CEwire2016: Register & Watch Now Through May 1, 2016!

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
cewire-1000-on-demand-2.png

REGISTER HERE

About the Event
[parsehtml]<hr>[/parsehtml]CEwire2016 is the next virtual CE conference by ODwire.org, the largest online community for ECPs.

With 50 COPE-Approved CE hours online from leading speakers on a variety of clinical and practice management topics, for a groundbreaking price of $179, this is one event you won't want to miss!

Watch On-Demand: On your own schedule

Come watch the courses, contact the speakers to ask questions (or talk about the lecture here on ODwire.org), visit our extensive exhibit hall (with vendor discounts!) and watch our interactive CEwire2016 Livestream interviews throughout the show.

You can watch these recorded sessions at your own pace, any time between now and May 1st, 2016. View as many times as you like, pause, rewind -- even watch them on your phone!

REGISTER HERE

Speakers & Topics
[parsehtml]<hr>[/parsehtml]We've put together an A-list group of speakers, giving talks on a wide variety of clinical and practice management subjects. With 50 COPE-Approved CE credit hours, you'll always find something interesting to watch.

Exhibit Hall
[parsehtml]<hr>[/parsehtml]CEwire also features a virtual exhibit hall, where leading vendors are demoing their products and are on hand to answer questions.

*** Many vendors are offering exclusive show discounts! ***

Testimonials!
[parsehtml]<hr>[/parsehtml]Don't take our word for it -- Over 2,300 ODs have already participated in CEwire2016!

Read some of their experiences and impressions.

Our Philosophy
[parsehtml]<hr>[/parsehtml]We believe that CE is useful to keep a doc's skills current, and to protect the public.

We believe CE should be affordable and not an undue financial burden on clinicians.

We believe that the quality of CE is primarily determined by the caliber of the presenters giving the talk, thus we spare no expense to get the best speakers we can. We feel that if our speaker's budget isn't the single largest line-item in the expense column, we're doing something wrong.

We believe that profits from events like this one (when they exist!) should be shared.

Surplus profits from this event are once again being distributed to eye care charities whose goals are either to help folks with vision disorders, or to advance the science and practice of eye care:
Upon registration, you may choose which organization you'd like profits from your registration fee to go towards.

We want everyone who registers for the event to feel good about attending, and to know that their dollars are being recycled back into the field that they've dedicated their professional lives to.

Registration

Individual Registration: $179
Entire Office (convers two or more registrations!): $249
Students may register for FREE

REGISTER HERE

Learn More
[parsehtml]<hr>[/parsehtml]Have any questions about the event? Contact us or talk about the event with your peers at ODwire.org.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a state where only 4 credits are allowed to be "online" CE. Is there only one flat price? Or is there a pay per credit option?

Hi Kyle, nope it is a flat rate. We priced it so that even folks who are in low-credit states won't be paying all that much (and we hope that even if you take a few of the courses for CE credit that you'll stick around for at least some of the other courses -- they are going to be great.)

If we priced it by individual credit, it would have to be more expensive. Closer to the $15-20 dollars per credit hour that other CE conferences normally charge. So the savings just wouldn't be there, unless you only took a few classes.

The way SECO handles this at their conference is instructive -- if you pay for 'the whole enchilada' it is like $700, but if you want to go per-credit, you still have to pay a $200 entry fee PLUS a stiff fee for each class you take.)

If you are planning to buy any equipment from one of our vendors, the conference will pay for itself, as many of the vendors will be discounting their stuff at the show.

thanks
adam

Reactions: Steve Silberberg
I live in a state that recognizes ZERO online CE. I did CEWire2015, and already signed up for CEWire2016. Why?

#1 Great courses.

#2 Can take the courses over a period of almost 4 months.

#3 Cope approved, so I can use the hours toward board certification.

#4 Even if I don't attend all courses, I get to pick the ones I want to and it's still an unbelievable low price.

