Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
CEwire2022 is open for registration!

Come back to this forum for more information and to ask questions about the event.

Mark those weekend dates on your calendar.

There were requests from ODs, who have Saturday hours and needed to attend live classes only on Sunday, their day off.
Others wanted fewer weekends for live courses. To accommodate both requests we are presenting the full 60 hours with longer hours daily over 3 weekends, rather than 4 as in the past.
Right, the plan is each weekend to do two 10-hours days -- that's a total of 60 credits that people could get if they sat through the whole thing on all 3 weekends

ad

Registration is open!

This thread is public, and designed for people to ask questions before they register.

Note that once you sign up, you'll get access to the private CEwire2022 forum, where we'll begin to discuss each lecture in more detail, and learn more about what vendors are offering at the show.

-- ad

Last edited:
From ARBO.... So will CEWire count as LIVE?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/arbo.org/public/COPE+Announces+Transition+Period+FINAL+10.29.21.pdf

COPE Announces Transition Period for Interactive Online CE
10/29/2021
In response to travel restrictions and many states adopting emergency orders related to COVID-19 in 2020, COPE
temporarily modified its format policy to allow COPE Administrators and Accredited Providers to give “live” credit for CE
courses that were presented in an interactive distance learning format (i.e. live webinar.) Since in-person CE is resuming
and state emergency orders have expired, this temporary policy modification is ending 12/31/2021 and “live” COPE CE
will require both learners and instructors to be physically present in the same room.

CE
will require both learners and instructors to be physically present in the same room.
It is best to check with your state board, however before we placed the final touches for CEwire2022, we made certain our approach has the approval of ARBO and COPE.

Through 6/31/22 the following is considered on line instructor and learner are in the same room...

LIVE Online:
February 19 & 20
March 19 & 20
May 14 & 15

Certain states also allow "On Demand"courses for state board credit which requires a 10 question multiple choice quiz

.. and ON DEMAND through August 1, 2022.

Both Live Online and On Demand will allow participants to have access to all 60 credits.

The answer is "it depends". And by that I mean, "It depends on your state".

All online education will be classified as "Online Interactive" (as before the pandemic), but with no tests.

It is up to each state to decide if they are going to honor this same as being there "in person".

As far as we can tell, all of the states on the west coast (CA-WA-OR) and Canada will honor the CE as live.

The rest of the states i'm not sure about.

By reverting on 1/1/22, ARBO has effectively pushed this issue back to each individual board. For better or worse :-(

As we find out about additional states, we'll let you know (and if anyone has reached out to their boards, please let us know here...)

ad

From ARBO.... So will CEWire count as LIVE?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/arbo.org/public/COPE+Announces+Transition+Period+FINAL+10.29.21.pdf

COPE Announces Transition Period for Interactive Online CE
10/29/2021
In response to travel restrictions and many states adopting emergency orders related to COVID-19 in 2020, COPE
temporarily modified its format policy to allow COPE Administrators and Accredited Providers to give “live” credit for CE
courses that were presented in an interactive distance learning format (i.e. live webinar.) Since in-person CE is resuming
and state emergency orders have expired, this temporary policy modification is ending 12/31/2021 and “live” COPE CE

All online education will be classified as "Online Interactive" (as before the pandemic), but with no tests.

It is up to each state to decide if they are going to honor this same as being there "in person".

As far as we can tell, all of the states on the west coast (CA-WA-OR) and Canada will honor the CE as live.

By reverting on 1/1/22, ARBO has effectively pushed this issue back to each individual board. For better or worse :-(

As we find out about additional states, we'll let you know (and if anyone has reached out to their boards, please let us know here...)

ad
With the rise of Omicron, I think ARBO's decision may have been a bit premature, but I don't see them walking it back. Each state is going to have to decide what it considers acceptable.

Judging by the strong registration rates that we're seeing from the west coast and Canada, I can safely say that people are still gun-shy about travelling if they don't have to.

ad

Iowa is allowing optometrists to complete all CE online through June 30, 2022. Our license renewal cycle starts over July 1, 2022, and as of now our requirements go back to normal at that date with only 10 hours of CE allowed to be online, the rest in person. But I was told the IOA was working to change that as well.

Reactions: Steve Silberberg
CEwire2022 is inching closer! The software is all new this year, so I thought i'd preemptively walk people through it with this little video --

Hope to see you there!

ad

Great Adam! Thanks for making the tour video! That's an impressive suite of "extras" and access points. WAY better and more efficient than a "live in-person" event.

If I can figure a way to download the video and play it in VLC and half-speed, I think my brain would better absorb it. :D

PS: I like the swooossh between slides.

Adam did a fantastic job! Remember the NEW CEWIRE was built from the ground up. NO outside third parties anymore telling us what we can and cannot do! Many hours of work on Adam's part

Great Adam! Thanks for making the tour video! That's an impressive suite of "extras" and access points. WAY better and more efficient than a "live in-person" event.

If I can figure a way to download the video and play it in VLC and half-speed, I think my brain would better absorb it. :D

PS: I like the swooossh between slides.
Thanks Larry.

That little film is actually going to run before each lecture at the event, so people will probably memorize it by the time all is said and done! :)

The reason I'm speaking so quickly is because we won't have that much time before each lecture (each session is chock-full of information.)

thanks
ad

Adam did a fantastic job! Remember the NEW CEWIRE was built from the ground up. NO outside third parties anymore telling us what we can and cannot do! Many hours of work on Adam's part
ODwire.org users with a keen eye can probably tell when watching the video, that we've attempted to integrate the conference platform into ODwire.org itself with this rebuild. (We refer to the whole mess as the "ODwire.org Virtual Event System", for lack of a better term.)

