanning and/or prints.

If You Need Any Help...
Please call or visit our laboratory store if you live in South Florida. We're here to help!
image3583454.jpg
2960 Simms St., Hollywood, FL 33020
(800) 327-1776 • (954) 925-0105
Customer Service Hours:
M - F 10AM - 5PM
info@dalelabs.com
www.dalelabs.com

Paul Farkas

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 28, 2000
www.odwire.org
School/Org
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
More help for Photographer Hobbyists...

Photo Tip of the Month
How To Transform
Your Photos Into
Prize-Winners
Hi Paul,

Here's a fast, easy way to improve your photographs:

Inside many of your snapshots are
photographic masterpieces.

The secret to optimizing your images ... and creating impressive enlargements ... is using professional software to turn
good photographs into great ones.

We here to help ... with three (3) free online software programs
that let you crop & order pro-quality prints in minutes.​
image11029706.jpg
This photo is a good one. The composition
has nice balance & color, as is.
If you entered it in a camera club competition it might win
a 3rd place or honorable mention award.​
image11029705.jpg
But ... this picture-within-a-picture is far stronger.
It has a much better chance of scoring higher; perhaps
1st place or Best-in-Competition.

All it takes is selective cropping when
you make your print.
Use Our Free Online Programs
To Crop Your Images
  • iPrints Classic allows cropping to the proportions of the print size you're ordering. There's no learning curve!
  • iPrints.com works on Macs, PCs & cell phones. Just choose a print size. Then, use the slider tool on computers or finger movements on your smart phone to crop your images.
  • iPrints Professional is for computer proficient amateurs & pros. You'll download our ROES ordering software into your Mac or PC. ROES has both slider tools and the ability to input numerical changes for precise cropping.
Any of our free programs will allow you to crop your images
to perfection.​
Best regards,
Dale

I hope you find this idea useful.
Please feel free to share this newsletter with friends.

Call us if you have any questions at (954) 925-0103.

We're here to help! Monday - Friday 10AM - 5PM
image3583454.jpg
2960 Simms St., Hollywood, FL 33020
(800) 327-1776 • (954) 925-0105
Customer Service Hours: M - F 10AM - 5PM
Online Photo Lab Services:
ROES - For Pros & Advanced Amateurs
iPrints.com - Prints From PCs, Macs & Cell Phones
iPrints Classic - Easy Ordering For Beginning Photographers, Amateurs & Small Orders
https://dalelabs.bmetrack.com/c/l?u...&email=EP0qXUGwt0U7QzO0qMyIDaiyS3uKQkhp&seq=3
Film Processing: Order Form • Get a Free Mailer
Online Ordering of Film Processing
www.dalelabs.cominfo@dalelabs.com