Basketball coach fired in Maine

• Thread starter Stephen McDaniel
  • Start date
More information...

Stephen McDaniel said:
LEEDS, Maine (AP) - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to "check their manhood," administrators said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6434832?MSNHPHMA

There's not a high school football coach in the state of Texas that could keep his job if people were as sensitive here as in Maine.
Was it a girl's basketball team?:rolleyes:

Stephen McDaniel said:
LEEDS, Maine (AP) - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to "check their manhood," administrators said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6434832?MSNHPHMA

There's not a high school football coach in the state of Texas that could keep his job if people were as sensitive here as in Maine.

I think the problem was not in saying it but in forcing the players to actually do it en masse, in front of each other.

I played a LOT of hockey growing up and I have also coached hockey. I've had my share of coaches yell and scream at me and I've done my share of yelling and screaming at my players.

But I think this little exercise that this coach did showed some poor judgement. I'm not sure he should have been fired though.

Ken Elder said:
I think the problem was not in saying it but in forcing the players to actually do it en masse, in front of each other.

I played a LOT of hockey growing up and I have also coached hockey. I've had my share of coaches yell and scream at me and I've done my share of yelling and screaming at my players.

But I think this little exercise that this coach did showed some poor judgement. I'm not sure he should have been fired though.

Yes, a little over zealous maybe. A fireable offense? The world is a changin'. Remember when Walter Mathau (sp?) was drinking and cussing in the dug out in The Bad News Bears? Good times.:p

Stephen McDaniel said:
Yes, a little over zealous maybe. A fireable offense? The world is a changin'. Remember when Walter Mathau (sp?) was drinking and cussing in the dug out in The Bad News Bears? Good times.:p

Part of the problem is that schools and sports teams are HYPER sensitive to ANY sort of sexual misconduct whether its real or perceived.

We had a girls volleyball teacher in CT removed from coaching, though not fired from classroom teaching because he drove a player home from practice after the girls parents failed to show up. The school had a policy that said teachers/coaches can't be alone in a car with one of their students/players.

They were going to fire this guy until the parents AND the player involved begged the schoolboard to take no action at all. The compromise was to just strip him of his coaching duties. The coach made the legitmate point that there is also a policy that teachers/coaches can't leave students unattended in situations like this. So the coach was essentially damned if he drove her home, and damned if he didn't.

It is a strange world...it some ways we fly off the handle at things that in the past were not even given a second glace. We also have some things that we ignore that in the past would have been cause for a riot.

The world is a' changin.

Just as an aside--I went to college with the principal! Funny, this wasn't that big of a story here in Maine. I heard it briefly on the local news and that was it. I'm pretty sure that many coaches in football and such have said much worse and not been in trouble. He should have left it at the big b***s comment.