#5. If a profit is made I get to pick the American Optometric Foundation for my part of the donation. You also have the option to choose VOSH International.

#6 Did I say great courses and education in clinical as well as practice management, all at an unbelievable low price?

Reactions: Steve Silberberg
I live in a state that recognizes ZERO online CE. I did CEWire2015, and already signed up for CEWire2016. Why?

#1 Great courses.

#2 Can take the courses over a period of almost 4 months.

#4 Even if I don't attend all courses, I get to pick the ones I want to and it's still an unbelievable low price.

#5. If a profit is made I get to pick the American Optometric Foundation for my part of the donation. You also have the option to choose VOSH International.

#6 Did I say great courses and education in clinical as well as practice management, all at an unbelievable low price?

Thank you Stan for that unsolicited boost. We had you and other Florida ODs in mind when we designed the courses and speakers.

The Florida Optometry Board for reasons unknown, do not accept any COPE approved on line credit. We'll match our courses and the ability to absorb the material with a 10 question quiz per hour guarantee against any course given at an on site OD or OMD convention.

The CEwire2016 set up costs are great. We want to keep the cost per credit hour low so every OD, no matter what their financial situation may participate. That means we must have to have participants who enjoy and benefit from the courses even if they can't use the C/E credits.

We hope ODs agree with our approach and will offer their support by signing up.

I'm embarrassed to admit, but I never even thought of that (D'oh!) What other programs are COPE credits useful for?

I made an event out of CEWire 2015 even though I was either at home or at the office. Worked out great. Excited about 2016.

CE in pajamas, slippers, and with a mug of hot chocolate. What could be better?

I think Paul and I are the only ones who dress up for this event. And even I can't convince him to wear a tie! :)

I think Paul and I are the only ones who dress up for this event. And even I can't convince him to wear a tie! :)

The I can do to look presentable is lose some weight for our 14 hours of live production.:cool:

The I can do to look presentable is lose some weight for our 14 hours of live production.:cool:

So we're not shooting this one in HD I take it?

For our kiwi friends, the New Zealand board is reviewing our event for suitability, i'm hopefully that they will allow credits from the conference to be used towards your relicensure!

I know you are a smaller market, with only 600 or 700 ODs, but I don't want anyone to be excluded if we can help it! We had many people take the courses last time just for the sheer educational value, but if you are spending the time, I really want to see the credits count.

Stay tuned...

is this considered live ce or correspondence ce? if I use the recordings can the ce still be considered actual ce courses or only correspondence?

is this considered live ce or correspondence ce? if I use the recordings can the ce still be considered actual ce courses or only correspondence?

In NJ? Our courses are good for 20 hours, as far as I know. @Steve Silberberg can give you the final word about your state :)

thanks
ad

In NJ? Our courses are good for 20 hours, as far as I know. @Steve Silberberg can give you the final word about your state :)

thanks
ad
here is the complete NJ story:
20 of the 50 credits can be from online/journals etc, but of the 30 tpa credits needed, only 10 of those can be online.
Worded differently, 10 of your 20 regular credits can be online, and maximum 10 of 30 tpa credits can be online.

Or, from the source...http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/regulations/Chapter-38-New-Jersey-State-Board-of-Optometrists.pdf

e) The Board shall grant a maximum of 20 of the mandatory 50 continuing professional

optometric education credits, including a maximum of 10 of the mandatory 30 TPA credits

required, from any or all of the following:

1) Videotape, audiotape, computer media, Internet, journal, or correspondence courses or

programs. The course or program shall include an examination at the end of the course

or program. Credit for correspondence and other individual study courses or programs

will be given only in the renewal period in which the course is completed with a

successful final examination. TPA credits may be obtained from participating in any of

these courses that are primarily devoted to the diagnosis, treatment and management of

ocular disease, ocular pathology or the ocular manifestation of systemic disease;

2) Structured grand rounds, which is a presentation, with a formal outline of course or

program material, of clinical cases involving actual patient encounters and the lecture

and discussion of the diagnosis and treatment of the particular patient condition. Nonstructured

grand rounds that consist of observation of individual patient care shall not be

accepted for credit. TPA credits may be obtained from participating in structured grand

rounds that are primarily devoted to the diagnosis, treatment and management of ocular

disease, ocular pathology or the ocular manifestation of systemic disease;

3) Hands-on demonstrations of instrumentation when accompanied by didactic lectures.