To users, the entire system operates transparently as a whole. But in the background one group of servers is handling registration, credit card processing, private discussion threads, and the file repository, while another is handling the streaming of live video, chatting, and quizzes.

The entire setup allows us to have a greater degree of control, and promotes a higher level of interactivity over a longer period of time than any other platform.

We invested a whole bunch of money, time -- and my sanity -- into the development of this system. So even though CEwire is the 'flagship' event that uses it, my hope is that other optometric groups approach us to take advantage of it as well, since it was almost purpose-built to get credits into ARBO efficiently. :)

(We actually used it to host the NORA 2021 conference last fall)

-- ad

To add to Adam's comments. WE used it for NORA and they were willing to do a "Beta" test that went swimmingly. The difference is 3 tracks and thousands of OD's attending vs. a few hundred at NORA with one track. Thank you, NORA, for taking a chance on us which turned out fantastic.

The NORA conference of course led to new innovations that Adam built into the new CEwire which will evolve along with ODwire for evermore

Reactions: Kacie Monroe
This looks awesome! Can't wait!
Yup, should be fun! Like NORA but improved.

BTW the February schedule is now available, if you'd like to start thinking about which courses to take:

https://www.cewire2022.com/cewire2022-schedule-feb.pdf

The March and May events should have almost all of the same courses, in the same spot on the schedule, so you can easily take each track and maximize the number of credit hours you sit through each time, and be able to watch the courses that are competing against each other.

Does anyone know about Arizona regarding live events vs actual conference attendance for 2022? I have checked the board website and do not see any updates over the long standing CE policies.

Does anyone know about Arizona regarding live events vs actual conference attendance for 2022? I have checked the board website and do not see any updates over the long standing CE policies.
For up to date accuracy, it is best to call your State Board to determine if they are following the lead of ARBO and keeping the Pandemic Rules in place through 6/30/22.

For up to date accuracy, it is best to call your State Board to determine if they are following the lead of ARBO and keeping the Pandemic Rules in place through 6/30/22.
I did call Wed. and rolled to a message machine I'll post AZs 2022 CE policy if they get back to me.

Reactions: Steve Silberberg
yes for California it's the best

Editor's note: Dr Siegal I believe was referring to Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:
I email MI LARA, live interactive is considered "live" in their response...
Good to know -- I should probably put together a running list. I'll add it to the pile of stuff to do :)

ad

Good to know -- I should probably put together a running list. I'll add it to the pile of stuff to do :)

ad
Adam you have the NY information which is also quite positive!

Per the State Board of NY site if you take the events LIVE when the speaker is there. WE have 4 more days of this interaction:
  1. Am I required to physically attend courses to meet the continuing education requirement?
    Answer: No. Optometrists must complete at least three-quarters of their continuing education hours through "live courses" (please see question 18 for the definition of live courses). The balance of the remaining hours may be completed through the appropriate self-study courses.
  2. What is a live course?
    Answer: Live courses are those in which you are able to interact with the instructor. For example: a live lecture; a webinar, a telecourse or teleconference in which you and the instructor can speak directly with each other; a course in which you and other practitioners discuss a taped presentation with a facilitator's assistance; a computerized course in which you are able to interact directly with the instructor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per the State Board of NY site if you take the events LIVE when the speaker is there. WE have 4 more days of this interaction:
I'm confident New York state will continue to have on live interactive as they had prior to the COVID emergency. A quiz willl be required for both live interactive and on demand courses.

Time will tell after 7/1/22. For now New York State ODs should take advantage of the live interactive requiring only attendance.

Hi everyone I just wanted to ask if anybody has seen their CE credits from the awesome March 19-20th CEwire event?..I have not seen all of mine posted?...just one class but I attended one entire day of classes?...anyways, I hope everyone has a great week!....

Hi everyone I just wanted to ask if anybody has seen their CE credits from the awesome March 19-20th CEwire event?..I have not seen all of mine posted?...just one class but I attended one entire day of classes?...anyways, I hope everyone has a great week!....
Hi Ben, all the credits from the March event were transmitted to ARBO. If you're having trouble, here are the two steps to take:

1) Visit the transcript center.

This is the permanent repository for all class credits from CEwire and related events -- starting from CEwire2022 (we just built the transcript center last year; but going forward, it will be the place where we store your credits for all events.)

2) If you don't see your credits here, next step is to contact us at support@cewire2022.com. We'll dive into it for you ASAP and make sure they get sent to ARBO. "No credit left behind" is our motto :)

Thanks,
Adam

I like that "No Credit Left Behind". I will never have a speaker with the subject "Left behinds and how it affects our ocular system" Promise!!

Hi Adam, I see what I was mistaken on....looks like I took the same course on two different weekends not realizing this...duhhhh!! I've taken so many I didn't realized this...so lessoned learned I'll be checking my personal log to make sure whatever classes I attend I have not already attended in the past!....

Hi Adam, I see what I was mistaken on....looks like I took the same course on two different weekends not realizing this...duhhhh!! I've taken so many I didn't realized this...so lessoned learned I'll be checking my personal log to make sure whatever classes I attend I have not already attended in the past!....
You aren't the first person who has done this! I looked at your transcript & indeed you have taken a *ton* of classes already, so the best thing to do at the grand finale next month is to take the low-tech approach & print out the schedule before-hand, and cross off the ones you've already taken :)