Connecticut optometrists seek to limit online eye exams - The Audubon County Advocate Journal

ODwire.org NewsBot

NewsBot
Staff member
Jul 30, 2007
School/Org
Newsbot U
City
Barre
State
VT
Not to be overly critical, but we need to take a stronger stand than this quote. My bet is that this is a misquote or taken out of context.

"I'm going to say for like 95 percent of the people ... they can get away with this," he said, referring to the online exams, which typically include a refraction test that measures a person's prescription for glasses or contacts. "But everybody is kind of taking a risk. Another health condition can develop in your eye that you just won't be aware of."

Reactions: Charles A McBride
Not to be overly critical, but we need to take a stronger stand than this quote. My bet is that this is a misquote or taken out of context.

"I'm going to say for like 95 percent of the people ... they can get away with this," he said, referring to the online exams, which typically include a refraction test that measures a person's prescription for glasses or contacts. "But everybody is kind of taking a risk. Another health condition can develop in your eye that you just won't be aware of."

I agree 95% is way to generous, considering that all it takes is some mild dry eye to produce refractive blur. Reason 1001 on the list of reasons why stand alone refraction is childish and stupid.