TPA credits may be obtained from participating in hands-on demonstrations of

instrumentation that are primarily devoted to the diagnosis, treatment and management

of ocular disease, ocular pathology or the ocular manifestation of systemic disease;

4) Interactive workshops which include demonstrations and applications of hands-on

techniques and skills in optometric procedures and instrumentations accompanied by

didactic lectures. TPA credits may be obtained from participating in interactive

workshops that are primarily devoted to the diagnosis, treatment and management of

ocular disease, ocular pathology or the ocular manifestation of systemic disease;

5) Preparation and presentation of a continuing professional optometric education lecture.

TPA credits may be obtained from preparing and presenting continuing professional

optometric education lectures that are primarily devoted to the diagnosis, treatment and

management of ocular disease, ocular pathology or the ocular manifestation of systemic

disease;

6) Preparation of an educational or scientific article authored and published in a

professional refereed journal. TPA credits may be obtained from preparing an

educational or scientific article authored and published in a professional refereed journal

that is primarily devoted to the diagnosis, treatment and management of ocular disease,

ocular pathology or the ocular manifestation of systemic disease;

7) Preparation and presentation of a continuing professional optometric education lecture

course or program: two credits for each hour of a new presentation up to a maximum of

twelve credits. For purposes of this paragraph, "new" represents a course or program

that the licensee has not taught previously in any educational setting. One credit for each

hour of a presentation shall be given for subsequent sessions involving substantially

identical subject matter up to a maximum of 12 credits, provided the original material has

been updated and subject to the credit limits of N.J.A.C. 13:38-7.4(d); and

8) A residency or a fellowship, as defined in N.J.A.C. 13:38-7.4(b)3: 25 credits, of which

12.5 shall be TPA credits, upon completing each residency or fellowship.

A New Year greeting for one of CEwire2016 charities.

for those unfamiliar with VOSH...

on.jsp

a83ff0bc-8663-4b85-b9bc-985c6f9d2cf3.jpg

ee5d28d9-5bae-44fa-8796-22ded9415731.png
YOU can change lives by taking
advantage of the last chance for charitable giving this year. Give the Gift of Sight!

The young girl who for the first time sees that trees have individual leaves.
The mother who for the first time sees her child's face.
The father who can now provide for his family thanks to a pair of glasses.
The boy who now sees the blackboard and has a real chance at life.

By donating to VOSH/International, you not only give the gift of sight to individuals, you help break a link to poverty. More than 600 million on the planet have impaired vision or functional blindness. Your donation gives hope and opportunity for education, work and a quality of life.

Join us in helping establish sustainable new clinics and optometry schools in under-served areas of the world with our partner Optometry Giving Sight while our many missions, clinics and equipment assistance programs continue to provide immediate vision care.

VOSH/International thanks you for your past support bringing the smiles and hopes to so many as wonderfully shown by the video below. And we hope these smiles inspire you to join and continue to give the gift of sight by donating this year to VOSH/International.

BEST WISHES FOR 2016 FROM VOSH/INTERNATIONAL!

VOSH/International™ is a 501c3 not-for-profit organization on a mission to bring vision to every person on the planet! Tax ID #31-1093763
www.vosh.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to arrange my work schedule around the lectures. I need live courses, and only in ocular disease and pharmacology. Is there a schedule of what lectures are offered when?

I'm trying to arrange my work schedule around the lectures. I need live courses, and only in ocular disease and pharmacology. Is there a schedule of what lectures are offered when?

