Jul 17, 2001
Visit site
School/Org
Pennsylvania College of Optometry
City
Key Biscayne
State
FL
During the years in practice there were many times I envied our medical colleague’s ability to talk to each other in the coffee rooms and hallways of the hospitals they visited on a routine schedule. Those mini-forums provided an opportunity to ask questions, trade information, and discuss, on an informal basis, a whole range of topics that covered facets of practice. Technical problems, new techniques, experiences with new drugs, insurance problems, hospital rules, Medicare… the list was endless.

I experienced a small taste of this exchange during the years I volunteered helping the clinic chiefs in the clinics at The Eye Institute. I’ve always said I got more than I gave during those years.

Paul and Adam Farkas had the foresight to build the website Seniordoc into a marvelous idea exchange that has no limits of geography. The site provides more and better opportunities open to all optometrists than the medical model I use to admire, and it is accessible 24/7 [in the new parlance]. While this wonderful father and son combination didn’t invent the Internet, they had the foresight to adapt it to our needs and provide us with this valuable tool.

Optometry owes them recognition for this accomplishment and I hope all members will join me in this note of congratulations and thanks.

Harvey

I am also grateful for this website. Muchas Gracias!!! The internet and high tech software is in our profession's best interest. I appreciate Dr. Farkas' insight into the needs of today's OD's. It takes a very knowledgeable as well as an intuitive person to run this site. It's refreshing to know that there are helpful, considerate souls in our mist. Their upbeat, positive approach is their best asset. A controller with complete negativity and hopelessness towards the profession could be very detrimental. Thanks for all your encouragement!!!

Your kind thoughts are most appreciated…

Harvey and Connie you have added so much to www.seniordoc.org by your participation. This web site is truly a volunteer effort. No plaques or trophies are handed out. The satisfaction is derived from helping colleagues and making new friends worldwide.

I’m out front with comments, maybe too much, however www.seniordoc.org ,would not be possible without Adam our web master, who watches over us and makes certain the system runs perfectly. Adam volunteering his needed technical expertise, combined with giving us the Wolf Bioscience infrastructure, has made all this possible.

I’m told we are the most visited not for profit web site in Optometry. We are nearly 3000 members strong and growing daily. Our strict policy of no Ophthalmic Industry or Optometric Organization support allows complete independence. The www.seniordoc.org sometimes outspoken membership, truly appreciates this freedom of expresssion.

During 2004 there will be ongoing challenges in the eyecare field. We hope to continue tackling the contentious issues that have become a fact of Optometric life.

How can you show your support? Ask questions and offer opinions. Our membership is blessed with some of the finest thinkers in Optometry. Many are kind enough to step forward when topics are discussed in their area of expertise.

Although nearly 3,000 members seem to be a significant number, it only represents approximately 10% of the Optometric community. I hope that during the coming year many more ODs and Optometry Students will join our ranks. Our name may be “Seniordoc” but over 50% of our membership graduated after 1985. We represent every age group in Optometry. Encourage colleagues to join us, whatever their age.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Paul Farkas, M.S.,O.D., F.A.A.O.- Web site Administrator