1. CEwire2019 is here!
    56 COPE Approved Credits/$149 Early Bird Price
    LEARN MORE!
    Dismiss Notice

CEwire2019: Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'CEwire2019' started by AdminWolf, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:42 PM.

Tags:
  1. AdminWolf

AdminWolf Site Administrator & Tech Lead
    Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    University of Michigan Medical School
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    [​IMG]

https://www.cewire2019.com

56 COPE-Approved CE credits
    ONLINE LIVE: January 26 & 27th, 2019
    ON DEMAND: Through July 1, 2019

EXHIBIT HALL with exclusive discounts

Early Bird Registration: $149 (a $40 savings!) - Expires Jan 1, 2019.

REGISTER HERE | Current Course List | Speakers | Vendors

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (If you have more questions, post in this thread!)

1. What is CEwire2019?
    CEwire2019 is the largest online optometric CE conference. It is the fifth annual conference we've held.

2. When is CEwire2019? Where is it held?
    The event will be held LIVE ONLINE, January 26 & 27, 2019, then the courses will also be available to view online, on demand, through July 1st, 2019.

3. What if I can't make it to the live show?
    Don't worry, lots of folks can't, so they watch the courses on demand.

4. How much does it cost to attend?
    Registration is $189 for an individual to attend. You can take as many classes as you like for that price.

We offer an early bird $40 discount (bringing the total to $149). This ends January 1st, 2019. So register today!

At around $3 per credit hour, there's no less expensive way to get your required CE hours in!

*** STUDENTS AND ANYONE WHO DOES NOT NEED COPE CREDITS MAY ATTEND FOR FREE!!

Just select the "student" registration type when you register.
    Remember: this registration type means you will NOT get COPE credit.

5. Does my state or province allow me to take CE online? And how much can I take?
    Just about every state or province allows some internet CE.

Please look at this page to see how much, we've tried to keep the list as up-to-date as possible, but when it doubt, contact your state or province board.

6. What kind of credits are offered at CEwire2019?
    ALL lectures at CEwire2019 are COPE approved.
    Each lecture has an associated quiz, per COPE rules.

We get the lectures certified by COPE in TWO WAYS:

* If you watch a course live on January 26th & 27th, the courses is good for "Online Interactive" credit.

* If you watch a course ON DEMAND through July 1st, 2019, the course is good for "Online Enduring" Credit.

* You DO NOT need to take the course tests immediately when you watch a lecture. You can come back at ANY TIME until July 1st, 2019 to take and pass the quiz associated with a class.

7. I am Canadian - can I attend?
    Of course! A large number of Canadian ODs have taken our courses in the past.

Our courses are considered "Category A" by the Ontario board.

8. How do I submit the credits to my state board?

We use the ARBO OE Tracker to automatically submit the credits for you, so normally you won't need to do anything.

However, should you need copies of your certificates, you can log in to your CEwire2019 control panel and download certificates there as well.

9. What is the Virtual Exhibit Hall? Are there discounts?

Many leading vendors are participating at CEwire2019. Several are offering show discounts (why? because they don't have the expensive of carrying equipment with them to a real show, naturally!)

You can see the current vendor list here. We'll also be posting the advertised discounts as we learn about them in the CEwire2019 Forum.

10. What is the CEwire2019 Livestream?
    During the live portion of the conference, we'll be livestreaming from ODwire.org HQ. We'll be interviewing the speakers, talking about the vendor discounts, and keeping you informed on everything that's happening at the conference.

You will be able to access the livestream from the CEwire2019 site as it happens.

2. Michael Ford

Michael Ford ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2008
    School/Org:
    State University Of New York
    City:
    Danville
    State:
    VA
    looking at your list VA has changed its rules. Now it requires 20 Hours, 10 online and 10 live which I believe includes internet live.

3. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Thanks -- so 20 total, 10 online, 10 live -- but does "live" mean "internet live", ie, could you theoretically do all 20 online if you took 10 hours of the "online interactive" courses on Jan 26 & 27, then the remaining 10 on demand?

