Current Status on the Development and Treatment of Myopia (45259-GO)

AdminWolf

Site Administrator & Tech Lead
Staff member
Feb 24, 2001
School/Org
University of Michigan Medical School
City
Lake Oswego
State
OR
Lecturer: @Jeffrey Cooper

This is a review of the current literature describing the effect of atropine, bifocals, andor contact lenses on slowing the progression of myopia.

Cumulative data from a number of studies have demonstrated atropine instilled once a day in myopic eyes resulted in a 90 average reduction of myopia progression, as compared to untreated eyes, i.e., from 0.50 Dyear to 0.05 Dyear.

Pirenzepine, a muscarinic pharmacological agent, has a minimal effect on pupil size and accommodation, and it has been shown to slow myopia by 44.

Bifocals and progressive lenses, which have been used for years to slow the progression of myopia, have recently been shown to produce, on average, only small, clinically insignificant treatment effects. However, their effectiveness is increased in children who are esophoric and have a large lag of accommodation, reducing myopia progression to between 0.25 and 0.40 Dyear. Traditional correcting soft and gas permeable contact lenses, as well as novel spectacle lens designs, have not been shown to be effective in reducing myopic progression.

Under-correction of the refractive error has been shown not only to be ineffective in slowing myopia, but has also been associated with an increased rate of myopia progression. Orthokeratology, using reverse geometry designed lenses, has been shown to be moderately effective in decreasing the progression of myopia by between 30 to 50 in a number of short-term, well-controlled studies, reducing myopia progression to between -0.35 and -0.25 Dyear. Recently, there have been pilot studies using novel peripherally correcting soft contact lenses to slow the progression of myopia.

Two of those lens designs have been shown to be moderately effective in slowing the progression of myopia, both of which had a 30 efficacy, reducing myopia progression to 0.35 Dyear.

In summary, myopia control is entering a new era with the use of contact lenses and pharmaceutical agents to effectively slow its progression with minimal side effects.

Register for CEwire2015
to watch the recorded lecture & get CE credit through August 17, 2015.

Discuss the lecture and ask questions in the thread below.

1. What has your success been with Atropine for myopia control? I've only prescribed it once, for a patient non-compliant with patching, but the parents didn't follow through.
2. I recently had a patient from France tell me, "are you going to correct me 100% or 90%" like he expected me to under-correct. I've also had Chinese nationals ask me the same thing. I believe that under-correction is done more frequently there. Any idea if there are international studies that show under-correction slows the progression of myopia???

1. What has your success been with Atropine for myopia control? I've only prescribed it once, for a patient non-compliant with patching, but the parents didn't follow through.
2. I recently had a patient from France tell me, "are you going to correct me 100% or 90%" like he expected me to under-correct. I've also had Chinese nationals ask me the same thing. I believe that under-correction is done more frequently there. Any idea if there are international studies that show under-correction slows the progression of myopia???
NO NO NO every study shows undercorrection increases Myopic progression rather than slows it!!
http://www.journalofoptometry.org/en/under-correction-of-human-myopia-/articulo/90334414/
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042698902002584
http://www.myopiaprevention.org/undercorrect.html

many many more. Jeff Cooper is the expert but all the literature says so

Dr. Shin;

You will benefit from familiarizing yourself with the Myopia Manual, a unique one-man effort of love. (www.myopia-manual.de)

Klaus Schmid is a physicist who undertook a MAJOR literature search and summary about 14 years ago. He has updated it annually since. It is available as a free 388 pp. .pdf file (and was available in softback from Amazon at one point). He contacted me after finding my pages on myopia control in 2000. He wanted to keep his grandchildren from advancing in myopia.

We found that my flow chart on myopigenesis (see the attachment) and his were remarkably similar, and we've corresponded since. He references my work a few times in the Manual.

Bottom line, with about 1300 references from the scientific literature, organized and discussed, he finds NO agreement in the literature, though some plusses can be seen in certain areas. He has a two-page printable summary of recommendations.

I have an interesting family that I've followed for 5 years. The Dad has wanted me to stop or slow down myopigenesis. I just happened to see them recently for an Rx change follow-up visit. The 15-YOM is up to -1.75 from -0.75 when we started 5 years ago, the 10-YOF is -2.00 from an initial +0.50 or so at age 5. I have them in bifocals and low power miniprisms. The 12-YOM sib is -1.25, but I don't recall his initial Rx.

It's interesting, but it's not certain science, by any means.

[Ooops. There should be an arrow between Increased IOP and Scleral Distortion.]

Refractive Error Model.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lisa Shin

So, today I got a phone call from our local TV station.
The only one I have not been on.

Question: Doctor, a new study released today from Scotland linking Ipads to myopia.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/591449/Children-play-outside-better-eyesight

Hey, its hot in Houston..no one wants to go outside..

And your question for me?
Well, it says in the last 50 years there has been a 50% increase in myopia in the UK.
What are your thoughts..

Did he ask the wrong guy or what?

Well, truthfully, I don't think I had an Ipad, Iphone or even a computer 50 years ago, so how do you figure?

Can I come and interview you..

You sure? You do realize I am the most contrary guy in the country?

Yeah..it'll be fun.

So, I put on a coat and tie.
Now to see if I even get one sentence on the news tonight..

So, mr. reporter..how did you get my name?

Oh, I googled Houston Optometrist and you came up first.

Hmmmm?

So lets see if this works....
I wish I were more technology savy...
But here it is...they really did a good job. Given the guy was in my office for a total of 15 minutes..Gotta like it.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.MOV
    5.3 MB · Views: 581
Reactions: Frederick Frost