Do you have hours both Saturday and Sunday?

How many live hours ocular disease and pharmacology are required by New York State?

Yes we are open 11-7 on both Saturday and Sunday January 16th and 17th than ondemand for 90 days. there is a multitude of anterior , posterior seg eye disease as well as Pharmacology. My own lecture is on off label uses of pharmaceuticals

New York allows a maximum of 9 live interactive online hours per 3 year renewal period.

Let's hope the optometry state boards become more liberal and allow more on line hours in the future.

I don't think the citizens of Missouri and Oregon have been damaged by allowing ODs to receive all their optometry C/E credits on line.

So if we watch the lectures live streaming it counts as regular ce but if we watch it time shifted it counts as correspondence? Where to the wonderful NJ "oral" ce requirements fit in?

So if we watch the lectures live streaming it counts as regular ce but if we watch it time shifted it counts as correspondence? Where to the wonderful NJ "oral" ce requirements fit in?[/QUOTE
TPA
Orals are not counted online in NJ but you can use them for up to 20 hours including TPA
From ARBO:
CE Requirements for New Jersey
CE Renewal Period for New Jersey : 5/1/2015 - 4/30/2017
Requirement TPA NON-TPA
CORRESPONDENCE or INTERNET Up to 20 Up to 20
OCULAR DISEASE or PHARMACOLOGY or TMOD 30
Total Required Hours: 50 50
Timeframe (in years) for CE Requirements: 2 2
Other Requirements: Ocular Disease, Pharmacology courses: 20 hours Topical TPA, 10 hours Oral TPA.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, steve! If anyone has questions, again feel free to post them here. We've gotten a huge response to the conference so far -- our registrations are putting us right at the size of Optometry's Meeting so far, and we're still two weeks out.... this is officially the largest online CE event yet held.

exciting stuff.

ad

Reactions: DavidWells
Thanks for posting, steve! If anyone has questions, again feel free to post them here. We've gotten a huge response to the conference so far -- our registrations are putting us right at the size of Optometry's Meeting so far, and we're still two weeks out.... this is officially the largest online CE event yet held.

exciting stuff.

ad

And there is more...

We still must learn what sort of discounts the vendors will offer on our live days 1/16/16 and 1/17/16.

Even if there is no need for COPE approved C/E credits the savings on product and service purchase will more than pay for the registration fee.

I SIGNED UP , YEAY !!!!

Excellent, looking forward to having you there!

As of this morning, it looks like we've already exceeded the registrations from the last conference, and have surpassed the AOA conference for OD registrations. Getting the same number as Expo will be a reach, but we're going to give it our best shot!

ad

Excellent, looking forward to having you there!

As of this morning, it looks like we've already exceeded the registrations from the last conference, and have surpassed the AOA conference for OD registrations. Getting the same number as Expo will be a reach, but we're going to give it our best shot!

ad

And there is more...

We are getting international sign ups from non-English speaking countries. Would you be believe a group of optometrists from Latvia.

Sure sure these Latvians have a better command of English then we have of their native language.

What one speaker thought of the conference so far:
Steve:

It was an honor and a privilege to be part of your terrific on-line conference. thanks for inviting me

Richard

richard s. witlin m.d.

For those looking to save thousands of dollars on equipment, products and services Sunday 1/17/16 is the final day to visit the vendor booths live. for access to the booths you must be registered for the CEwire2016 conference.

For more details visit CEwire2016 Live! the streaming service is opened to all ODwire.org members.

Are there threads created on ODWire for each lecture? I was listening to a lecture on Glaucoma tonight and noticed an error in one of the graphs presented that ought to be brought to light. Not sure how to do that. -Charlie

Are there threads created on ODWire for each lecture? I was listening to a lecture on Glaucoma tonight and noticed an error in one of the graphs presented that ought to be brought to light. Not sure how to do that. -Charlie

Yes, there will be! I just have to key the rest in... will do later today. Still recovering from the live stream!

ad