Dec 28, 2000
www.odwire.org
School/Org
Columbia University / PCO
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
CEwire2016 turned out the lights at Midnight 5/1/16.

With only a single year in existence, it was a great success. Nearly 3000 registered to take up to 50 hours of quality COPE approved courses by first class presenters. The low cost and convenience, taking the program either live the first two days, or on demand that balance of the time, was an added bonus.

We learned some things along the way that might help us with CEwire2017.

A great miscalculation was only charging an additional $50 for group practice admission. The thinking was that a partner in a practice could benefit from a discount. Many of the group practices registered far more than another single OD. One practice registered 20 additional practitioners. Our loss their gain.

Another disappointment was the lack of major financial support from the large multinational companies. We felt that making the profits go to two optometry charities, companies would dig into their deep pockets for support. This did not happen. Although, we had a fairly large group of vendors, they paid only a fraction of what they would pay at a live exhibit hall.

We are gratified that we paid our speakers at least double the going rate to attract the very best. Paying for 50 hours was a steep fixed cost. Do we really need so many course hours in 2017?

What is your opinion of CEwire2016? Is there anything we can do to make it better?

Please share...this is the place.

I have already requested NCLE certification. :D

I humbly submit that paying speakers double should no longer be necessary. They don't have to travel, which is a bonus for them. I say lower speaker fees and keep the CE pricing as low as you are able for attendees. <readying myself for speaker disagreement :)>

Can we brainstorm ideas for better exhibitor engagement? Maybe highlight some features that exhibitors didn't take advantage of? What can CEwire give that other venues can't (besides no travel)?

Congratulations on a great meeting!

Reactions: Kandi S. Moller
Staff classes, like how to deal with unhappy pts, how to sell your office over the phone, fend off "I just want what my insurance covers" from Davis or EyeMed pts.....psychological stuff.

Reactions: Tom Byers OD
The courses were great and the price is very reasonable. I think you should not give so big of a group discount.

Do not get rid of the group discount :p

Put the hours per course in the description

I humbly submit that paying speakers double should no longer be necessary. They don't have to travel, which is a bonus for them. I say lower speaker fees

I don't agree. Speakers deserve an hourly fee equal to the most productive OD or OMD.

We want quality. It takes time to design an interesting course. Rehearsal for smooth presentation essential. The recording for a 50 minute hour without stumbling requires talent.

I hope we can maintain the highest lecture fees and continue to attract the very best.

Reactions: Frederick Frost
Is there a deadline for printing our certificates?

Send all questions to administrator Chis Phillips...
Chris Phillips <cphillips@office.bitsonthewire.com>

I think 50 hours is more than enough. Cut some there, go to 40. You probably have metrics on # of classes viewed and tests taken/passed? My decrease from having taken every class and credit in the first CEWire 2015 to only taking about 12 hours of CE2016 was that I didn't need any for this license cycle(even though Maryland accepts 20 per 2 years). Plus there was no IPad contest for taking all class hour and passing the quizzes this time.:mad:

Cut the group rate to 2fer1 at most. It is already cheap enough. Give supporting members get minimal bonus discount. Keep early registration discount.

All the lectures I attended were well worth the time, and I would've watched more if they were up a couple more weeks.

Thoughts for other lectures/lecturers - how about Makler on practice management, Panzer on tools in my practice both on the floor and in the closet(may need 3 hours there), Frankel on how to prepare for the next 10+ years in optometry(may need >40 hours):). Kidding, not really.