4. Michael Ford

Michael Ford ODwire.org Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2008
    School/Org:
    State University Of New York
    City:
    Danville
    State:
    VA
    I am not a lawyer but I believe that is correct.

here is the wording:
    1. At least 10 hours shall be obtained through real-time, interactive activities, including in-person or electronic presentations, provided that during the course of the presentation, the licensee and the lecturer may communicate with one another;

2. No more than two hours may consist of courses related to recordkeeping, including coding for diagnostic and treatment devices and procedures or the management of an optometry practice, provided that such courses are not primarily for the purpose of augmenting the licensee's income or promoting the sale of specific instruments or products; and

3. For TPA-certified optometrists, at least 10 hours shall be in the areas of ocular and general pharmacology, diagnosis and treatment of the human eye and its adnexa, including treatment with new pharmaceutical agents, or new or advanced clinical devices, techniques, modalities, or procedures.

5. Richard Pagan

Richard Pagan ODwire.org Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2006
    School/Org:
    New England College of Optometry
    City:
    Pine Bush
    State:
    NY
    that list is inaccurate for NY. Every single hour of CE can be obtained via "Live" courses.

6. Russell Lee

Russell Lee Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    School/Org:
    UCB
    City:
    LA
    State:
    CA
    So viewing the live lectures and then taking and passing the tests at a later date will qualify as "live" CE units?

7. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Just so I understand this -- CEwire gets our classes approved two ways. "Online Interactive" = you watch the lecture "live" on Jan 26 & 27, and you can interact with the speaker via text chat. The alternative is to watch "on demand" through July 1st, with no text chat interaction.

Are you saying that in NY you can use the "Online Interactive" identically to in-person CE?

thanks
    ad

8. Richard Pagan

Apr 4, 2006
    School/Org:
    City:
    Pine Bush
    State:
    NY
    yes, there is verbiage on the state board website that states exactly that. The key is the live interaction, I can ask a question of the speaker ,etc.

9. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Thanks, good to know. Interesting that some states make it clearer than others!

10. Richard Pagan

Apr 4, 2006
    School/Org:
    City:
    Pine Bush
    State:
    NY
    What is a live course?

Answer: Live courses are those in which you are able to interact with the instructor. For example: a live lecture; a webinar, a telecourse or teleconference in which you and the instructor can speak directly with each other; a course in which you and other practitioners discuss a taped presentation with a facilitator's assistance; a computerized course in which you are able to interact directly with the instructor. On the other hand, a televised lecture with no means of direct interaction would not be acceptable as a live course even if it is a live telecast.

taken from nys board website

11. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Ok, so can I put 20 credits on my chart? (you need 20 every 3 years?)

thanks
    ad

12. Richard Pagan

Apr 4, 2006
    School/Org:
    City:
    Pine Bush
    State:
    NY

13. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    wow, that is great. updating the wiki now...
    ad

14. Loc Pham

Loc Pham Member

Feb 11, 2002
    School/Org:
    Southern California College of Optometry
    City:
    Chandler
    State:
    AZ
    Adam:

Are these courses downloadable and can be watched offline? i.e. for long plane rides or places where we don't have internet service?

15. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    Great question --

There's no direct way to download the lectures, though with firefox and chrome you can get a plugin that will allow you to download any video online that you're watching.

But the reason you don't want to do that with CEwire is COPE & their rules about online CE.

One rule is that the software needs to be able to ascertain that you actually watched the lecture before taking the quiz, in order to obtain credit. Ours does this.

If the software just allowed people to download a video, then watch using an alternate video player, it would be unable to know whether or not they watched it for the allotted time. Or at all.

Make sense? This is just one of the rules that we have to follow in order to make sure all the lectures are COPE-tastic!

16. Paul Farkas

Paul Farkas Administrator

Dec 28, 2000
    School/Org:
    Columbia University / PCO
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR

Another reason why CEwire courses can match any bricks and mortar houses. Do state boards understand this?

17. AdminWolf

Staff Member

Feb 24, 2001
    School/Org:
    City:
    Lake Oswego
    State:
    OR
    I think they do. Remember the reason that COPE was created was to provide a common standard for CE that acts as a quality seal. A lecture that is "COPE Approved" is supposed to be reassuring to state boards.

The standards for online CE are necessarily a bit higher, so I don't fault COPE for coming up with a view time requirement. Many states want it.