Changes to the FTC's Contact Lens Rule (... and how docs can help stop illegal sales)

AdminWolf

Site Administrator & Tech Lead
Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR

The FTC is proposing changes to the Contact Lens Rule that can impact both clinicians and patients alike.

In this InSight Studio interview, we speak with Edward S. Bennett, O.D., M.S.Ed., Chair of the Contact Lens and Cornea Section Council of the American Optometric Association about the proposed changes, and how docs can help prevent illegal contact lens sales.

Remember to report any illegal sales to the AOA via e-mail at StopIllegalCLs@aoa.org

Thanks again to Ed for speaking with me.

I'm curious as to the volume of e-mails the AOA actually receives at that address -- do you think it is well publicized enough, or should we do more? (I might put it in my signature line.)

that was the first time Ive heard of it. I used to report directly to US gov, and I wager all AOA is doing is re-submitting through US gov also. Ever since the latest cl law went into effect I stopped reporting. At this point ANYBODY can get cl's without ever having had an eye exam in their entire life. It is de facto deregulated, and everything 1800 could want, and yet we still have these internet companies hassling us. Can you imagine?

that was the first time Ive heard of it. I used to report directly to US gov, and I wager all AOA is doing is re-submitting through US gov also. Ever since the latest cl law went into effect I stopped reporting. At this point ANYBODY can get cl's without ever having had an eye exam in their entire life. It is de facto deregulated, and everything 1800 could want, and yet we still have these internet companies hassling us. Can you imagine?

I think you should report any and all violations to the aforementioned e-mail. Because without data at their fingertips, the AOA can't do an effective job lobbying.

I realize that reporting is just another pain that you didn't need, but I think it is truly useful when trying to paint a picture for legislators.

There's also the new-ish lobbying group, the Healthcare Alliance for Patient Safety (APS), which is attracting heavy-hitters from industry, focusing on this issue and patient-centered care:

(more about the group here.)

-- ad