Keith E. Watson

Apr 28, 2002
School/Org
UHCO
City
Vernon
State
CT
God, I hate having to make deals! If I can avoid it in anyway I will. I bought my car via fax. I looked on the internet for the cost price, added the options I wanted, tacked on a little profit for the dealer, then faxed my proposal to various dealers around town. I asked them to either meet or beat that price. Slick eh? It worked.

Now I need tires. To avoid having to deal, I had my wife call various tire stores around town for prices. She found out that the SAME COMPANY NAME at different locations had DIFFERENT PRICES on the same friggin' tires!! And it was quite a bit different since some gave her the "buy three get one free deal" and others didn't! Granted these are probably franchises and they have some kind of deal where they can set their own prices, but this is ridiculous. BUYER BEWARE! :mad:

$

Dear Dr. Watson......i was shocked when i called around and discovered that different eyedoctors charged differently for what appeared to me to be the same thing: an eye exam! Maybe we should call the FTC? Here's one you didn't think.......but first some background > I race cars, ergo my cyberaddress EYERACE@aol.com....so.....often when I drive, though I do use the cruise control and often set at [shock] 55 on an interstate with a 55 limit, i don't turn off the cruise control just because it now happens to be some cloverleaf off ramp! Believe me, the squealing does wear the tires down rapidly.....but i have discovered that the dealer will prorate the tires when i get the next set, so.....no fooling.....drive like eye do and your tires will cost less!!!!!

Re: $

Originally posted by Dr. Stanley Hallock
Dear Dr. Watson......i was shocked when i called around and discovered that different eyedoctors charged differently for what appeared to me to be the same thing: an eye exam! Maybe we should call the FTC?

Huh? I was talking about tires--that's why this is in the general forum.

Let me make my point again. I saw radically different prices from the SAME COMPANY in the SAME TOWN on the SAME PRODUCTS. This has nothing to do with optometrists exam prices unless they are the same company. It would be like Dr. Jone's private practice charging $85 at one location and $35 at another (Wal-Mart or Lenscrafters can charge different prices because it's not necessarily the same doctor at each location). Anyway, as far as tires, at least in this town anyway, you better be careful or you might not be getting the best deal possible.

Dr. Hallock:

Are you the only participant in these forums? Think about it before you respond. There are over 2000 members and not all of them are as smart as you are.

Do you think it's better to post helpful hints or proclaim yourself smarter than the rest of us? Do you understand why I posted what I posted? It was supposed to help people. If you feel that it was inappropriate, please tell me now and I'll stop trying to help.

If you want to help then please delete your last post.

I guess some tyre companies may be independently owned franchises?
I had a similar experience when purchasing a car a few years ago. I used the same technique as you & faxed what I wanted (At that stage a brand new Honda Accord... not sure if this model is called this in the US) to all the North Island Honda dealerships. The price differential was interesting, considering that they were all supposed to charge the same!
I guess some businesses just want your business more.
Cheers
Andrew